cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing on Colorado hwy 149

2CAJUNS
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on towing 5th wheel Montana from Gunnison to Creede via Hwy 149 through Lake City over Slumgullion Passé?
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is one doozy of a road with a heavy trailer. Done it twice. First time got a case of smoking truck brakes. Stopped for a 15 minute cool off. Second time, got warm brakes but no smoke. Quite the road. All the way up to the tree line. Did it south to north each time. Got the diesel at around 2000RPM going up & kept it there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
busskipper, thanks for posting that link! It makes me want to rush right back to Colorado. Just two long days of driving, and I'm there . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2CAJUNS
Explorer
Explorer
I came through Lake City and Over Slumgullion Pass on Tuesday. No problem with the trip. Thanks all for the information.

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Well. It looks like I was correct—by a fair margin. https://www.outtherecolorado.com/the-10-steepest-mountain-passes-in-colorado/ . Slumgullion wins!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings from BR!
I haven’t crossed that one but reading about it it looks pretty challenging. If you’re even somewhat experienced it will help a lot. I think the main thing is your tow vehicle. If your real close to the limits of your truck I won’t advise it. If you have a rig in good repair that is up to the load I don’t think you’ll have any problem. Just take lots of slow and easy.
Have a wonderful trip! That part of the country is amazing.
GEAUX TIGAS!!!!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
That is the silver thread Highway. I’ve been over it a few times and didn’t have any trouble. It’s especially beautiful when there is still snow on the mountain tops.
Do some reading on Alfred E packer, the Colorado cannibal. That happened on Slumgullion pass. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned the fact that Lake City asked for volunteers to travel down there over Memorial Day weekend to fill sandbags to protect large parts of the town from flooding. So, I would highly recommend checking with Lake City government and CO 511 for flood conditions and road conditions before you go.

If you need ideas on camping and sightseeing along US 50 or US 160, see my blog HERE.

BTW, we have towed our fifth wheel over that route with no problems. But we do have the advantage of a diesel exhaust brake.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Steep, curvy and slow from Lake City to the pass. I wouldn't tow it going the other direction, but some do. Beautiful area.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
I've never driven that stretch of road. Now you've got me curious!

Oh what you have Missed - Images of the Lake City area - These will blow you away.

IMHO this is one of the most beautiful areas in the State.

JMHO,

Really try not to let too many Know as it is just the Best.

Thanks for sharing your photos

Wish I could take credit for even a few of these but they are far to Professional for ME.

Michael Underwood - https://www.michaelunderwoodphotography.com/

I just bookmarked them, when I was doing a search - they are Good , Really GOOD!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

Oh what you have Missed - Images of the Lake City area - These will blow you away.

JMHO,

Thanks for sharing your photos
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the Clearcreek Falls stop.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Very doable with proper tow vehicle. Just take your time. When you think you are gaining a little momentum you will hit a 10MPH switchback. Beautiful drive but they have lost millions of pine trees in that area.

If you have time make a stop at North Clearcreek falls. It is on the Creed side of the pass and well worth the time. Just a 1/4 mile off 149. There will be a sign before you get there.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine