Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBQ Baby Back Ribs using an Instant Pot questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Has anyone made BBQ ribs in an Instant Pot? We are heading out with a small group over the 4th and a request for ribs has been made.

I just have a Weber Baby Q grill but we also have an Instant Pot. I made pulled pork in the Instant Pot and it took less than an hour and was delicious. I know that the Instant pot will cook them but should I brown them first on the grill or after cooking in Instant Pot?

Thanks!
Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
blownstang01 wrote:
I do it all the time and they come out awesome. Instant pot with water and apple cider vinegar plus any seasonings you like, cook high pressure for 25 minutes. Tender but still on the bone, finish on grill with your favorite sauce.
Also, cook them on Trivet so they don't sit in the liquid.

Exactly.....as said above cook for 25 min in the IP. Here's a recipe if you'd like:

https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-ribs/
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I do it all the time and they come out awesome. Instant pot with water and apple cider vinegar plus any seasonings you like, cook high pressure for 25 minutes. Tender but still on the bone, finish on grill with your favorite sauce.
Also, cook them on Trivet so they don't sit in the liquid.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Can the instapot be used as a keep-warm and serve device? At my local grocer they sell pre-cooked ribs for the same cost as raw. Buy a few racks and toss em in your pressure cooker to reheat for a few minutes and serve?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I predict a pile of bare bones and a pile of pulled pork looking rib meat.

After some experimentation you MIGHT learn to cook adequate ribs in a pc but I doubt it.

If you want something foolproof and want to use a pc do a chicken or country ribs or a boneless butt.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Precook in the insta pot then finish on the grill with sauce. Just be sure not to pre cook to the point that they fall apart before grilling or it will be difficult.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Skip the pressure cooker and use the Weber. Try the hot and fast method, works good for baby backs.

Build a hot pile of coal on one side of the grill.

Peel off the silver skin, rub down with oil, salt, pepper, no sugar or sugary rubs yet!

Clean and oil the grill top, slap the rack of ribs down, cover, come back 20 minutes later, flip, cover again for 20 minutes.

In the mean time, prepare a piece of HD al-foil large enough to wrap the rack with

Make a boat with the foil, put the ribs in, add a bit of beer, cider, apple juice, whatever, and close up the boat

Move boat to cooler side of grill, cover and let cook for at least an hour. Turn the boat 180 deg maybe 30 minutes later so the other side faces the coals.

When you can't take it any more, open up the boat. Two choices, make your own sauce from the contents of the boat, or use a canned sauce.

Enjoy!

My Weber Baby Q is a propane grill not a charcoal. I'm also due to scheduling conflicts looking to shorten the cook time. Max cook time in an Instant Pot is 25 minutes.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the pressure cooker and use the Weber. Try the hot and fast method, works good for baby backs.

Build a hot pile of coal on one side of the grill.

Peel off the silver skin, rub down with oil, salt, pepper, no sugar or sugary rubs yet!

Clean and oil the grill top, slap the rack of ribs down, cover, come back 20 minutes later, flip, cover again for 20 minutes.

In the mean time, prepare a piece of HD al-foil large enough to wrap the rack with

Make a boat with the foil, put the ribs in, add a bit of beer, cider, apple juice, whatever, and close up the boat

Move boat to cooler side of grill, cover and let cook for at least an hour. Turn the boat 180 deg maybe 30 minutes later so the other side faces the coals.

When you can't take it any more, open up the boat. Two choices, make your own sauce from the contents of the boat, or use a canned sauce.

Enjoy!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you get extremely lucky, the chances of them staying together after the insta pot is pretty slim. If you were by chance lucky, a thin brush of sauce and finish on the grill would be nice. I don't see any advantage in browning them first.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Any vacant dinner seats for a witty, handsome guy? Stories told, songs sung, poems recited.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad