cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use a TPMS for their trailer?

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a TireMinder TPMS (for anyone unfamiliar with what this is, it's a Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and it looks like really good quality. It was easy to install and it has the solar powered display that can also be powered by a micro-USB cable. Displays tire pressures and temps, batteries supposedly last 6 to 8 months and are easy to replace. The sensors screwed right onto the valvestems. I mounted the 'repeater' in the front storage compartment. I installed it at the dealer when I picked up our trailer after being repaired. Seemed to work very well. Anyone else use this? Or a different brand?
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.
28 REPLIES 28

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the TST for 4 years. Only gave me a heads up once for a slow leak from a nail that would have been a flat in the middle of nowhere had I not been monitoring. I made it to a BIG O outfit that fixed it for free! When you see trailers pulled off the side the trouble seems to always be a flat. I don't want to be that example so bought the TPMS.

(Searches have their pluses but so do new conversations.)
Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
RVI temp psi on our Class A and towed.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I used that same brand on our TT. Worked great, but batteries don't last long. Closer to 2-3 months, no matter the brand. They are an odd size (CR1632), and I couldn't find them locally.

I have since purchased them at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2XwNERP Only $5.99 for 10.

I was surprised to see how much extra sensors cost. When we bought the Class A late last year, I had planned on using the same TPMS on the new rig, but needed to buy more sensors. It was almost cheaper to buy an all new system, with 6 sensors. Source: https://amzn.to/2xzwuZj

Consequently, the new system is used on the Class A. The 4 old sensors have been put on the Jeep we tow. It easily monitors all 10 tires at once. The old monitor is kept as a spare, along with the booster. The new system works perfectly with the older sensors.

Really a good brand.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
No search necessary for this one......(unless you really want to)...

There have been several (won't say numerous) threads/posts by folks blissfully cruising down the road, towing a 5th wheel and *NOT* known they have a flat on the trailer - until alerted by a passing motorist.

*ANY* brand of monitor is better than the above..

BTW - my Pressure Pro still works great.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
TST 507 here since 2011. It saved my derriere once when a brake caliper started dragging. It alarmed "high temperature." The wheel was smoking when I pulled over.

It was on a Class C with 6 wheels. When I moved it to my new TT with 4 wheels, I had two extra senders. I figured why not? I put the extra two senders on the tow vehicle spare tire and the TT spare tire. Between it and the tow vehicle's built in TPMS, I can check the pressure in every tire.

Also, the TST folks provide excellent customer service. After about 3 or 4 years, the receiver battery went belly up. It would work while plugged in, but would die as soon as unplugged. Since it was out of warranty, I contacted TST to ask what battery it took so I could buy another battery. TST replaced the receiver for me at no charge. They even apologized that I had to program the replacement.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
TST 507 caught 3 tire leaks 2 on a cargo trailer towed behind a truck camper. Was able to get off the road before they came apart. Other on inside dual not noticed as there was no weight on the truck. Saved me three tires as all were repairable.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherguy wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
You must be new to the Forum. This topic has been discussed frequently. Search for TPMS to read previous posts.

Have you ever used the search function on this forum? It sucks, rather than a link to 1 thread you get links to EVERY POST in any given thread.
Nothing says you need to click on EVERY POST, you can pick and choose the thread you want to peruse. The Search function works fairly well, but it searches for posts, not threads. But it lists the threads that the post appear in.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
You must be new to the Forum. This topic has been discussed frequently. Search for TPMS to read previous posts.

Have you ever used the search function on this forum? It sucks, rather than a link to 1 thread you get links to EVERY POST in any given thread.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
jetjocka7 wrote:
I bought a TPMS from a company who imports and resells these Chinese made electronic units. Had no luck getting reliable info on the receiver on the dash of my truck UNTIL I talked with a tech, who said that because I have a weather station in my trailer (which transmits on the same frequency that the TPMS uses; 433mhz) that I will HAVE to use a REPEATER to get a strong enough signal to the truck dash. The interference from the weather station outside sensor breaks down the link between the tire sensors and the receiver on the dash. If no Frequency interference is present, then the system should work without a repeater BUT even then I have read that with a repeater, you get a more reliable reading in the truck than without SO I recommend getting a repeater anyway.
TPMS systems cost over $150-350 and more, so they are expensive.

Mine came with the repeater and it could not have been easier to install it. It's not just your weather station, but without the repeater, the receiver can be affected by other things such as vehicle blind-spot systems. I paid $152 for mine on Amazon, got it in two days, and TireMinder has great customer service from all I've read, though I haven't had to use them yet. So far the system seems to work perfectly, and the peace of mind is invaluable. And EVERYTHING is made in China.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
jetjocka7 wrote:
I bought a TPMS from a company who imports and resells these Chinese made electronic units. Had no luck getting reliable info on the receiver on the dash of my truck UNTIL I talked with a tech, who said that because I have a weather station in my trailer (which transmits on the same frequency that the TPMS uses; 433mhz) that I will HAVE to use a REPEATER to get a strong enough signal to the truck dash. The interference from the weather station outside sensor breaks down the link between the tire sensors and the receiver on the dash. If no Frequency interference is present, then the system should work without a repeater BUT even then I have read that with a repeater, you get a more reliable reading in the truck than without SO I recommend getting a repeater anyway.
TPMS systems cost over $150-350 and more, so they are expensive.

Mine came with the repeater and it could not have been easier to install it. It's not just your weather station, but without the repeater, the receiver can be affected by other things such as vehicle blind-spot systems. I paid $152 for mine on Amazon, got it in two days, and TireMinder has great customer service from all I've read, though I haven't had to use them yet. So far the system seems to work perfectly, and the peace of mind is invaluable. And EVERYTHING is made in China.

jetjocka7
Explorer
Explorer
TPMS systems cost over $150-350 and more, so they are expensive. Another options I found is a $29 TPMS from China? I found one that reads UP TO 89 psi.(which is high enough for my trailer tires) Haven't tried with my repeater yet to see if there is any difference in the reliability but plan to try it out โ€ฆ even if you have to take the batteries out of the weather sensor to make it work without a repeater, the $$$ difference substantiates that option. Will post later the results of my test comparisons of the 2 systems. I congratulate the men who import the Chinese made TPMS systems for resale as I appreciate the hassle that dealing with the public with electronics items brings with it. (not something I would want to do in my senior years). But for $29 the direct from china option is worth experimenting with on short hauls just to see if the are reliable? By using only the Chinese companies that accept Paypal I have been able to avoid getting burned by dishonest ones. Note: Most are drop shippers anyway and know little to nothing about the products they sell. For most people this makes this option a problem since there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking on getting the TST 507 soon, do anyone have pics?
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Well, no one is OBLIGATED to respond, and sometimes it is useful to drag old topics from the dustbin and find out if there is anything new. Just my two farthings.

We use the TST system and have found it to be good. Their tech support is great. But one problem has surfaced after years of running them. One of my sensors creates a slow leak. It is not easy to know how hard to tighten them, and the o-ring deals come loose.
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMMY034 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

You also must be new, otherwise you would have noticed how many posts I've made since joining in 2001, though I did bother to look and see that you're not new either.

Did I break a rule or something? Am I not allowed to post something without wasting time looking for similar posts? Also I added my info on the system that I bought and provided info on how it works so not only would I get feedback from others who have this or similar, I might also help someone else (maybe someone truly new to the forum) who may not have even realized this is available for trailers. Thanks for your valuable contribution to my post.
OTOH you could have titled your initial post differently, perhaps something like "TireMinder TPMS review". If you're belonged to the forum for 17 years and ask a question that you know has been answered dozens of times, then you should expect a bit of static from people who have answered the same dozen questions over and over again.

Yep they do get a bit testy sometimes. My initial reaction was to ignore the post since I figured the OP couldn't be bothered to do a simple Search, which takes all of about 30 seconds.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"