cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minnie Winnie 22R vs Jayco Redhawk 22J

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at these two brands and like some features of each. I do like the fiberglass roof on the Winnie vs rubber roof of the Jayco. Anyone have thoughts on the "JRide" which they heavily tout for it's balanced driveshaft, rubber body mounts, Bilstein shocks? Jayco comes with slideout (bed), but we are both leery of slideouts due to reading some who have had problems. I read more complaints on the Jayco build quality vs Winnie. We like the 22-23' length as out current 1999 Class C 22' gets us into places larger C's or trailers cannot get to. We are in N. California and dealing with LaMesa RV and finding them to be liars. The Jayco dealers were pretty straight up, but the Winnie's apparent reputation is attractive. Buying our house was easier than this!
Thoughts/experiences on these Class C coaches are most welcome.
5 REPLIES 5

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Both have a reputation of quality but I will probably stick with Winnebago. We've toured the factory and have a 2003 Class C Itasca. It's long history and fact(I think) that you can get any part for any year is attractive.

Thanks. Get a kick out of your name here. Ha.

I appreciate everyone's input here. Our search continues (and not with the dealer mentioned).

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Both have a reputation of quality but I will probably stick with Winnebago. We've toured the factory and have a 2003 Class C Itasca. It's long history and fact(I think) that you can get any part for any year is attractive.
Jayco-noslide

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We owned a Minie Winnie 22R for two years and had zero problems with it. If you don't like La Mesa, find another Winnebago dealer. There are plenty of them.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jride, from what I read while researching all this last year is more hype than anything else. I was under the impression that all driveshafts were balanced. Many owners of Jride have to install aftermarket items just like any other brand.

Regarding your floorplan slide choice, I do not like a bedroom slide that extends out the side because we sleep in a lot of rest areas with limited space. In order to use the bed, you need to deploy the driver side slide into a possible lane of traffic. That's where most of us rest our heads and that worries me in a rest area with vehicles whizzing past me with distracted drivers.

None are built like tanks, all brands have issues . I really do not think there is enough differences between them to make a difference, good or bad. I would not spend thousands on something because it appeared nice or looked more polished . I would buy the floorplan I wanted from a good dealer that remembered my name at least.

I also went with a 24ft unit for the same reasons as you. My choice was the non-slide 2018, 2350LE Sunseeker on a E450 . If that interests you , I will be glad to offer you more detailed info why I passed up the J and W's.
It extended my season . Its the best heated rv I have ever owned because all the tanks, water lines, pump and valves are in heated areas like cabinets and sub floor with 2" of solid foam. Non of the water lines are run in outside walls and it had a full size pillowtop queen 60x80 not a 54x whatever .

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to several large RV "shows" and compared units side by side. Without question (IMO) the Winnebago units appear to be built better....or at least use slightly better materials. Even my wife noticed what she called "looks sturdier" while in the Winnebago units. This was before we bought one, and of course we got a Winnie. To be fair I have never owned a Jayco and of course there any many different opinions out there. But, we are happy with ours, now 13 years old and haven't had an issue or leak. I do maintain caulk etc regularly. Good Luck !