Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 6/191 from Provo to Canyonland

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
This is my first trip driving my 31ft 2006 Class C Ford 450 from Provo to Canyonlands. I really don’t want to white knuckle it. I don’t mind taking a more indirect route. Looking for easiest route.
Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
It’s timed perfectly. I do have a GPS but I wanted to know from experience what the best route is. Nothing better than getting advice from people that have experienced it. So I do have one last question. What is the best route from Bryce Canyon to Zion. Thanks everyone !

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need a GPS considering that our responses may not be timed with your travel schedule!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Kreshaus wrote:
Thanks everyone!! We are now heading to Bryce Canyon from Capital Reef. What is the easiest route to take?

UT 12 from Torrey to Bryce is the only US scenic highway in Utah. You will have some grades and drive the backbone of the mountains but the views are wonderful and we did it in our DP with no problems.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!! We are now heading to Bryce Canyon from Capital Reef. What is the easiest route to take?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It's not difficult at all. It's the standard two lane highway. Here's a YouTube of what the area and highway looks like.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult of a drive is it from Moab to capital reef?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Kreshaus wrote:
Thank you!!!

4runnerguys info on Moab - Good Stuff

Keep in mind all the State Park Options in the Area. .:) Goblins - Kodachrome - Escalante to name a few.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!!!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing tricky about the roads between Moab and Capital Reef - ordinary state and federal highways. But it's a long way around, either to the north or south. The canyons and rivers are in the way of a direct route.

Highways generally avoid the difficult stuff (unlike the jeep trails), or make big cuts and fills, as I70 does.

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult of a drive is it from Moab to capital reef?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Kreshaus wrote:
Thanks!!!

While in Moab be sure to drive out RT 128 along the Colorado River - Just beautiful.

Moab - RT 128 Colorado River Drive
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which part of Canyonlands? I shouldn't have to ask that; in an RV, Island In the Sky is the most likely choice. The other units are more backcountry. US191 is the only road that connects most of these units and Arches (and Moab).

Unless you want to take the Shafer switchbacks off of Island to the Potash Rd and UT 279! 🙂

Kreshaus
Explorer
Explorer
So another question for all you experts. What is the best way to go from Canyonland to Arches?