cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Puzzling problem with Dish

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a Dish Wally receiver and Playmaker antenna for our RV. Last week was our first chance to use it. Since we previously had Direct TV in the RV, we knew our connections worked.
We set up the Wally and attempted to activate it, acquire a signal, etc. No bueno. After several lengthy calls with Dish, we determined that we need a software upgrade. However we couldn't get the receiver to download the upgrade.
Finally our neighbor hooked up his older model Playmaker to our Wally and we were able to download the update and watch TV. Our new Playmaker worked with his 211Z receiver although it cut out a couple of times. In both cases the Playmakers were attached through the satellite port on the RV. We switched back to our Playmaker. The only way we could get TV was to hook directly from the Playmaker to the Wally receiver.
Since our Direct TV was SD and the Wally is HD, I am wondering if different connections are required. But why would we be able to get TV with our friend's older Playmaker and not our new one? Any ideas on how to track this down?
18 REPLIES 18

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We also had problems with a new tailgater and a walley receiver. Headed for Az from WA st and it was working great. Later i Casa Grande it needed to be programed and check switch every day. That sucked all winter so after calling dish and a dish outdoor tech the answer was I was on the wrong side of the road. Cable and postion on the rv were correct for their instuctions. I asked both dish ladies do you know what an rv is. The tailgater is sitting in my garage. Dish downloaded the software fix to late for me. chevman PS $2200.00 fix the problem
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871- I had ALL of your problems and more. Did everything the techs at DISH and Winegard told me. No help. They gave up and wouldn't take my calls anymore. DISH blamed Wingard and vice versa. Sooooooo- a buddy of mine found this cable for me, and it works everywhere I go. And it's 100' long with no line loss. I measured the voltage. I'm pretty sure this will fix your issues. It worked wonderfully for us! It's at Ebay.com

TRI-SHIELD RG11 DIRECT BURIAL UNDERGROUND COAXIAL CABLE PPC BELDEN WEATHER BOOT"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
My Dish & Wally specifically says RG8 cable. I have found lots of RG6 but still looking for RG8 as I have the same issue. Works fine direct and maybe going trough the factory wiring. I use on of these to bring it trough a window. https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises%C2%AE-Cable-Doors-Windows/dp/B001WAPIRW
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except when he states that it worked previously. This is very helpful information.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

I also believe the poster mentioned the setup had worked previously and is using a "Satellite In" connection designed for the use of satellite TV and not a "Cable" connection that would run through a splitter or power supply.

Just because these RV manufacturers claim satellite ready and provide connections marked satellite does not mean a hell of a lot in a lot of cases. They usually can not get speaker wiring correct either. I have had to rewire rigs we have owned, and have done quite a few for others , where the so called factory wiring marked satellite was just simply wrong for one reason or another. I've seen them put splitters on satellite connections which would of been fine, if they would have used a power pass splitter instead of the generic junk they found for 10 cents.

Even if they get it right chances are the F connectors are boogered up and/or are the cheapest junk they could obtain.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
The cable in the rv is the wrong cable for HD is the problem

I do not usually disagree with Bill and in many cases this is not important (in short he is effectively right) but. You can skip to part 2 of this reply if you like.

This answer is wrong. ALL coax will handle HD.

True and not so true.. There are many different cables. There are several differences betewen cables but I use RG-8/58/8X a lot this is a 50-52 ohm cable used for TRANSMITTERS.. And I also use RG 6 a lot (72ohm TV/Sat cable) and some RG-59 (Also 72ohm but higher loss)

The three main differences are
Size (Diamater)
Loss at frequency
and Impedance (50/52 70/72(

RG 59 can be very lossy at Sat frequencies 50 feet of RG-59 can easily have as much loss as 200 Feet of RG 6 or more and 300 feet of RG-11

So not all coax is the same. Oh 3 feet of it won't matter much but when we run from the front down the pillar and all the way to the rear we may well have 50 or more feet of cable.

That said Part 2:

The Park cable in the RV runs to a box of electronics (The wall plate that selects ant or cable) there it ends a 2nd cable runs from there to the TV and to the roof and a 3rd to the roof top antenna BUT to use the already in place cable for sat tv you got to DISCONNECT it from that switch plate and extend it to the sat box.

The box prevents power from getting to the sat antenna. it's a powered antenna. The antenna is also a "Smart" antenna (2 or more antennas in one) and the box prevents the signals that tell it what antenna is desired. So it's the switch box that can be the problem.

I never said all coax were the same. The post I quoted said the coax in the RV was SD and would not get HD. That is wrong.
I also believe the poster mentioned the setup had worked previously and is using a "Satellite In" connection designed for the use of satellite TV and not a "Cable" connection that would run through a splitter or power supply.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:

I do not usually disagree with Bill and in many cases this is not important (in short he is effectively right) but. You can skip to part 2 of this reply if you like.

True and not so true.. There are many different cables. There are several differences betewen cables but I use RG-8/58/8X a lot this is a 50-52 ohm cable used for TRANSMITTERS.. And I also use RG 6 a lot (72ohm TV/Sat cable) and some RG-59 (Also 72ohm but higher loss)

Size (Diamater)
Loss at frequency

RG 59 can be very lossy at Sat frequencies 50 feet of RG-59 can easily have as much loss as 200 Feet of RG 6 or more and 300 feet of RG-11

So not all coax is the same. Oh 3 feet of it won't matter much but when we run from the front down the pillar and all the way to the rear we may well have 50 or more feet of cable.

That said Part 2:

The Park cable in the RV runs to a box of electronics (The wall plate that selects ant or cable) there it ends a 2nd cable runs from there to the TV and to the roof and a 3rd to the roof top antenna BUT to use the already in place cable for sat tv you got to DISCONNECT it from that switch plate and extend it to the sat box.

The box prevents power from getting to the sat antenna. it's a powered antenna. The antenna is also a "Smart" antenna (2 or more antennas in one) and the box prevents the signals that tell it what antenna is desired. So it's the switch box that can be the problem.

I never said all coax were the same. I said all coax would do HD. If the signal will pass you would get SD or HD.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Since we can get signal when we run direct to the receiver, I am inclined to believe that there is a splitter in the RV that is the culprit. That was my initial thought and most of the comments have affirmed that. So I will put the tester on the internal coax and connectors and see what I can find out.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:
One way to test this is to use the OP RG6 direct to Wally. Bypass the RV coax.

X2. The RV coax cabling may have a splitter that doesn't pass the voltage to the dish. BTW, I have successfully used 100' coax attached to my RV coax with my Wally and watched movies in HD.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
One way to test this is to use the OP RG6 direct to Wally. Bypass the RV coax.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:

Size (Diamater)
Loss at frequency

That said Part 2:

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:

Bill,

Could the issue be that the COAX size in the rig is not capable of passing enough power to the Playmaker?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 100โ€™ routinely with my Pathway. And thatโ€™s not including another 25โ€™ of RV wiring.

But I use 211Z not a Wally.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We did get the 802 software downloaded so that shouldn't be the problem. Both domes were Winegard Playmakers; the only difference was about three years in age. In order to get to a clearing, we had to use the 50 foot cable. Maybe that is why we could get it to work wired direct. We were using standard RG 6U 75 ohm coax. Would different coax work better? Or maybe we need to get a 40 foot coax to get around the 50 foot overall length problem.