cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Chevy Duramax 3.0 Diesel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Chevy 3.0 Duramax has been delayed due to the EPA which is a shame, but not surprising. Also not a fan of the timing chain installed on the rear of the engine.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
52 REPLIES 52

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Muleycrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I would have preferred they stayed with a DPF injector.

Why ?

I believe it is to help prevent fuel washing the cylinder(s) and fuel dilution. I think absent the extra injector, the engine squirts fuel in a cylinder with the exhaust valve open to have it sent downstream. At least that was my understanding years ago when the extra injector was introduced.

Well said Bryan...

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Muleycrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Why ?

I believe it is to help prevent fuel washing the cylinder(s) and fuel dilution. I think absent the extra injector, the engine squirts fuel in a cylinder with the exhaust valve open to have it sent downstream. At least that was my understanding years ago when the extra injector was introduced.

Muleycrazy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Why ?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
ksss wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Really good look at the technical aspects of the engine.

The oil pump drive belt is bathed in oil and requires the transmission (and transfer case if 4x4) be removed to service it 150k minimum life expectancy for the belt.

I also found it interesting that they went with a post combustion diesel injection event from the normal in cylinder injectors to regen the DPF, rather than a dedicated injector like they had on the V8 Duramax which I always thought was a smarter solution to the DPF regen process. I guess they figured out a way to stop that fuel from diluting the engine oil which used to be an issue for DPF equipped trucks.

I realize it's good for packaging, but I question the decision to have a very hot DPF right next to the engine under the hood.

CLICKY

Heavy Equipment is packaged the same way and there are no issues with heat and they don't go 70 mph.

I think construction equipment is less sealed for aero than a pickup truck front end is. With the hood closed that heat really has no where to go. Time will tell I suppose, and I'm sure it's something they have thought of and designed for.

There are many other diesels that do the same. My BMW diesel is(was) that way. It did make the temps under the hood get pretty hot during regen and would not want any intake piping near that thing. However, it was installed close to the engine in order to get the DPF/SCR temps up quicker for emissions. Just another sacrifice made in engine performance and/or reliability for our overly strict US diesel emissions.

On another note, I would expect this thing to get less fuel economy than the Ford and Ram 3.0L diesels. In order to make its higher power and meet emissions, compression ratio is low (for a diesel) at 15:1 while Ford's is 16:1 and the Ecodiesel is 16.5:1.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:

The oil pump drive belt is bathed in oil and requires the transmission (and transfer case if 4x4) be removed to service it 150k minimum life expectancy for the belt.

I also found it interesting that they went with a post combustion diesel injection event from the normal in cylinder injectors to regen the DPF, rather than a dedicated injector like they had on the V8 Duramax which I always thought was a smarter solution to the DPF regen process. I guess they figured out a way to stop that fuel from diluting the engine oil which used to be an issue for DPF equipped trucks.

I realize it's good for packaging, but I question the decision to have a very hot DPF right next to the engine under the hood.

CLICKY

I do like that the exhaust that is routed to the EGR is post DPF so it should be clean air without the soot that builds up in the EGR system.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
ib516 wrote:

CLICKY

Heavy Equipment is packaged the same way and there are no issues with heat and they don't go 70 mph.

I think construction equipment is less sealed for aero than a pickup truck front end is. With the hood closed that heat really has no where to go. Time will tell I suppose, and I'm sure it's something they have thought of and designed for.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I could see myself behind the wheel of a baby Dmax Trail Boss!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I wonder how many people will avoid this engine because of the low life expectancy and rubber belt at back of engine. To me a Diesel should last longer then that.

I guess we'll find out from the owners down the road on durability.

Most buyers won't know and are unaware of the intricacies and maintenance of a diesel. Owning a diesel makes them the big boy of the block.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

CLICKY

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ib516
Explorer
Explorer

CLICKY
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
I sure hope they went back to Isuzu for help in designing this piece like they did for the development of the original Duramax. If they didn't they will PO light truck diesel owners off again.

No they did not it is from their design studios in Turin Italy

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
150k design life. Italian design? That's for shoes and sports cars.

Should have stuck with Isuzu. They know diesels.

Not high output ones. Europeans are good at that

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I like how they praise the inline 6 design as being superior to a "V" design. I wonder what the HD division guys at GM think of that marketing strategy?

A lot of companies are going to inline sixes, smoother engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If this is actually the case then Iโ€™m guessing that the service interval would be much longer or GM is shooting themselves in the foot.
They have the most desirable configuration, I6, hopefully itโ€™s well though out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold