cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coffee on the road

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
If any of you roast your own beans, do you roast in camp or put up with preroasted coffee?
35 REPLIES 35

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law is in the coffee business. However, when we can't get his coffee (Kaldi's Coffee), we like Dunkin Donuts.

Here are brewing suggestions:

https://kaldiscoffee.com/pages/home-brewing

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can take long guns to Canada. Taking a hand gun is not easy.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
What you really want and need is one of these:

.52 caliber Sharpe's Carbine with grain and coffee grinder in the butt stock. Not only does it give you fresh-ground beans, it provides a permanent solution to vermin and varmints.

Yeah, but can I take it to Canada?:)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amyone shooting varmints with a Sharps would have to be a fool. I have never heard of a .52 cal but that would be a huge cartridge. The biggest normal buffalo caliber was the Big Fifty. I have a .45-100 that smacks me pretty good in the shoulder.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
What you really want and need is one of these:

.52 caliber Sharpe's Carbine with grain and coffee grinder in the butt stock. Not only does it give you fresh-ground beans, it provides a permanent solution to vermin and varmints.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trekkar wrote:
aysstephanie wrote:
Life is too short for bad coffee! We bring pre-roasted but freshly ground beans in a mason jar and brew them in a stainless steel french press.

X2. Had our stainless french press for 25+ years. Sometimes we grind on the road, but often grind at home and take ground in stainless steel container. Less glass to break.

French press makes a nice cup of coffee. It's pretty close to cowboy coffee. Sometimes when we camp with a pile of people, I'll use one of those real big blue speckled enamel pots, fill it with water, bring it to a boil and put a cup and half of regular Folgers in and turn the heat way down for 6-8 minutes. Then provide a strainer, to assist avoiding grounds. Always good.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
aysstephanie wrote:
Life is too short for bad coffee! We bring pre-roasted but freshly ground beans in a mason jar and brew them in a stainless steel french press.

X2. Had our stainless french press for 25+ years. Sometimes we grind on the road, but often grind at home and take ground in stainless steel container. Less glass to break.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

aysstephanie
Explorer
Explorer

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I remember a story about coffee that puts things in perspective for me. It has a lot to do with context. A few friends were helping to herd cattle in North Dakota during fall round-up. The cow hunt started at 0400. They had instant coffee in styroam cups. Compared to no coffee, it was perfect. One of the hands took at sip and announced "that mister is a good cup of coffee."

At the ranch we always put egg shells in with the grounds to neutralize the acid of non=Arabica beans. I made coffee in a pot on the kitchen stove at home for 25 years the same way.

I think you hit on it when you mentioned perspective. When I "lived" on coffee on the job, I'd get coffee in many stages; from coffee to carbon remover. Now that I drink it at my leisure, I can either make it "my" way, or take it however it's made. It's just coffee.;)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read my description of crushing bean with a rock and putting a handful of beans in any vessel. It is funny because in the outdoors life is simple.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
"Put up with preroasted beans."
For people that spend time in the outdoors that is funny.
"Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

Why do you think it is funny? What do you think the cowboys and early patriots did. They **** sure didn't have a Starbucks down the block.
Nope green beans tossed and roasted in a cast iron pan.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember a story about coffee that puts things in perspective for me. It has a lot to do with context. A few friends were helping to herd cattle in North Dakota during fall round-up. The cow hunt started at 0400. They had instant coffee in styroam cups. Compared to no coffee, it was perfect. One of the hands took at sip and announced "that mister is a good cup of coffee."

At the ranch we always put egg shells in with the grounds to neutralize the acid of non=Arabica beans. I made coffee in a pot on the kitchen stove at home for 25 years the same way.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Been buying Chase & Sanborn at Menards. Good value & were not stuck on any brand.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Put up with preroasted beans."
For people that spend time in the outdoors that is funny.
"Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"