Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for first time RV rental and experience

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to everyone,

We seek any advice that this community is willing and has time to spare to offer to two Italian families, both with one daughter (2 x 4 y.o.) who are renting and experiencing an RV holiday for their very first time.

We want to visit Grand Canyon or Yosemite or Yellowstone or other National parks in the US. We have 2 weeks (any time of the year).

The two little girls are friends and can sleep in the same bed but the two couples would prefer some intimacy (separate compartment?). Of course cost is a parameter and agility of the vehicle a big concern (only one of us has a lorry driving license but unsure if the International Driving Licence will endorse that permit).

We understand that our requirements are contrasting (two separate sleeping compartments vs agility) so we can compromise.

We seek advice on the best rental companies, vehicle size, options to ask for (we want 4 mountain bikes with seats for the little girls), and really any other advice, recommendation, items to consider, what's important and what is not, dangers, laws, regulations, etc., etc..

Basically anything that you would say to friends who are jumping into this experience for the first time and who find even know what questions to ask!

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise that you will share with us.
85 REPLIES 85

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi and welcome!

We have made several trips through the Western US and Canada in rented RVs. In fact, our first RV trip ever was in a rented Class C from Cruise America. It got us hooked.
Thousands of people from Europe do it every year. It is not difficult.

1) I believe you need not worry about your drivers license. As far as I am informed, you are good to go with a rented RV in the US. If unsure, clarify with the rental company before booking. The international license has never interested anyone in the 15+ times I have traveled there.

2) watch this orientation video by one of the big rental companies. They show it to every renter. It is good, basic info: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdr4Z1LBKY

3) The intimidating size of a small class C is not an issue on American roads. Plenty of space. But watch your height, especially trees on parking lots! It takes some time getting used to it.

4) The West is very wide. Very much unlike Europe. Plan less, and spend more time looking, hiking. Go to smaller locations, not just National Parks. There are many, many beautiful state parks. Traffic is not an issue out West, you can plan long driving legs. But don't drive too much. You are on vacation, there is no award for most-places-visited. Restaurants and gas stations can be hours apart. Fill up as soon as the tank is half empty. Have enough food supplies with you, there may be no restaurant available where you spend the night. You are there for the beauty of the land, not necessarily for the best food.

5) I agree that the children may be too small to enjoy the trip. If you take them along, plan according to their needs.

6) I have liked spring for traveling. But the earlier you go, the colder it gets. The south rim of Grand Canyon is at over 2000m elevation! Denver is called the Mile-High city. Many areas out west are pretty high up. Some important travel routes are closed in winter and open up as late as May. On the other hand, Death Valley in February was just ... nice.

7) The best rental company is the one that offers what you want, when you want it. There are a lot of special deals for one-way rentals at certain times of the year. It may make sense to fly into one city and return from another. In Germany, we have a travel agency called canusa.de, which specializes in this sort of travel. I would think Italy has something like it. For your first trip, maybe listen to their recommendations. In any case, there is only a handful of companies catering to international tourism, Cruise America probably being the biggest. I think two smallish class C RVs would work best for you. Also, that sector has the most offerings and the best prices.

Feel free to contact me via PM if you want to talk directly.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ascanio1 wrote:
I cannot see images because I am unable to correctly set my forum preferences. I cannot see what you posted.

bikendan wrote:

forget hunting and renting rifles. not going to happen, especially from California. the 2nd Amendment doesn't fly there.
😞
Very, very sad. What made America so great is your forefathers' foresight into liberty and freedom. When you will have become like Europe, it will be too late...

bikendan wrote:

my wife worked in the Napa Valley wineries and we have numerous friends and adopted nieces/nephews from Italy. saying you're from Naples explains a lot.
:B
She has a number of former co-workers from the Naples area.
we have stayed with them in Tuscany, Venice and Lake Como. my wife absolutely LOVES Italy!
Come visit our country. I will help with all you need!

We will be making a trip to Italy next year, my second trip there and her fourth.
As to our freedoms as Americans, we have plenty of European friends who think as you do. Unfortunately our media here, presents a totally opposite European viewpoint, that's held up as a gold standard for the world to emulate. Our European friends don't agree and wish they lived here.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
You know the more that I think about your planed trip that with all the “NEW/DIFFERENT/CUSTOMS/LAWS” etc and the DISTANCES between MAJOR attractions that for the first time you should limit your trip to only two major destinations and then use two Airline arrival/departure locations. Then rent a Air B@B, bed and Breakfast close to your major destinations.

Example- Fly into LAX or Salt Lake City, UT rent a car there and drive to West Yellowstone, MT (6-7 hr including lunch from SLC, add 9-10 hr from LAX) stay in a Air B&B, stay there 3-4 days, then drive to Jackson, WY to a Air B&B, stay there 3-4 days then drive to Grand Canyon, AZ to a Air B&B ( in Williams, AZ) for 2-3 days the return the car to Phoenix, AZ and fly out of there to return to Italy. That way with everything NEW in the US you would not have to worry about a RV. Remember that between getting up in the AM, packing, feeding baby, 6-8 hours driving, checking in, eating, un-packing will wind up taking a FULL day.

Now about a RV- They are just like a Hospital, absolutely no privacy and ALL modesty is out the window, especially for younger couples that want THEIR private personal time! Then you know about infants they require their “own” private personal time. Then there is the going to a un- familiar grocery store, shopping for un- familiar items going back to the RV and figuring out WHERE/HOW to store everything. How to dump the waste Tanks, fill with water, how do I level/stabilize it, are you sure that I can BACK this thing into THAT space! (this is after a 6 hour driving time turned into a 10 hour day after a flat tire)

Also in Y’Stone/Tetons when going from one thermal attraction to another PARKING the RV is another problem.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
What a post! Thank you for your time and expertise that were, both, very much appreciated and useful. I will not quote the whole post to save space but I have copied it and kept it in our travel notepad.

richardcoxid wrote:
YNP is BIG!, about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The “figure 8 grand loop” road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
:E

richardcoxid wrote:
Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS! That is called purifying the gene pool!
LOL! :B Darwin award winners!

Wow, Richard, thank you again for your precious advice and experience. It will save us time and anxiety and will allow us to make the best use of our time!

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Few Class C's are set up for six, and both of the kids will be required by law in most states to be in car seats.
We are planning to buy two very simple infant car cushions to raise their waiste level so that they can use normal seatbelts.

CharlesinGA wrote:
There are smaller rental companies and even individuals that own several motorhomes to rent, but you need the security of a well maintained motorhome and a company that can resolve problems should they arise.
We were directed to some companies like this one that offer both roadside support and insurance, on privately owned RVs. It seems pretty safe and reliable to me, do you have different experiences?

CharlesinGA wrote:
Spend some evenings reading up on the national parks on their web sites, and elsewhere, and watch some good Youtube videos of some of these parks to see what it is like to visit them and get an idea of time. I highly suggest, since we are talking small children, watching Less Junk, More Journey and their National Park videos. They have several playlists of videos and one is of their various National Park visits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tVkUkfkM4&list=PLsbCfw4A0PRpFgUEpkqt6w12XaBt6yxE9
Thanks Charles, we have been watching many youtube videos but this one had not come up. We will watch them. We are also reading a lot and this forum, too, is being extremely helpful.

CharlesinGA wrote:
Lots of good online info to allow you to plan a doable trip that will not wear you out. You need at least one day a week to take a break and reset, do laundry, etc. Plan on limiting your trip, there is always another year to come and visit. Charles
You are absolutely right. There will always be another year to complete the experience!

Thank you Charles!

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Hunting would probably be a no go, but there are many gun ranges including indoors in the cities where you can rent a gun and do some target practice.
Target practice is not my ideal recreational use of firearms. It has been my dream for ever to hunt in the US. After a few posts here informing me that hunting would be a no go, I researched. I found many companies that offer hunting trips/holidays. I might take a day off, during the trip, if I can find such an organized trip, nearby to our destinations.

In Europe we are told that Americans are giving up on their firearms rights. Too bad for you. You have no idea how good you have it over there, especially regarding firearms and individual freedoms.

My daughter had her toy water pistol confiscated at school and we were reported to the Jouvenile Court for moral evaluation. Thank goodness the Judge just gave us a warning.

Trust me, once you start giving up on a liberty, any liberty, there is no end to how far that constraint will go.

I want my daughter to experience the freedom of RV. The freedom to move around and not be tied to a location for her holidays. I think that, perhaps, at least subcontiously, an RV holiday represents for me your American values of freedom.

Sorry for this OT and let me know if I am disturbing the forum.

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
She made little clothes for them. They wore Barbie crowns and rode around in the Barbie car.
Pictures! Pictures! We want to see pictures! LOL this is soooooooooooo cool! My wife will love to see gerbils with a barbie crown in a car!

Your daughter must be creative and imaginative. Thumbs up to her!

Now I know to check the freezers from rented RVs! I will ad it to the check list.

Check list:
-------------------------
1. Check for hidden costs as cleaning fees, full tank fees, mileage, etc.
2. Remember to buy provisions before starting.
3. Remember snacks for little ones (we may not be able to stop when they are hungry).
4. Consider renting a car nearby or consider renting mountain bikes?
5. We should not go on US holidays: higher prices, lesser choice.
6. Ask for TV with Netflix/Hulu?Vudu
7. Class A rides nicer than C
8. Pots & pans, utensils, flat ware, bowls, etc.
9 How do we launder clothes? Camps have these facilities. Remember to plan for it
10. Grilling equipment
11. Ask for an RV with rack for bicycles
12. Plan for sleeping/parking (RVParky+AllstaysApp+ParkadvisorApp)
13. Check driving license requirements (https://www.motorhome-usa.com/driver-license-rv-rental-usa)
14. Downhill: use the driving cautions of my age (low gear, not brakes)
15. Mountain bikes: check rental vs purchase prices: Walmart or Target or online and then gift them to a Church.
16. Racks for bicycles must fit 2 inch receivers, not adjustable (flimsy).
17. Two days between water refill and waste disposal
18. It will take a day to get the RV provisioned and ready and then another day to return it and get to the airport.
19. Check for dead gerbils in the freezer unit if we rent !

ascanio1
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot see images because I am unable to correctly set my forum preferences. I cannot see what you posted.

bikendan wrote:

forget hunting and renting rifles. not going to happen, especially from California. the 2nd Amendment doesn't fly there.
😞
Very, very sad. What made America so great is your forefathers' foresight into liberty and freedom. When you will have become like Europe, it will be too late...

bikendan wrote:

my wife worked in the Napa Valley wineries and we have numerous friends and adopted nieces/nephews from Italy. saying you're from Naples explains a lot.
:B
She has a number of former co-workers from the Naples area.
we have stayed with them in Tuscany, Venice and Lake Como. my wife absolutely LOVES Italy!
Come visit our country. I will help with all you need!

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Some helpful information about YSNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is BIG!, about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The “figure 8 grand loop” road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or stop all traffic for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:00- 9:15 PM then there is a long and bright twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water! HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas only have pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin (2 R/Rs) 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area! I.e. “Never pass up a flush toilet!”

Sun- At YSNP altitude the Sun is intense (uv) have and apply sunscreen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear Sunglasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10 to 15 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F Geyser basin while waiting. O/F INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the U.S. (Meals in the O/F Inn dinning room are “A OK” also.

We have lived about 110 miles from West Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go to YSNP 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all yet! So don’t be discouraged that you didn’t have the time to see all of it. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don’t mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 million visitors in 2015! As far as I know we didn’t lose one of them. Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS! That is called purifying the gene pool!

Note I have seen on this blog and others about folks “day tripping” from YSNP to GTNP, it is done all the time (myself included) however remember this is BIG country and with the speed limits, animals and thermal attractions you will be doing a LOT of slow driving. From Grant Village Visitor Center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a Long days trip!

A point of Coulter Bay (GTNP) clarification- there are two (2) CG’s at Coulter Bay, One the “Coulter Bay RV Park” a full service “RV Park” with FHU’S that takes reservations. The other is the “Coulter Bay Campground “ has no hookups and doesn’t take reservations. Both have about 300 sites and are basically across the road from each other.

The Gros Ventre CG in GTNP (about 5 miles north of Jackson and about 4 miles east toward the town of Kelly, right side of the road) is about 300 sites (including about 30 sites that are electric only) has no hookups and doesn’t take reservations.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/ TABLE SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money on your trip! Check out their website.

http://www.barjchuckwagon.com

Also in Jackson check out the “COWBOY” bar, the bar stools are saddles and the # of Silver Dollars in the bar. The Wort Hotel Bar (just around the corner from the Cowboy Bar) also has Silver Dollars imbedded in the Bar
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ascanio1 wrote:
Check list:
-------------------------
1. Check for hidden costs as cleaning fees, full tank fees, mileage, etc. absolutely
2. Remember to buy provisions before starting. The American west is huge, however, so is Wal-Mart, so yes, buy enough to get by a few days, but never hesitate to stop at a Wal-Mart to get whatever you missed.
3. Remember snacks for little ones (we may not be able to stop when they are hungry). kids are a huge consideration, and that is why I suggested the Less Junk, More Journey videos, as they have a small child, you will pick up on a lot of what they do.
4. Consider renting a car nearby or consider renting mountain bikes?
5. We should not go on US holidays: higher prices, lesser choice.
6. Ask for TV with Netflix/Hulu?Vudu
7. Class A rides nicer than C
8. Pots & pans, utensils, flat ware, bowls, etc.
9 How do we launder clothes? Camps have these facilities. Remember to plan for it
10. Grilling equipment
11. Ask for an RV with rack for bicycles
12. Plan for sleeping/parking (RVParky+AllstaysApp+ParkadvisorApp) Looks like you have that covered, but also add Campendium, Next Exit (for fuel and services), RV Life Apps campground review section (which replaced RVParkReviews). Also, The Allstays app is no longer updated, only the online website has the latest info.
13. Check driving license requirements (https://www.motorhome-usa.com/driver-license-rv-rental-usa) Motorhome rental people will be extremely familiar with this and their web sites may help or you can email them for details of your situation. In the US, I don't think any states require a special license for RV's of the size you are considering, but being international, it may be different.
14. Downhill: use the driving cautions of my age (low gear, not brakes) If the Motorhome has a TOW/HAUL switch on the gear shift lever, use it all the time. You will probably have to reactivate it each start up. It should gear down with a touch of the brakes, but don't hesitate to if it fails to gear down.
15. Mountain bikes: check rental vs purchase prices: Walmart or Target or online and then gift them to a Church.
16. Racks for bicycles must fit 2 inch receivers, not adjustable (flimsy). RV rental companies will be able to help on this, from what I have read, there are no bike racks approved by the rack manufacturer for use on RV's (due to vibration) and the RV may not even have a hitch receiver, to prevent the rental from being used to tow. Check carefully with the rental companies.
17. Two days between water refill and waste disposal
18. It will take a day to get the RV provisioned and ready and then another day to return it and get to the airport.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
A Class C with a rear corner bed and a front cab over bed is doable. Two adults in the cab over, and two in the rear bed, and convert the dinette to a bed at night for the kids. Biggest issue is having enough SAFE seats and seat belts for everyone. Few Class C's are set up for six, and both of the kids will be required by law in most states to be in car seats. These will be very important issues when you begin looking at RV's

There are smaller rental companies and even individuals that own several motorhomes to rent, but you need the security of a well maintained motorhome and a company that can resolve problems should they arise.

I highly suggest you going on Google Maps (desktop or laptop) and finding some of these locations and using it to determine distances. This will quickly be an eye opener for you. (I say use the windows/browser version as I cannot get the Android version of Google Maps to let me pick to random points to determine distances, but only figures distance from present location to a single point). Also switch from default to satellite view, and also try terrain view. Its an eyeopener. You will be at much higher elevations than you are used to, so breath deeply and take it easy till you get accustomed to the altitude.

Spend some evenings reading up on the national parks on their web sites, and elsewhere, and watch some good Youtube videos of some of these parks to see what it is like to visit them and get an idea of time.

I highly suggest, since we are talking small children, watching Less Junk, More Journey and their National Park videos. They have several playlists of videos and one is of their various National Park visits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tVkUkfkM4&list=PLsbCfw4A0PRpFgUEpkqt6w12XaBt6yxE9
Also do not miss out on National Monuments, which are also managed by the National Park Service. There are many of them, and all are well worth seeing. You will see National Parks abbreviated at NP and National Monuments as NM (not to be confused with the US state of New Mexico) when people are discussing them online.

Lots of good online info to allow you to plan a doable trip that will not wear you out. You need at least one day a week to take a break and reset, do laundry, etc. Plan on limiting your trip, there is always another year to come and visit.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hunting would probably be a no go, but there are many gun ranges including indoors in the cities where you can rent a gun and do some target practice.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
ascanio1 wrote:
LOL! I loved the compassion for the Gerbil! Did it get a full funeral back at home?

LOL, we actually did. You have to get the whole picture, though. My 14yo daughter had raised gerbils from the age of 5. She made little clothes for them. They wore Barbie crowns and rode around in the Barbie car. When we went on our 60-day tour of the US, we couldn't find anyone willing to take the 9 gerbils, so we packed them into two cages, Boys Dorm and Girls Dorm, and transported them around the country in the shower tub. When Devereaux died unexpectedly, Daughter was devastated. Her dad so compassionately dug a hole right there in the Grand Tetons, to which my daughter was completely horrified--No way was she putting her precious gerbil in the ground for wolves to dig up! So, I ended up wrapping him up in plastic and storing him next to the popsicles. For YEARS the joke in our family was "Don't eat anything in Mom's freezer!" We buried him in our "gerbil graveyard" when we got home.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
ascanio1 wrote:
Questions:

A) In Parks:
1. can we light fires?
2. can we fish?
3. can we hunt (*) small game?
4. can we swim/row in lakes and rivers?

B) Outside Parks, in the wild:
1. can we light fires?
2. can we fish?
3. can we hunt (*) small game?
4. can we swim/row in lakes and rivers?

(*) Assuming that foreigners can obtain a permit and rent rifles legally.
PS: we love your first two amendments! Especially the first one! And the second one is there to protect the first one (ok it's there to protect against Gov. tyranny but it sounds better to say it the way I did)!

forget hunting and renting rifles. not going to happen, especially from California. the 2nd Amendment doesn't fly there.:(
fishing will be limited, depending on where you go.
my wife worked in the Napa Valley wineries and we have numerous friends and adopted nieces/nephews from Italy. saying you're from Naples explains a lot.:B She has a number of former co-workers from the Naples area.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes