cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pressure issue

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased my second class a pusher over the weekend. Have had another class a for 8 years so not new to rv’ing. Question for you all. This new one the water when going through the water seems to constantly have air in the line after I run the faucet or shower water for about 20 seconds or more. Water starts out strong then starts to sputter. I changed the water filter today and no change. To me seems like a lot of air still in system. I hooked up city water and ran the air out of system that way but as soon as I turn it off and turn water pump back on does same thing. Any thoughts other than there is more air in the system. Rv was in dealer inventory for 2 months before I purchased.
Rv is a 2014 coachmen cross country sport Coach.
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
GTMADNS wrote:
Figured it out. There are 6 Valves in compartment 4 are drains and 2 I have no idea but turning one it had normal psi. Thanks guys

I would guess the one you turned (and probably the other unknown one as well) is for winterizing, to enable sucking antifreeze from the bottle with a hose connected...somewhere. One valve to shut off the pump suction from the water tank, and the other to turn on the suction to the antifreeze hose connection, or possibly a two-way valve to do both at the same time.

The other sort of valve you might sometimes find is a water fill valve to fill the tank from the city water inlet. Opening it when trying to use the pump will cause the pump to run incessantly, pumping water from the tank back into the tank. Opening it (if you have it) and operating the valve(s) to winterize lets you pump water into the tank from a container, which is occasionally handy.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Figured it out. There are 6 Valves in compartment 4 are drains and 2 I have no idea but turning one it had normal psi. Thanks guys

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The filter on the inlet side of the pump is not pressurized. On some pumps it is maybe 2" in diameter and has an O-ring that sometimes leaks. It is connected to and part of the pump, not a separate piece.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the main water filter in the water fill compartment. It is definitely holding psi. As soon as I twisted the filter off it shot pressurized water out. No other filter i see under any of the sinks. This water issue is in every sink and the shower. I have a spare water pump from last rv it’s the same pump I was thinking of changing that tonight to see if it’s the same.
I am not hooked up to city water and running the pump at the same Time
I did fill the water tank full yesterday as well so I know that’s at the top of the tank. I’m calling coachman. There are a few valves in the water compartment that I’m not sure what they are for yet. I figured out the drains on the system.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you hooked to city water and have your pump turned on?

Many times. espically if you use a "Regulator" of the cheap variety (roughly a 3/4" cylinder one piece May have a bright plastic grip on the female end) these are not able to deliver the GPM to the shower. So if you have your pump on it will kick in. if the fresh water tank is full of air. not water. Well it pumps air into the lines.

The solution is one of two things
1: Fill the tank. That way the pump pumps water
2: Toss that piced of junk regulator and get either
1: A Valterra Adjustable or
2: I use a 3/4 inch Watts or Zurin (I have both brands) with hose adapters. When new I can set them to 50 PSI Static. and then turn the shower on FULL and that needle does not even wiggle.. Pump will never run.

When they age and start restricting flow they can be rebuilt.

That said. I no longer use 'em.. the reason is I use method 1.. Fill the tank and then use the pump.. Long story as to way but the short version is it fixed a problem.. not with the rv but with the water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rob_Mitch
Explorer
Explorer
GTMADNS wrote:
Would there not be a water leak on the suction side if there was a crack ?

No, it would not necessarily have a water leak or even a drip on the suction side because there is very little pressure even when the pump is nor running and when running the pump is sucking air into the system. Somewhat like a crack in a plastic soda straw.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
What water filter did you change? My coach had a water filter in the kitchen to filter the water before it came out the faucet. There is usually a small water filter on the suction side of the pump itself. This filter is just cleaned, not changed. If the gasket on this filter is not sealing properly, it will suck air when the pump is running. Since it is on a non-pressurized part of the water system, it may not leak at all while sitting there. When hooked up to the campground water does not flow through the pump or the input filter.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Would there not be a water leak on the suction side if there was a crack ?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump is sucking air into system ....something on pump suction side
Could be the suction line, could be pump strainer, could be crack in pump casing but it is on the suction side.

Discharge side it would be a water leak
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31