cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave over the range: what's difference

wandering_bark
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. My over the range micro/convection unit has died after 9 years and I want to put just a simple microwave to up in its place. Found one a bit smaller on line, but it is a countertop unit about 800 watts and smaller, which will fit I think...I want to order it from on line. Is there any reason I couldn't put the smaller unit in place of the one I just lost? The plug is up there too.
Thanks for any information you can share.
Fair Winds.
Donnis Thompson
12 REPLIES 12

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
The microwave in our unit is in a cabinet. Winnebago did an incredibly poor job of installing it; I'm still kind of amazed that it didn't fall out, and I recently completed a re-engineering of the installation. I concur: fasten it twice as well as you think you need to.
CLICK HERE to read and see how I dealt with our microwave/convection oven that had always come loose. I still check it at the beginning of the RV season but things stay tight.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I have fixed several MV's this way.

You have been lucky.
That fuse usually only blows because the tube or the diode goes bad......and the new one blows soon too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you go through the aggravation of replacing the unit, there is a thermal fuse(fusible link) inside, looks like a regular glass fuse but is made of a ceramic type material that is solid. The are cheap and easy to replace. I have fixed several MV's this way.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
The microwave in our unit is in a cabinet. Winnebago did an incredibly poor job of installing it; I'm still kind of amazed that it didn't fall out, and I recently completed a re-engineering of the installation. I concur: fasten it twice as well as you think you need to.

Donnis, I sent you a private message.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
I would certainly get a 1200 watt microwave. 800 watt takes a long time to do it's job.

Might not be able to get a 1200 that fits the "hole".
But 1000 or 1100 is plenty.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I would certainly get a 1200 watt microwave. 800 watt takes a long time to do it's job.

wandering_bark
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I think a microwave will be the best choice now. I do have that metal trim facing around it...the new microwave would be about 30 lbs, so I think this mic/convec that's dead is about that. New one is 19" wide, 15" deep, and 11" tall...should fit. I like the idea of the wood strip as extra protection from popping out.
Again, thanks.
Donnis

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just did this a few months ago. The old unit and the new unit were mw only, no convection.

I took off the facing and unplugged and pulled out the old mw. Put the new one in place and screwed a piece of 1" x 1/2" piece of wood just inside the front edge to act as an additional stop to keep the mw from flying out while in transit. When I put the metal trim facing back on the stop wasn't visible.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
With a microwave only it is not such a big deal. But a microwave/convection would need some method to vent the heat from behind the unit.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
The main difference I found is how its vented. Over the stove are mostly vented in the front while countertop units are on the sides. I put a countertop unit over the stove in my RV and its already out last the original. Just make sure the vents have enough space.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Most over-the-range units also function as a vent to the outside.
You will lose that feature.....and will need to completely close off the outside vent opening.

ALSO.....you likely will have to make some minor modifications in order to mount the new one securely. Make it about twice as secure as you think it needs to be. Having it come loose due to vibrations or in a crash would be really unfortunate.

My opinion: While I realize that an exact replacement (or very close) is going to be 2 to 3X the cost, if you really can afford that extra $150 or so, I suggest that you do it. Likely it will be rated at 1000 watts too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it!