cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front AC not working?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My 34' 2005 coach has 2 zones for the AC the front does not seem to be blowing cold air. The rear AC unit zone 2 is very cold. Couple that with the dash air not blowing very cold air and the front of the coach is pretty hot you could hang meat in the bedroom in the back. I figure I probably need a new unit but was wondering if there is anything I can check?

If I do need a new unit is this a DIY job or is it something that needs to be done at an RV shop? I have DIY skills and a forklift to load unload the AC unit and a background in mechanical and electrical but I am not an RV tech.

I plan to have the dash air looked at. I also noticed the dash heat in the winter did not work well. The valves in the heater lines are turned on right now. I plan to turn them off and try the dash air again before having it worked on.

Thanks Mike

Have a happy fathers day!!
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
16 REPLIES 16

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure it's a typo capacitor
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
Have you replaced the compactor on the front one. Worthwhile cheap fix. I replaced both and fixed the issue.

What is the compactor?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
I used a register deflector available at most good hardware stores. Works great to get the air where I need it most! Quick and easy.

That is a good idea thanks.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you replaced the compactor on the front one. Worthwhile cheap fix. I replaced both and fixed the issue.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I used a register deflector available at most good hardware stores. Works great to get the air where I need it most! Quick and easy.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
This is the vent cover it has Vent cover

If you close the louvers almost all air is forced to the rear of the coach there are only 2 round vents forward and hardly any air moves forward through them. With the vent cover removed it pushes a lot of air. The vent can't be turned around because of the fresh air portion of the vent. I need a way to divert some air forward. The unit is a Coleman Airxcel model 8534B8797

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
It was clean under the cover what I found is it cools just fine but the duct work is not designed very well almost all the air is pushed to the rear of the coach. If you close off the ducts under the AC unit and force the air through the ducts most of the air goes to the rear of the coach leaving the front portion with that huge window very hot.

I am going to design a new vent cover that I can direct more air forward. I machine plastic for a living so I will just make a nice new vent cover for the inside that has some vents to push air forward.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We just replaced our roof units last summer on the class A that we bought two years ago. Very easy for some like with with very basic mechanical skills. As simple as remove 4 bolts, unplugging wires, and plugging back and bolting back. It required three people though. In inside position the unit while two on the roof picked up and moved the unit without sliding it on the seal.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I have seen on MY Coleman (And others as well)

The concenser coils (The ones on the outside) Get clogged. now on a coleman this is simple You need.. One each Phillips head screwdriver #2 or 3 should do it.

That's all folks. a soft bristle brush may help too (Like a dusting brush or shoe brush. or even a hair brush)

Up on the roof and look at the thing. if you can not clearly see the fins. use srewdriver to remove 4 screw head bolts on top and the washer under them

Lift cover and peal then brush the crud off.

Replace cover, washer and bolts

It now will work better

ON MINE when it cruds up it will trip the breaker

OTHER MODELS

You have more screws to remove (#2 driver still works, I use a battery driver for these) then you have an inner cover as well that has to be opened. Some it's just screws. Mine it's tape and bend tabs and that's why it now has a coleman fan so I dont' have to do that. but the coleman fan does not cool the condenser as well it seems as I have to do a lot more cleaning on that unit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Before doing surgery to the refrigerant system pull inside output vents and check for sealing of cold air from going inside roof instead of inside coach.Buy a rool of aluminum Duct Tape and fix if there are gaps.
Then on top pull cover off ac and check for cotton wood tree seeds and any other blocking and clean and the fan too.
Have someone turn it on from inside while observing and listening on top.
Low refrigerant will cause the evaporator to freeze up and water should drip from ducts inside as well as drain if that is the case after turning off and given time for ice to melt.
The front ac always catches whatever is in the air going down the road first.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been playing around with it and it does seem to put out cold air just not very much, it doesn't seem to make any difference on fan speed the amount of air does not change. I have taken the top off of it and looked for any blockage it all seems clear and it is not as dirty as I would have thought. It may be a fan relay or the fan motor is tired. I am letting it run again to make sure the coil is getting cold.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you can do it yourself and you have the stuff to do it with. Change both of ours a few years back along with new Thermostat. No issues. enjoy

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Is this a single unit basement A/C ?

This could be a ductwork flap problem
Or
A #2 compressor problem

You need some one to look at

Model# and Mfg brand info, will get you more answers and probably better

This is a double roof type system I believe they are Coleman but I need to pull the cover off and check.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Neither one of mine are working right now. I can hear the compressor kick on when going from fan to ac. Im going to braze in a service port pull a vacuum and fill with r22 and see how it goes. If not will have to replace both.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU