cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 93 south from Polson MT and Salmon ID.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Later in the week we are headed out of Polson Mt to Salmon ID. on hwy 93. How bad are the climbs on that hwy? I took it many years ago but don't remember any details. Thanks!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
6 REPLIES 6

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, beyond Wisdom is Wise and south of there is the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway and Crystal Park. A lot of nice FS CG's a long the way with a ghost town to explore on foot and crystals to dig for in Crystal Park. I equate this byway to Yellowstone without the crowds. There are scenic overlooks that compare with parking lots to boot, but no crowds.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
The climb up and the descent down Lost Trail Pass is no problem, just take your time and use lower gears. US 93 from Lolo south through the Bitterroot Valley to Darby has a lot of traffic during the commute hours, just watch for speeders and traffic at the intersections. Used to be a beautiful drive, but that was before all the people moved to the Bitterroot; now it's not a relaxing drive looking at the mountains and ranches along the way. Take a short trip towards Wisdom when you get to Lost Trail Pass and visit the Big Hole Battlefield about 12 miles to the east. Very famous area and bad mark on how terrible the military and some locals brought terror onto the NezPerce people who were camped and suffered badly. Not a piece of history that the military can be proud of. Have a good trip, you will be in one of our favorite parts of the west.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! I think I will be fine. I just came up the coast on the 101 and through Coeur D"Alene with rig in signature.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
Lost Trail Pass is the only significant grade. It levels out at ~7000โ€™. I donโ€™t recall it being particularly steep on either side though. Itโ€™s mainly all two-lane as you go further down the Bitterroot Valley. Slow down for all of the small towns. They make good speed traps.

Correct. The climb up to Lost Trail Pass from the valley can be considered steep for some, but it's gradual and winds around to control the ascent angle. Same coming down the other side. If you don't have the power to make it up or down, this will make you nervous, otherwise, it's a beautiful pass.

I always check out passes in my Mountain Directory West and on YouTube. Here's a link to a video on Lost Trail Pass, but there are others.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Lost Trail Pass is the only significant grade. It levels out at ~7000โ€™. I donโ€™t recall it being particularly steep on either side though. Itโ€™s mainly all two-lane as you go further down the Bitterroot Valley. Slow down for all of the small towns. They make good speed traps.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been on the portion of 93 north of I90 at St Regis and it it 2 lane but nothing out of the ordinary I can remember. Hopefully others will chime in the have traveled the entire route..
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY