cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be quite a push lately for zero emission vehicles and electric only vehicles.

How on Earth would these ever work for us? You can't go cross country in an electric vehicle in a practical way. You don't get great range when towing or hauling a TC.

What are we going to do when these become mandatory??

I'm also not sold on them in general as I think it's less carbon not to manufacture a new car (with lithium batteries) in the first place and continue running your old car. Especially given people forget it still takes the same energy to move a car from the bottom of the hill to the top. Sane energy has to come from somewhere. It's just being made remotely and pollution somewhere else.

What are we going to do when it's all electric and zero emissions becomes mandatory?

I'm a very off grid person and I'm disgusted by the on grid nature of this trend as well as the requirements in a few places that all vehicles must be electric now.
211 REPLIES 211

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
After 22 pages of rants and raves the bottom line is you'll likely not see a whole lotta towing for several years.

I do occasionally forget that these pages are a real cross section of folks for the guy with a 20+ year old TC to the one with the 650,000 motor home towing 2 cars in a closed trailer in back. It is quite comical as to each of those priorities and comments.
I've always found that if a "whatever" was important to me I would eventually get it and that goes for RVing. Love to go cross country and see what the other half is doing from the really nice CGs to those I pass and say "hell no".
We live for the fun of it and being retired allow several of us a great life and experience no matter what we drive. I do love my GMC2500 dmax and my 40'TT it doesn't get better than that to us. Love electric cars though.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"And of the cars that go cross country, what percentage of the time is it going cross country?"

But even if you only do it a couple times, is the hassle worth it? So you buy a EV, and then buy an ICEV because the EV just doesn't cut it all the time? Sounds like a large waste of money to me.

I get that. But for those who only travel 500 or 600 km a day there is no difference in travel time between an ICE V or EV. Most people stop 2 or 3 times a day for breaks and or lunch. We just combine our lunch break etc with charge stops.

Well I will throw another out there that most can't get between their ears; What percentage of people that travel cross country in their cars only own one car?
Most of the people I know that don't have RVs, when they travel only drive to airport. And several of the wrinklies of my age keep older cars with less FREDs to cause problems. And if going "cross country" rent the best tool for the job...

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
"And of the cars that go cross country, what percentage of the time is it going cross country?"

But even if you only do it a couple times, is the hassle worth it? So you buy a EV, and then buy an ICEV because the EV just doesn't cut it all the time? Sounds like a large waste of money to me.

I get that. But for those who only travel 500 or 600 km a day there is no difference in travel time between an ICE V or EV. Most people stop 2 or 3 times a day for breaks and or lunch. We just combine our lunch break etc with charge stops.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
irishtom29 wrote:
Some people stroke their ego by declaring they have no need to stroke their ego.
No, I don't think so. Some people just have no need to declare their status...and some do, and can't imagine that some don't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Some people stroke their ego by declaring they have no need to stroke their ego.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Reisender wrote:
am1958 wrote:
That's what Tesla is good at, talking... They are absolutely brilliant at leaving out key details too, like payload and range at maximum payload... and can you imagine the cost of this?

Maybe so. But going by the cars they build it will probably be a pretty high performance vehicle.
So are Ferrari's, but most people can't afford to buy one. Cut the performance and lower the price. What good is a $49,000, 500 HP truck that can haul only groceries from the store? Except for stroking one's ego.

It could be said ego is the reason for most pickups on the road.
And going back to the '50s, without "ego" could not all Lincolns and Cadillacs be replaced by Fords and Chevys?
Absolutely agree. I never did see the sense of Lincolns and Cadillacs when all they did was cost more money. I always had better uses for my money than showing off for the neighbors.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Cross Country in a Tesla

And you all thought finding a campground was tough.

Ok. But what percentage of cars go "cross country"? And of the cars that go cross country, what percentage of the time is it going cross country?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Cross Country in a Tesla

And you all thought finding a campground was tough.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Reisender wrote:
am1958 wrote:
That's what Tesla is good at, talking... They are absolutely brilliant at leaving out key details too, like payload and range at maximum payload... and can you imagine the cost of this?

Maybe so. But going by the cars they build it will probably be a pretty high performance vehicle.
So are Ferrari's, but most people can't afford to buy one. Cut the performance and lower the price. What good is a $49,000, 500 HP truck that can haul only groceries from the store? Except for stroking one's ego.

It could be said ego is the reason for most pickups on the road.
And going back to the '50s, without "ego" could not all Lincolns and Cadillacs be replaced by Fords and Chevys?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
am1958 wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
am1958 wrote:

am1958
Explorer
Explorer

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how long it takes to charge, where chargers are available and what the payload capacity is, I'd get one of these to comply with environmental regulations m.

500 mile range, crazy towing capacity

https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/tesla-pickup-truck-overtakes-ford-f150-talked-about/amp/