cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Golf Cart on Utility Trailer

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for any advice of lessons learned. I will be picking up a golf cart and 5' x 10' utility trailer. I have a Fleetwood Bounder 34B class A. I bought a 8" drop down hitch to help level the trailer and ratchet tie downs for the four corners of the cart. Any thing else I should be considering for the 900 mile ride from Massachusetts to Myrtle Beach.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b
7 REPLIES 7

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick note to add that I do put a strap on the seat to hold it down. Mine doesn't have a latch, and could easily come off while being towed. The golf cart spare tire, and utility trailer spare tire, both have a ratchet strap run through them before towing also. Nothing is left loose in the trailer!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford an enclosed trailer, I recommend that. Better security, protection from travel and weather abuse, and storage for anything else you may want. Make sure to measure height of door opening if considering enclosed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5'x8' utility trailer. My golf cart barely fits lengthwise. I had to remove the aftermarket rear seat, which I'm not using anyway.

There's NO PROBLEM towing a utility trailer at highway speeds! The size of the wheels, and wheel bearings, aren't much different than some of the smaller automobiles. The wheel hubs never get more than warm to the touch (normal).

The furthest single trip I towed a loaded trailer was 7500 miles. I repacked the wheel bearings myself (old school method), and kept the tires properly inflated. I do bring a spare, but have never needed one in the 30+ years of hauling utility trailers. Different story with my travel trailer though.

Off-loading at Disney's Fort Wilderness:

I did put a hitch on the back of the golf cart, allowing me to move the trailer at the campground if necessary.

Check the torque on the golf cart roof, and any accessories. I'd probably remove the windshield if I still had one. Mine was only held in place with rubber blocks.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Golf carts are not built to withstand traveling long distances at 70 mph on an open trailer. Roofs, windshields, acessories and the like can come loose or otherwise be damaged. You should consider a good cover.

I have seen suggested that I leave the windshield down to allow the wind to blow through. I have a Class A so the higher roof line should help block the wind more than say pulling with a truck/car.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest backing the cart onto the trailer so that you maximize your tongue weight with the engine ahead of the axle as golf carts don't weigh very much.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Golf carts are not built to withstand traveling long distances at 70 mph on an open trailer. Roofs, windshields, acessories and the like can come loose or otherwise be damaged. You should consider a good cover.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Chain and lock IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad