cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too much fun with a new camping toy...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last week I finally completed my quest to obtain a nice 4 X 4 - side by side, buggy to enhance our many camping adventures. We just returned from a 4 day 3 night "break the buggy in right" trip and had a blast.

We left early Tuesday morning and drove up through Florence, Superior and then along the western shore of Roosevelt Lake. The climb up to Payson is always a challenge {6 percent + for about 9 miles} but our trusty, dusty 2012 E-350 Class C was more than up to the task {Ya gotta love that 6.8L V-10}.

We stayed at the Rim campground located {not surprisingly} at the top of the Mogollon Rim at 7,500'. The $18 a night CG was a mere $9 with our Geezer cards. The views from the Roim are amazing and there are hundreds of miles of Forrest service roads {gravel and dirt} that just cry out for 4 X 4 exploration.

On Wednesday we drove all the way south to the isolated, very rural town of Young. Most of the road was dirt/gravel and the the elevation ranged from 7,500' all the way down to 5,200' in Young. Thursday saw us heading north on the back gravel roads up to Bear Canyon Lake {more Canyon than Lake} but a great ride. Saw a small herd of Elk, one huge bull and a dozen members of his harem right beside the road.

Stopped at the CAT Scale on the way home and was happy to confirm I am still just {barely} under my max numbers...

Fully loaded, towing the 2,560# of cargo trailer and Polaris RZR the coach is 11,480# {on a GVWR of 11,500} with a GCWR of 14,040# with a GCWR rating of 16,500#. The mileage is down to around 8 but still have plenty of power. Climbed every grade on 87 at 50 - 55 without any issues.

Here are a couple of pics, this one was shot from the top of the rim looking down towards Payson to the southwest and highway 260:

Here's one of our Coach and the new buggy, the trailer is peeking out from behind the coach::

:B
9 REPLIES 9

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the new toy! Having a side by side makes it easy to see things you can't see by driving around, and doesn't require the physical exertion that hiking does. And, a plus for us, we can plow snow with it ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. We just purchased a new Kawasaki Teryx 4X4 side by side and are leaving in a few days for Glacier park Montana and then will work our way south to Wyoming riding trails and fly fishing. We have used an Kawasaki 650 Brute force ATV for several years, the side by side will make the trips a little more comfortable and will extend our range that we can travel.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Brands back great memories from college, time to get back out there with the family! I do like the idea of having a toy along!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
Sounds like a blast, but....no pics!

I have to add them one at a time after getting the initial post in. Computers are not my thing...
:?

:B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful country.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a blast, but....no pics!