cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Non SWM DTV dish Obsolete in 2019

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone know what's behind this post on the Solid Signal website?

Solid Signal wrote:

If you have a non-Slimline dish, it's time to upgrade! All other DIRECTV dishes will become obsolete sometime in 2019. If you have one of these dishes, consider upgrading to a Slimline dish before it's too late.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing has changed with the DTV service and nothing is expected to change until Jan. 2020.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

So let me make sure I have this DTV Sat 101 current story straight.
Got to our camp site yesterday and did not bother setting up my little single LNB dish that travels with us along with a H24 receiver so I can watch Fox Sports SW and the TX Rangers. I tried to find out if SD service was still available via Google and all I could find was that DTV SD was no more. If I understand your post correctly DTV SD service is unchanged for this year. I have an extra slimline non SWM dish, more robust tripod and actually got it working one time (HD and local Dallas channels) with my H24 at home but my confidence in that setup is not high since I later discovered I was misreading the skew setting on the dish. So I have the rest of this year to get my slimline dish act together? I am pretty much OK with SD for when we are camping due to the simplicity and compactness of the little tripod and small portable single LNB dish with easy removeable arm that attaches to the back of the dish when we are stowing it for travel.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to give philo a trial for the house. It has WE and other channels I like. You do have to shop around to find what suits you. I will still need DTV on the road. Hard to beat that.

Man, there sure are a lot of these services now!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Time to go streaming and junk the Dish...

https://interestingengineering.com/4-brilliant-ways-you-can-re-purpose-a-satellite-dish

Streaming is simply not a valid option for most folks that spend a good deal of time in an RV. If I was in a house this topic might be valid but it simply is not for most RVers. By the way timmac, this is also not your thread.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
The dish you have (Antenna actually) needs to match the receiver NOT all Direct Receivers work with all Antenna.

NON SWM antennas work with OLDER receivers, that are no longer made or leased out by DTV.

I know that is part of it.. Now if there is something they are doing on the Satellite end (other than shuttind down 101) I don't know.

I just know that 100/month for what I get for 25/year (And that's optional) does not make sense.

DirecTV is NOT shutting down 101. They will continue to broadcast from the satellite for many years and all the broadcasts will come down in HD after the 2020 change-over.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
What they don't make clear is that the old single LNB antennas WILL still work and they will also then be able to pick up DTV HD programming just like the domes will be able to do.
What no one knows is exactly which channels DTV will be broadcasting from the 101 but it surely will not be an entire package and it's very likely that NO Network programming will be available.
Interesting. That scenario would for most folks make the dish obsolete.

Sure a few folks might want to continue receiving 101 only even with no Network programming but I suspect only a few...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dish you have (Antenna actually) needs to match the receiver NOT all Direct Receivers work with all Antenna.

NON SWM antennas work with OLDER receivers, that are no longer made or leased out by DTV.

I know that is part of it.. Now if there is something they are doing on the Satellite end (other than shuttind down 101) I don't know.

I just know that 100/month for what I get for 25/year (And that's optional) does not make sense.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come Jan. 2020 (not 2019) DTV is dropping their SD broadcasts. These all came from 101 which is the only satellite the older single LNB antennas can receive. It's not worded correctly as some of the old HD receivers will work without a SWM dish but I think they are referring to need to update from a single LNB to a triple LNB (SWM makes your options much better).
What they don't make clear is that the old single LNB antennas WILL still work and they will also then be able to pick up DTV HD programming just like the domes will be able to do.
What no one knows is exactly which channels DTV will be broadcasting from the 101 but it surely will not be an entire package and it's very likely that NO Network programming will be available.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why it would be "too late." Are all the dishes going to be gone?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman