Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Microwave over the range: what's difference
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Microwave over the range: what's difference

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wandering bark

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi. My over the range micro/convection unit has died after 9 years and I want to put just a simple microwave to up in its place. Found one a bit smaller on line, but it is a countertop unit about 800 watts and smaller, which will fit I think...I want to order it from on line. Is there any reason I couldn't put the smaller unit in place of the one I just lost? The plug is up there too.
Thanks for any information you can share.
Fair Winds.
Donnis Thompson

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it!

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most over-the-range units also function as a vent to the outside.
You will lose that feature.....and will need to completely close off the outside vent opening.

ALSO.....you likely will have to make some minor modifications in order to mount the new one securely. Make it about twice as secure as you think it needs to be. Having it come loose due to vibrations or in a crash would be really unfortunate.

My opinion: While I realize that an exact replacement (or very close) is going to be 2 to 3X the cost, if you really can afford that extra $150 or so, I suggest that you do it. Likely it will be rated at 1000 watts too.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main difference I found is how its vented. Over the stove are mostly vented in the front while countertop units are on the sides. I put a countertop unit over the stove in my RV and its already out last the original. Just make sure the vents have enough space.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a microwave only it is not such a big deal. But a microwave/convection would need some method to vent the heat from behind the unit.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did this a few months ago. The old unit and the new unit were mw only, no convection.

I took off the facing and unplugged and pulled out the old mw. Put the new one in place and screwed a piece of 1" x 1/2" piece of wood just inside the front edge to act as an additional stop to keep the mw from flying out while in transit. When I put the metal trim facing back on the stop wasn't visible.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

wandering bark

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all. I think a microwave will be the best choice now. I do have that metal trim facing around it...the new microwave would be about 30 lbs, so I think this mic/convec that's dead is about that. New one is 19" wide, 15" deep, and 11" tall...should fit. I like the idea of the wood strip as extra protection from popping out.
Again, thanks.
Donnis

derh20

Vancouver-Not BC, WA-Not DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would certainly get a 1200 watt microwave. 800 watt takes a long time to do it's job.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

derh20 wrote:

I would certainly get a 1200 watt microwave. 800 watt takes a long time to do it's job.

Might not be able to get a 1200 that fits the "hole".
But 1000 or 1100 is plenty.

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The microwave in our unit is in a cabinet. Winnebago did an incredibly poor job of installing it; I'm still kind of amazed that it didn't fall out, and I recently completed a re-engineering of the installation. I concur: fasten it twice as well as you think you need to.

Donnis, I sent you a private message.

* This post was edited 06/17/19 02:36pm by BillHoughton *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Microwave over the range: what's difference
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS