cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross Winds

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have been discussing upgrading to a 5th wheel. My question is the those who have went from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel. Does the 5th wheel pull any better with crosswinds? Or is it about the same. The cross winds kill me on long trips.
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L
18 REPLIES 18

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TTs are inherently susceptible to strong gusting side winds. Towed our TT once with strong gusting winds and it was like driving on marbles and hard to stay in a straight line down the highway. Very white knuckle stuff.

A FW can get blown clear over. We spoke to a guy in a CG in Wa. once who regularly travels the I-90 between Spokane and Seattle where there can be strong winds. He said he has seen many FWs blown right over. FWs have a huge sail area compared to TTs and being much taller, makes them easier to blow over. You could be traveling happily down the road and then whammy. Even semi trucks can get blown over so don't assume your FW will be just fine.

If it does get really windy, pull over somewhere and wait it out whether you've got a TT or FW just like semi drivers do sometimes.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I just made the switch. Big difference 28โ€™ TT to 34โ€™ FW, the FW is much more stable in cross wind. As far as backing, there is a difference and there will be an adjustment, but once you get used to it, a FW is just as easy to back up.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I own a triple axle toy hauler and I drive for a multi-state RV dealership. I find the 5th wheel setup to be the most stable of any RV out there. I've driven everything from Class B's to those beautiful 45' diesel pushers in strong winds and the 5th wheel wins hands down in stability.

Hmmm ... our 24 foot Class C motorhome on it's way underloaded over-kill E450 DRW chassis has been pretty solid in cross-winds, and in all other travel conditions we have been in. We have traveled (carefully) in around 65 MPH gusting highway cross-winds with it - which would have been ludicrous towing either a 5'er or TT by anything (carefully or otherwise).

IMHO, towing can never match non-towing from an overall safety viewpoint ... and if one is going to tow ... use a towing vehicle that weighs as much as possible in relation to what is being towed, make what is being towed as short and low-profile as possible, and tow a 5'er instead of a TT.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I own a triple axle toy hauler and I drive for a multi-state RV dealership. I find the 5th wheel setup to be the most stable of any RV out there. I've driven everything from Class B's to those beautiful 45' diesel pushers in strong winds and the 5th wheel wins hands down in stability.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ONE advantage to a TT over a 5er is they are easier to backup.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your understanding is correct, a FW is less likely to sway in the wind, due to what you mentioned. In a severe wind, a slight dog track may happen, but the side to side sway not near as much. You will appreciate the ease of hookup/disconnect as well. It will track a little more to the inside when turning corners, due to hitch point, but you will get used to that quickly.

Jerry

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
If you think that a high profile 5th wheel will magically make the side wind pressure go away, think again. Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe.
The question was "Does the 5th wheel pull any better with crosswinds?"

"Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe."

If I'm not being moved around enough to feel it, it's unlikely that it's an issue. Yes, a sudden gust of wind could be a problem, but that next truck coming toward me could jump the center line too. You simply can't plan for all eventualities. Do what you can and hope for the best.

I have always been under the impression that a 5th wheel was more stable to tow than a TT due to the hitching point being over the axle and a much higher tongue weight. I understand that the crosswind would be the same or greater but the would respond better due to the hitching point.

So as I understand what you guys are saying is there would be no advantage to a 5er in these conditions?
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
If you think that a high profile 5th wheel will magically make the side wind pressure go away, think again. Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe.
The question was "Does the 5th wheel pull any better with crosswinds?"

"Just because you don't feel it doesn't make it safe."

If I'm not being moved around enough to feel it, it's unlikely that it's an issue. Yes, a sudden gust of wind could be a problem, but that next truck coming toward me could jump the center line too. You simply can't plan for all eventualities. Do what you can and hope for the best.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BayouBoys
Explorer
Explorer
As for a truck, I have a F250 diesel. I would be looking for a small 5th wheel if I go that route.

Currently we have a 35' travel trailer that has never felt right towing. Upgrade truck from an F150 to F250 gas and now F250 diesel, adjusted EAZ-lift hitch a dozen different times still does not feel comfortable in the wind.

The kids have gotten older and I want to downsize, DW want more living space.
After all the truck upgrades, I want to make sure I know what to expect if I decide to go the 5th wheel route.
2014 Passport 3220BH
2019 Ford F250 6.7L

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
41โ€™ long 5er in high side winds not an issue. DRW makes all the difference.

One doesn't need a DRW to feel the difference in a crosswind between a TT and 5er.
I have tow our 32' 12,500# GVW 5er directly exposed to Gale Force winds on Hwy 101 just south of Garibaldi on the Oregon coast 2001 Ram 2500 never even felt the wind!! Actually the TV alone felt less stable without the 5er.
I think even a mildly a 1/2 ton with a 5er would be far more stable than the same 1/2 ton with a similar length TT.

I tow a lot in the SoCal PalmSprings area along I-10 to Phoenix. My 98 same as your 01 towing a 32.5' 5er you certainly could feel the wind along with semi's passing. Night and day difference going to the DRW and even a much longer and heavier RV.

For sure a TT is more prone to movement plain and simple!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
To be honest I've never been a cross wind situation with a 5th wheel where I felt uncomfortable. And I've been in some very strong crosswinds.
Same here, but I pull with a dually also. Been in some awful crosswinds between Amarillo and New Mexico, no problems at all.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

One doesn't need a DRW to feel the difference in a crosswind between a TT and 5er.
I have tow our 32' 12,500# GVW 5er directly exposed to Gale Force winds on Hwy 101 just south of Garibaldi on the Oregon coast 2001 Ram 2500 never even felt the wind!! Actually the TV alone felt less stable without the 5er.
I think even a mildly a 1/2 ton with a 5er would be far more stable than the same 1/2 ton with a similar length TT.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III