cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So, how does Highland Ridge Open Range rank?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Thor > Highland Ridge > Open Range UL or Mesa Ridge?

I know by reading enough, every manufacturer of every brand, on every line, will eventually receive posts about glitches, small issues or major problems with the RV that they, or someone they know, have owned.

I am trying to get a general *sense* of where HR OR stands from the long timers and mods on RV.net?

I recently POSTED about the insured total loss of our 2018 TT. Now we are spending dozens & dozens of hours on the hunt (net & phone) for a new one so we don't lose out on the season.

We keep coming back to the Open Range UT2802BH

...or its 100% exactly identical except for stickers (according to an email from HR) sister rv the Mesa Ridge MR2082BH.
7 REPLIES 7

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
As you already know you will get a lot of opinions. Most of them will be the ones who have had problems. We sold our dp motor home and went back to a fiver. It came down to Grand Design or Open Range. During our touch and feel period the difference was a mute point. The OR 3x had the insulation we wanted, quality and most importantly the floor plan. I would buy another and recommend it.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The post sale Highland that is now part of the Thor conglomerate produces average to mediocre RV'a at best.
I would not by a newer unit and I own an Open Range.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design

Outdoors RV

Are either of these models available where you live?
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The ultra lites have that laminated foam floor with 24" between the aluminum joists. I envision a soft, spongy floor after a couple years. That scares me away.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is go to the Open Range owners forum and ask questions. My 2013 Open Range Roamer 5th wheel has been a great trailer. Mostly close trips, but have done a few west trips. Zero problems for us.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Not very high in our book.

2012 Open Range 297RLS.

3 trips to the factory in the first 1-1/2 years and frame flex at pin box still not corrected. Too many other issues to list here. Out of 6 RVs owned this was by far the biggest piece of junk. Kept it almost 3 years then dumped it just to get away from it. Took a good loss and was glad to do it. I don't know hiw anyone can say they're better than anyone else. Just a mass produced RV built from the same exact materials and components right down to the LCI frame as most everyone else.

I attend Hershey and 3 other RV shows every year and look in depth. I noticed no big improvement in Highland Ridge in 2018 from 2012, maybe a step or two down IMO.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been looking at the 280RKS 5th wheel and TT. Overall I'd give them a good rating, based on quality and fit/finish.
They seem to respond to complaints from owners.
We owned a Rockwood and now a PrimeTime. I would rate the Open Range a little higher.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes