Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban oven will not lite

marksar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am new to the RV scene and I bought a used 2014 Forest River Flagstaff. The only issue I am having with it is the oven. When I turn the oven on and push the knob in I am getting absolutely zero gas into the oven itself. I took the thermostat out and lightly tapped on it and then I was able blow through the inlet and hear air coming out of the right side outlet. I reinstalled it and I'm back at square one. No propane ever enters the oven. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do or just shotgun a new thermostat at it and hope it works? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

marksar
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. It was newbie/user error. I did not know that you had to hold the lighter on the thermocouple to get the gas to start flowing. I held the lighter in that one spot for a little bit and what do you know, it works.... ?? Thank you for all of the replies.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Marksar, try lighting the heater and or water heater, it usually speeds up getting gas to the oven.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I think most RVers use the stove for storage!

Not,it's for cookies, cakes, sticky buns, pizza, home made brad & rolls. You get the idea, wife loves cooking & baking.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think most RVers use the stove for storage!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If the knob does NOT push the valve stem in far enough to start the PILOT flow, you remove the plastic knob and insert some wadded up paper or small piece of cardboard in the recess of the knob to prevent the plastic knob from going too far in when installed over the metal shaft. VERY common problem and fix. Now to the OP. You MUST get the PILOT light to light first before the main burner will come on and the PILOT light must stay lit when you release the knob in the pilot position. IF the Pilot lights and after holding the knob for at least 1 minute and the pilot has a good blue flame, and the pilot goes out when you release the knob, then either the Thermocoupler for the pilot is bad or the Gas valve itself is bad. Usually the Gas valve is bad. Doug

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on a suburban stove. After it drove me crazy I figured out that the oven knob was made too deep and was preventing me from pushing it in far enough to get the pilot lit and let the thermocoupler warm up. I was able to light the pilot with the knob off using my thumb (it hurt) and then put the knob back on for normal oven use. Hope this helps. I think that by your post that you can't get the pilot lit? If you are getting the pilot lit and are not getting gas to light the oven burner after that then disregard this post.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
The thermocoupler needs heat to let the gas through. Make sure the coupler is in the pilot light or hold the lighter under it while pressing the knob in, in the light position. Hold for a minute or two to keep it lite.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The thing in the oven has to feel heat from the flame before it will turn on the gas