cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home monitoring system?

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaving North Dakota for warmer parts this coming winter.

I'm considering a remote monitoring system to keep an eye on heat, power and snow level at my house.

I see any number of these on Amazon.

Any recommendations or advice?
Do these gadgets truly work?
23 REPLIES 23

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
lryrob9301 wrote:
Why bother with all this monitoring.
I like to also know what is going on in an around the house. If there is an intruder I'll have my son, 4 doors down, board up the windows or door when the perps leave. Don't want him going in when they are there. The rest is insured. Alexa will even notify me if there is a loud noise and I can then see what is happening.

Two Echo units still running covers the house. Cameras cover the doors and windows. Doorbell camera gives what is outside and if they shoveled the snow. I can also see if we want to come home yet.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Per my experience, having water heater under the pressure is the highest risk for potential problems. Than having live flame is another.
That is why my house has water shut off and only garden piping supply water to evaporative coolers.
Neighbors are the best, but I put mine on chlorinating the swimming pool and occasional water for the cactus.
Obviously in Las Vegas no need for heating.
My android is on $10/month family plan and having bunch of $5 WI-FI switches, I can control the lights. Have roof lights that I plan to turn on for 4th of July, so my house will not look darker than neighborhood.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a smart phone, saves a lot of money but means most of those discussed things do me no good. But I do have a great neighbor who gets my daily mail & waters the plants. I leave the temp at 52 and the water heater on pilot.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
It's nice to (maybe, if everything works correctly) be able to see a problem while snowbirding, but then what? You're 1000 miles away. You still need someone there with access to fix the problem. Nothing beats a neighbor or friend regularly checking on the place, even if you have to pay them.

You are correct of course, we always leave a set of keys with a trusted neighbor or friend. Monitoring and an occasional visit work best.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I use an assortment of devices accumulated over years. First line of defense is a good alarm system. I have a DSC system installed and maintained by a commercial vendor. It's cellular linked with it's own modem so no wire cutting or phone outage affects it. Having it professionally maintained means if it needs something while we're away, my home watcher can just call them out to fix it.

I have webcams that relay video to a server hidden in the house. And they send me periodic snapshots via email, which confirms they're OK and the home internet is online. I like the ones with PTZ, so I can move the camera to check on specific areas that I'm interested in.

Speaking of internet, I've found it's a good practice to use a simple timer to kill power and reset the modem / router daily.

And I've added a Lorex 4k recording camera system most recently. High resolution wide field of view cameras on all sides of the exterior.

My goals are to prevent crime, by being a hard target, and avoid surprises.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Why bother with all this monitoring. When we leave everything is turned off, disconnected, and shut down. The water is turned off and pipes drained, the heat is set to 45 degrees, the water heater set to pilot, and a few lights on timers are left connected, everything else is disconnected. I have a trusted guy cut the grass, trim the bushes, rake the leaves, and snow blow as needed during the winter. If a tree falls on the house my neighbor or the trusted guy will contact me.

I did it couple years ago when we left mid-summer for 9 weeks.
My Las Vegas house has desert landscaping, so even couple of cactus die, that's not a problem.
But house left alone was reaching 120F inside, what made some furniture cracks. Now I left the house with evaporative cooler set to 80F, what also keeps humidity at higher level.
All those WI-FI weather stations, WI-FI cameras and thermostats do help. I also have several WI-FI switches that operate outside lights, so I can change the schedules. One of those WI-FI switches can turn evaporative coolers off/on as those coolers don't come with WI-FI thermostats.
Thanks to Kuna gate camera I am getting signal when somebody is at my gate, so with some patience, I can see postwomen and talk to her via the camera.
Lot of gadgets and only security companies don't update their systems.
I had alarm a day after I left. My guess is the cooler fan blow something in my living room, what trigger the alarm.
At the time, on NV desert my phone had no signal and they don't text.
My home phone has call screening, what require punching additional number. They could not figure it out. Would I not have gate camera recording, I would never know Security was at my home becouse of the alarm.
So for me the $35/month for security monitoring seem to be biggest waste of money. I can do better with my android 1000 miles away.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Why Monitor?Why Not would be my question.
My guess would be.. ta da.. money.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Why Monitor?

Why Not would be my question? You have Internet and the Wyze Camera(I use them outside) can be had for 19 bucks, 29.00 if you want the Pan/scan one! I've never had an issue with checking on things with these inexpensive little camera's.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Anyone using the Marcell monitoring system?

I use it in the motorhome for temp/power monitoring. I like it as well as my previous system if not better. The previous system was one that involved several different parts, Marcell on the other hand, is simple!

One note, when I purchased the Marcell, price at the manufacturer was about 30 bucks less than Amazon.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Why bother with all this monitoring..
Nobody's forcing you to. I'd like to know if someone's on the property, or breaking in. I can afford it.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Why bother with all this monitoring. When we leave everything is turned off, disconnected, and shut down. The water is turned off and pipes drained, the heat is set to 45 degrees, the water heater set to pilot, and a few lights on timers are left connected, everything else is disconnected. I have a trusted guy cut the grass, trim the bushes, rake the leaves, and snow blow as needed during the winter. If a tree falls on the house my neighbor or the trusted guy will contact me.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
You still need someone there with access to fix the problem. Nothing beats a neighbor or friend regularly checking on the place, even if you have to pay them.
Yes, you need a helpful neighbor just in case. But there's nothing quite like the 24/7 of a few cameras.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using the Marcell monitoring system?

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice to (maybe, if everything works correctly) be able to see a problem while snowbirding, but then what? You're 1000 miles away. You still need someone there with access to fix the problem. Nothing beats a neighbor or friend regularly checking on the place, even if you have to pay them.