cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable TV surge protection

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Do most folks use an in-line surge protector on their cable tv coax cable? If so, where are you connecting it to ground?
23 REPLIES 23

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to install a grounding block at the coax entry on side of the RV and make sure the block is "solidly" connected to ground. The ground wire & connection in an RV and the same in a CG pedestal may not be in good condition and unable to adequately dissipate the energy to ground. If really concerned, maybe a driven ground rod is thing to do if at a permanent site. Most pedestals don't have a ground rod and rely on a ground wire back to the source panel. CG wiring is not always in the best of shape.

If you have a hard-wired PI EMS, I found that the ground wire they come with is really small gauge. I reconnected it so that the ground wire from the panel runs through the EMS with same size gauge all the way to the power inlet. I've seen a couple reports of some having their EMS go up in smoke after a lightning strike which could be because of the way the EMS comes.

Satellite dishes, antennas and incoming coax from the street in houses have to be grounded by code and they don't use surge suppressors.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

It's RF energy, volts and joules don't really apply.

The thing you are trying to protect AGAINST is NOT RF.....but high voltage hits caused by lightening or crossed wires somewhere down the road.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

Well, they sure will apply if lighting comes anywhere close!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
TVโ€™s Are cheap, Iโ€™d worry more about trailer electronics getting fried. A/c and fridge circuit boards and converter etc. invest in a good surge protector and hope for the best.

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Big_steve wrote:
Do most folks use an in-line surge protector on their cable tv coax cable? If so, where are you connecting it to ground?

I made mine using a standard coax cable in-line surge protector. It hooks up to the campground's cable connection using the attached 6" coax cable with a standard coax cable hooking to the other end. I had attached a short 18" bonding cable with an alligator clip to the ground screw. The alligator clip just attaches to the electric or water ground clamp at your spot.

The coax cable surge protector (not to be mistaken for a ordinary grounding connector) was about $25 and the bonding cable was $5 from a welder who didn't need it.

Thanks.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DFord wrote:
Take your pick (lots to choose from):
Well, perhaps I don't know how to read the specs on those things, but I was expecting the words 'volts' and 'joules' somewhere, but found none.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Big_steve wrote:

I made mine using a standard coax cable in-line surge protector. It hooks up to the campground's cable connection using the attached 6" coax cable with a standard coax cable hooking to the other end. I had attached a short 18" bonding cable with an alligator clip to the ground screw. The alligator clip just attaches to the electric or water ground clamp at your spot.

The coax cable surge protector (not to be mistaken for a ordinary grounding connector) was about $25 and the bonding cable was $5 from a welder who didn't need it.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Well, perhaps I don't know how to read the specs on those things, but I was expecting the words 'volts' and 'joules' somewhere, but found none.

And I couldn't find a single review where anyone said they were actually struck by a surge or lightning.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DFord
Explorer
Explorer

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tv+cable+lightning+arrestor&crid=3V49SJN73VU33&sprefix=TV+cable+light%2Ca...
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big_steve wrote:
road-runner wrote:
2oldman wrote:
First I've heard of this. Where would a surge of power come from in a coax cable?
Lightning, I would think.

Yes, Have lost a tv and and a desktop over the years from nearby lightning coming in the coax cable.

NOTHING short of fully 100% disconnecting the cable from a TV, cable modem, TV antenna is going to "protect" you from an direct OR INDIRECT lightning strike on said device.

Anyone who tells you that their addon device will protect your device from a lightning strike is full of baloney.

I have never lost a TV or any other device due to lightning strikes when they are fully 100% disconnected.

I have lost POTS phones, DSL modem, answering machine, router, PC network card, network hub which was not disconnected and we had a nearby lightning strike (not direct hit).

So, as a rule of thumb, IF there is a 30% or better chance of an electrical storm and we are not going to be home, EVERYTHING from DSL modem, PCs, TVS, stereos, Sat equipment MUST be disconnected. The only item that does not get disconnected is the POTS phone and answering machine.

You simply cannot buy a $10-$1000 addon wonder device which can handle the power of a lightning strike.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, Not many RVers do this (none that I know of) but there are two types of Surge protection and yes lightening is the danger

One is called a grounding block. Now some RVers have those. I had 'em for my sat feed when I had sat TV Basically it is a double female with mounting tabs. the "Barrel" is connected to the tabs which are then grounded.

I know one Cable Company that uses these on ALL installs at the homeowner's point of service.

The 2nd surge protector really is not needed for RV use but it's a gas discharge I do use this type of protection on antennas.. but not on coax.
You won't find it in your local Best Buy or Radio Shack (if you can find one).

One interesting thing. When Ted designed that cable system I mentioned he put all sorts of lightening arrester/surge protection at the "HEAD" (base of the tower where the company electronics are) and as I said additional protection at every customer's house.. The competitor in that town only at the tower.

Competitor's tower (When last we discussed) had taken 3 Lightening strikes to Ted's Zero.. Now I won't tell you the name of his employer for assorted reasons The biggest is. NO campgrounds served that I know of by that company.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Gas discharge tube protector. Not specifically for catv, just radio in general. Forget solid state protectors.

Just my humble 2 cents
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Big_steve wrote:

NO. NOt worth the trouble.

About the only thing that will cause a "surge" on the TV cable is a direct lightening hit......and that little suppressor won't do anything to stop that.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Nope, never heard of one, and most likely wouldn't have one if I had heard of it. come to think of it, we don't have one at home either.

If you have cable at home, there is a good chance you have one installed by the cable company. To each their own. I live in lightning country and have lost a tv and a desktop computer to a spike coming down the cable.