Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice for first time RV rental and experience
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Advice for first time RV rental and experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/19/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Not sure if you understand. Finding any RV with two separate sleeping compartments, will be very difficult. Only a large RV would have this feature and no rental company would have such a RV. Maybe be a private rental but such a RV is not common.


Not necessarily true, I found a 37KT in UT for rent. They are out there. But they are rare and take some looking.

ascanio1

Napoli

New Member

Joined: 06/16/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/19 02:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

^ I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't even consider 1 large one. no reason not to grab 2 in my opinion. campsites are close by and a baby monitor will easily reach between the 2 sites. This solves all your problems. If they wives wont be reasonable feel free to let them plan the disaster. I'm happy to help though don't assume were all American [emoticon] Proud Canadian here.


Canadian life style is less publicized and, so, our families' first RV experience will be in the US. But, regardless, Canada is one of **my** favourite destinations: Riding Mountain, Jasper, Alberta, Nova Scotia, BC, but we are six and destination is going to be voted. And, if I remember correctly, there's also a beach called Juno... we owe a big gratitude debt to you guys too!

Our priority is to get the wives to like the RV experience even before the holiday itself. We can accept holiday glitches as long as they are not related to the RV. The RV part must be perfect and flawless so that we can then repeat the experience and improve on the holiday aspects that were not perfect (Park access, long waits, bad food, bad attractions, etc.). Ladies' priorities are different from men's and it is in our (men) interest to accomodate them as far as reasonably possible because, if we convince them that RV = fun, then we can repeat the experience (Canada?). [emoticon]

The (minivan transfer + two smaller RVs at site) solution is growing on us. It was a very good idea and we are now balancing these considerations:
a) ladies' comfort
b) costs
c) driving ease and agility
d) practicality (parking, flexibility of movement)
e) availability of vehicles (RVs and shuttle minivan) at location and ease or rent/return, proximity of rental shops...

Thank you for all the advice. This is a very useful discussion and your time is well invested.

ascanio1

Napoli

New Member

Joined: 06/16/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/19 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Not sure if you understand. Finding any RV with two separate sleeping compartments, will be very difficult. Only a large RV would have this feature and no rental company would have such a RV. Maybe be a private rental but such a RV is not common.

Not necessarily true, I found a 37KT in UT for rent. They are out there. But they are rare and take some looking.

One wife commented that the single RV solution's advantages are that (a) the families can still have fun and be comfortable for 7 or 8 hours, together, while one husband drives and (b) it fulfills our imagination of the American style RV experience.

Mobility around the site remains a challenge and one wife liked a forum member's advice to add a minivan shuttle rental for local, short, transfers to restaurants and attractions.

Long haul transfer in two vehicles or in one small minivan, is (a) not as comfortable - especially for the driver - and (b) defeats that idea/concept of American RV holiday nevertheless it is being seriously considered in case we cannot find a 38ft with 2 compartments (I have seen one with two bathrooms!).

This community's advice is informative and useful to the point that we have the opportunity to change our minds as new opions, advice and recommendations offer new perspectives that we had not considered.

We reallly appreciate the time/expertise as it helps us shape our first RV experience avoiding first timers' mistakes.

* This post was last edited 06/20/19 03:46am by ascanio1 *   View edit history

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/19 03:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while not a renter and also using travel trailers instead of motorhomes id like to point out that most of my camping is in groups with multiple rigs. Every june we do a large extended family campout. we have had as many as 12 sites with various rigs on them (smallest being a tent largest being 5th wheels well over 30 feet and everything in between. We have a 6 person site limit where we camp. each family gets their own site but we all still have common meals and campfires and visit. this is the norm for us and we are all still very much camping together only without the drama that will be inevitable with a shared rig.

also yes, Juno was our beach to take. One of the proudest yet most tragic moments in our history.

What part of Italy are you from? My family tree leads back to Abruzzo.

* This post was edited 06/20/19 04:08am by Jebby14 *


If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH


Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ascanio1,

Your comment: "The RV part must be perfect and flawless..." is a bit concerning. Not that it can't happen, but I think you almost have to expect something to be less than perfect with any RV trip. Things break, campsites aren't ideal, weather, etc.

If you changed the line to "The RV part must not suck..." that would be easier to accomplish! Set the bar low and be pleasantly surprised when things work better than expected. LOL

I believe you also mentioned that if you had two RV's you could park them so that there'd be a common area between them. This will entirely depend upon the campground. Some allow it, and some do not. It may also limit one of the rigs access to the utilities, especially on a rented rig. You might have to purchase an extension cord for power and another freshwater hose. Doesn't mean you can't have a ton of fun, though! [emoticon]

Good Luck in your planning.

~Rick


2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.


ascanio1

Napoli

New Member

Joined: 06/16/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/19 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

while not a renter and also using travel trailers instead of motorhomes id like to point out that most of my camping is in groups with multiple rigs. Every june we do a large extended family campout. we have had as many as 12 sites with various rigs on them (smallest being a tent largest being 5th wheels well over 30 feet and everything in between. We have a 6 person site limit where we camp. each family gets their own site but we all still have common meals and campfires and visit. this is the norm for us and we are all still very much camping together only without the drama that will be inevitable with a shared rig.
Our two families would like to try the one vehicle experience, mainly because we don't like to drive for long distances at slow speeds and so two husbands can share the driving hours. But your idea of "semi-detached" camping sounds a winner: enough privacy to be able to avoid annoying relatives and opportunity to mingle when you feel like it.

Jebby14 wrote:

also yes, Juno was our beach to take. One of the proudest yet most tragic moments in our history.
Mother's side grandfather fought in WWII as a top ranking official but was jailed and sentenced to death by Mussolini for contravening racial laws (he hid jews in our home); the very day of his execution his prison was liberated by the allies and my mother was born exactly 9 months later. If I live today it is only because someone died on those beaches fighting for Europe's liberty. My wife and I decided that we owed it to our daughter to educate her on what your great Countries stand for. Too many foreigners (and sadly Americans too) hate what you stand for because their parents failed to educate them about history or didn't teach them that the price of liberty is blood. You are absolutely right to be proud of Juno.

Jebby14 wrote:

What part of Italy are you from? My family tree leads back to Abruzzo.
Both sides of my family are from Naples. Father's side knighted in 1721 by the King of Naples and Mother's side knighted in 1536 by Emperor Charles V.

ascanio1

Napoli

New Member

Joined: 06/16/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/19 01:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay wrote:

ascanio1, Your comment: "The RV part must be perfect and flawless..." is a bit concerning. Not that it can't happen, but I think you almost have to expect something to be less than perfect with any RV trip. Things break, campsites aren't ideal, weather, etc. If you changed the line to "The RV part must not suck..." that would be easier to accomplish! Set the bar low and be pleasantly surprised when things work better than expected. LOL
You are right. You make a good point. We better lower the expectations while still strive to deliver the best possible experience to our Families. Good point, I better start remodelling the expectations.

Rick Jay wrote:

I believe you also mentioned that if you had two RV's you could park them so that there'd be a common area between them. This will entirely depend upon the campground. Some allow it, and some do not. It may also limit one of the rigs access to the utilities, especially on a rented rig. You might have to purchase an extension cord for power and another freshwater hose. Doesn't mean you can't have a ton of fun, though! [emoticon]
Another good point. Thank you. We saw so images of multiple RVs by a lake, with a campfire in the middle or in a forest with kids playing in the middle. Those images are encouraging our wives.

Rick Jay wrote:

Good Luck in your planning.~Rick
Thank you. Luck is what makes a perfect plan work... [emoticon]

Can you recommend campsites where an RV, albeit a calss C can reach the shores of a lake or inside a forest in California or nearby?

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you could rent a RV someplace near you for a short trip to get some experience. I know you don't have RV's as large as what we have here but you would get a basic idea of what it is like and what you may need. The sugestion of YouTube videos is a good one. So much info available and seeing it versus reading it sometimes make things easier to understand. You can search for basic RV info or even the parks or campgrounds you want to stay at.

ken56

Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 01/12/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys sound like you would be great to meet. Like people on this site RVers are a very social and helpful sort. When here and at a campground don't hesitate to ask someone for help with something if you should need it. Most folk are more than willing to be helpful. Don't be shy to say hi to people. I hope you make many new friends on your adventure.

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2007

View Profile



Posted: 07/03/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ascanio1 wrote:



The RV part must be perfect and flawless so that we can then repeat the experience and improve on the holiday aspects that were not perfect (Park access, long waits, bad food, bad attractions, etc.).


Bwahahahaha. "RV" "privacy" and "perfect/flawless" do not belong in the same sentence. RVing is all about adventures, the ones you planned and the ones you hadn't planned. Half the fun of RVing is the little (and sometimes big) situations that inevitably arise. If everyone can remain flexible, resilient, kind, cool, and friendly you'll have a great time. If one or more of you are high maintenance, I foresee an uncomfortable experience.

As for privacy, divest yourselves of that notion. There is NO privacy aboard an RV. Make peace with hearing, seeing, and smelling your friends' every pee, poop, fart, kiss, cuddle, and disagreement. If you can go along and pretend that these things are not happening within 20-feet of where you're sitting, you'll be fine. Cultivate a very broad sense of humor for this trip, cuz you're gonna need it.

ETA: Here are some highlights of our years of RVing:

*Ear infection, burst eardrum
*Hit a building, tore off half the roof ($3,000)
*Ran out of diapers in Yellowstone
*Gerbil died in Grand Tetons, transported home in the freezer
*Vomiting & diarrhea x 2 days
*Cornea abrasion
*Bashed the front of the camper ($6,000)
*Nearly ran out of gas in the desert
*Got lost in the Big Horn Mountains
*Buffalo peed on our campsite (5-ft in diameter pool of pee!)
*Lightning strike 10 feet from the camper, made our ears ring
*Life-threatening pneumonia
*Wind tore off the awning ($1,000)
*Rolled our rig & tow vehicle

* This post was edited 07/03/19 10:49am by Chock Full o' Nuts *


"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956


2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Advice for first time RV rental and experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS