cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar

Ocrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Looking to buy a 4x4 manual mini truck to flat tow behind my rig. Was hoping someone that does it could chime in on how to do it properly. Specifically, what make, model, year mini truck is best suited for flat tow, how to install tow bar base plates, and procedures to prep the mini truck prior to towing.

Cheers !
17 REPLIES 17

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Most Jeeps: Transfer case in Neutral, transmission if gear (I use 6th gear) or Park if automatic. Jeeps that do not have a transfer case Neutral position usually can not be towed four down. Jeeps with certain transfer cases can not be towed four down without modification to stir up the lube. I do not remember which ones, but I bet it can be found in Google. Some Jeep four wheel drive systems can not be towed four down, period! Read and follow the instructions in the Owners Manual.
A manual transmission does not mean it can be towed four down. Some transmissions will self-lubricate, but many will not. If not lubricated, severe bearing damage may occur in time. This can be alleviated by stopping every 200 miles or so and running the vehicle in Neutral (clutch engaged) for a few minutes to redistribute the lubricant. (I did that many years ago towing a 1963 Corvair Spyder from Northwestern Montana to Seattle.)
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Generally those have transfer cases with a real neutral position. However still advisable to make sure it wonโ€™t starve a bearing or something in the t case.
Pretty sure they are all body on frame construction, so fabbing a pull point for a simple tow bar should be doable.

The biggest issue Iโ€™d envision is highway speed capability of them. Not only how well they handle but how long theyโ€™ll last at whatever speed youโ€™ll tow. If youโ€™re a right lane 55ver, shouldnโ€™t be any issue. But yanking one of those at 75 mph X country could be problematic.
Itโ€™s the main reason I donโ€™t tow my CJ 5. 55-60 mph itโ€™s stable, but The jeep itself only goes about 65 full throttle with a tailwind, and Iโ€™m not comfortable trying to roll at the speed I prefer to drive with something not designed to go that fast on a hook.

They are cool little trucks though and a good unique toad option maybe!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Davedut
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that the real question here is what are the general principles required to flat-tow a vehicle behind an RV.

Surely, if a vehicle had locking/unlocking hubs, and didn't spin the drive shaft(s) it would be flat towable without damaging the drivetrain. But vehicles are flat-towed that don't have unlocking hubs, so there must be a less-strict requirement than that. Jeeps are flat-towed by putting them in RWD and the transfer case in neutral?

Are there other requirements? A steering wheel that can be unlocked for the vehicle to turn and follow the tow vehicle?

A supplemental braking system that activates on the towed vehicle when the towing vehicle brakes? (Although the JDM mini-trucks are around 1500 lbs, so braking may not be required.)

Davedut
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing this "skinny" on legality is only relevant for newer mini-trucks. Those older than 25 years old can generally be imported and registered in any state (except California) as a classic car and then driven on the roads of any state (including California). Of course, if there's a minimum speed on a road and the mini-truck can't meet it, that's a different thing. But minimum speeds below 60mph are pretty rare, and most of these trucks can do at least 60mph.

Ocrv
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Ocrv wrote:
This is the kind of JDM Mini Truck Iโ€™m after: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1992-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van/

Federal DOT 25 year old and EPA 21 year old exemptions can apply for importing these. But I just found this link and for the most part these arenโ€™t legal on most state highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/amp/

My intention is to dinghy tow and use on dirt roads, local roads, but it appears to tow it to my destinations itโ€™ll have to be 4 tires off the ground on a flat bed utility trailer.

My dad had one of these in Montana for a while. He was able to license it for the street, and I've seen a couple even here in Washington state. He ended up getting rid of it because stock it had terrible ground clearance and just didn't suit his needs. He ended up with a Kubota RTV and is much happier with that. (it's licensed for road use in MT as well)

If you plan on using it on local roads you may need it licensed as well. I drove his into town once, and it's downright frightening above about 35 mph.

Atv/utv/rtv no bueno for Cali roads. Micro van/trucks can be.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ocrv wrote:

My intention is to dinghy tow and use on dirt roads, local roads, but it appears to tow it to my destinations itโ€™ll have to be 4 tires off the ground on a flat bed utility trailer.

In most states, a flat-towed vehicle must be registered or have a trip-permit issued, so trailering is probably the way to go for this reason alone.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Ocrv wrote:
This is the kind of JDM Mini Truck Iโ€™m after: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1992-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van/

Federal DOT 25 year old and EPA 21 year old exemptions can apply for importing these. But I just found this link and for the most part these arenโ€™t legal on most state highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/amp/

My dad had one of these in Montana for a while. He was able to license it for the street, and I've seen a couple even here in Washington state. He ended up getting rid of it because stock it had terrible ground clearance and just didn't suit his needs. He ended up with a Kubota RTV and is much happier with that. (it's licensed for road use in MT as well)

If you plan on using it on local roads you may need it licensed as well. I drove his into town once, and it's downright frightening above about 35 mph.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Ocrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link DE Bishop. That link is an Invaluable resource

Ocrv
Explorer
Explorer

Ocrv
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I googled Honda Acty street legal and one of the suggested links read โ€œClosest thing to a death trap thatโ€™s street legalโ€, lol.
Not at all sure about flat towing though.

lol

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This link will tell you which common mini-trucks are towable. LINK

Rangers are tricky as the towability changes from year to year. It seems all Dakotas are okay, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are twins and okay. Best to check years and compatibility.

Base plates are sort of but not exactly matched to tow bars. You can use a Remco towbar with a RoadMaster baseplate but with special adapters. I'd look at buying a matched set. Some like mine are very heavy but some are much lighter.

Not familiar with Demco or BlueOx instructions but remember sometimes like with my GV, there were changes throughout the years they were made and the instructions were not perfect. YouTube usually has videos on installations.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I googled Honda Acty street legal and one of the suggested links read โ€œClosest thing to a death trap thatโ€™s street legalโ€, lol.
Not at all sure about flat towing though.
-- Chris Bryant

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
I have a hijet I use in the woods, the sticker in the cab says off road only.

THe ones you mentioned are, to my understanding, not street licensable , at least in Florida.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hijet I use in the woods, the sticker in the cab says off road only.