Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with 2017 Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve

kprutzman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone!

We have a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s camper and are looking into purchasing a new truck. I have my eye on a 2017 Nissan Titan Platinum Reserve and was wondering if anyone else has a similar camper being towed by this Nissan Titan or similar Titan model. If so, have you encountered any issues towing with this truck or likes and dislikes about the truck and or towing a camper.

Thank you!
Kevin
15 REPLIES 15

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the abysmal starting payload Iโ€™d be very careful. Check the yellow sticker on the door jamb for the vehicle specific payload. Subtract about 740# for the tongue weight, a little under 100# for the WDH and see if you have enough payload left for you, your family, and anything you want to put in the truck.

RG53Hornet
Explorer
Explorer
If you move up to the Titan XD you will be fine. My 2018 XD SV 4x4 is 6800 with me, wife, 2 small dogs and a full tank of gas. Gross vehicle weight is 8800. Vehicle weight with all of the above and travel trailer hooked up is 8140 so close to max but certainly not over. Also, at 9200 lbs and 36 foot my trailer is a lot heaver/longer than the one you asked about. The Truck handles it fine. It will drink up the fuel though. Worst has been in the 7's and best in the 10's.
Do some research on the Titans first as it seems you can either get a good one or a bad one. When its a bad one its a nightmare of issues. I had a '16 that Nissan bought back but my '18 has been very good so far. The '17s have an issue with some of the engines developing a knock in #7 cylinder that requires an engine replacement.
Hope this helps!
Keystone Cougar 33MLS
2018 Nissan Titan XD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy more truck. You will never be sorry.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Any half ton would tow that trailer. If the Titan toots your horn, go for it.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

kprutzman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the specs for our Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite camper.

Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S Specs
DRY WEIGHT 4171 lbs
GVWR 5692 lbs
HITCH WEIGHT 412 lbs
LENGTH 22' 4"
HEIGHT 10' 3"
FRESH 58 gal
GRAY 30 gal
BLACK 30 gal
SLIDES 1

I currently have a Ford F-150. That the engine light came on and the code says itโ€™s the torque converter is stuck off. We tried getting it fixed with Ford, and at a Ford dealer, on our first day arriving at destination, while still under warranty and neither were able to fix it. All they did was ruin our vacation with me having to be on the phone day and night with Ford and the dealership. I have had two previous Ford vehicles and had the same problem...fine until it reaches the 3rd year of ownership and around 50,000 miles and then nothing but trouble. So, I know some of you will swear by Ford being the best, but I am DONE with Ford vehicles.

We had a 2007 Nissan Titan (before having a camper to tow) and it lasted 9 years and 165,000 miles. So, that is why I am looking at the Titan again.

I see the same thing at campgrounds, a lot more Ford and Dodges. Which was why I thought Ford improved since my last Ford 23 years ago. But apparently not. At least not in the ones I buy from them.

So, I want to look at the Nissanโ€™s where I had a good experience for the past 23 years.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Titans have the worst gas mileage of any of the 1/2 tons.
that said, unless your extra bling on the truck, subtracts a lot of payload, you shouldn't have any problems towing that MiniLite.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of all the state parks I go to, I can't even recall seeing a Titan in a camp site that has a trailer in it... I see more Tundra's than Titan's and they are far and few in between..

It's pretty much all of the big 3 trucks in the parks that are towing trailers that I see for the most part.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 6,000# trailer with a 2008 Titan, so the numbers are pretty close. It had the 5.6 but only 318HP and 380 ft-lb. Plenty of motor for my trailer even going over mountain passes. Average mpg was 9 towing, not so good. I upgraded/downgraded to a 2004 diesel. Although the Titan towed fine and the truck was comfortable, I felt like the duty wasn't there and the brakes weren't up to the job. I'm sure with upgrades some of those issues have been addressed. I used a Reese SC WD hitch, never any sway.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
At a max payload (before options) of just over 1300#, youโ€™ll probably run out of payload.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer specs???
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
What are you towing with now? Is it comparable to the Nissan? Any issue with your current vehicle?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What are the payload and max towing ranges? Think payload first. What will you carry in the Nissan?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kprutzman
Explorer
Explorer
Gas model.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel or gas model? Big difference.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley