cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance recommendations for Class C

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Citizens (part of Hanover) doubled our collision coverage on our Class C (yes, a little over 100% increase) with having had no claims/accidents/violations. And at almost 3 weeks now since the inquiry, I can get no explanation. They raised the collision to over $1400/yr for just the collision portion of the policy alone. Our other vehicles went down.

So needless to say, I am looking for new coverage and recommendations. What companies have those here had good luck/pricing/service with?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

callans1
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Good Sam. They put me with General RV Ins. I have a 2016 31W Class C. On the months that it is in storage in my garage, I pay under $30 per month (must be 30 day period in storage). Check them out.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
When I called TD to cancel the guy on the phone told me TD was not interested in insuring motorhomes so they didnโ€™t have a good price.

I have the feeling this is the reason behind the 100% increase in premiums for the motorhome coverage when our other vehicles went down. They have no desire to deal with RV's anymore. Or they were going for a money-grab before new legislation kicks in statewide regarding auto insurance and hoped not everyone would notice.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Mercury, excellent coverage, fair price, agent a few miles from home......(snip quote).....I have had ALL my vehicles quoted by other companies, all 6 of them, and Mercury came up as the best value, my home is insured with them as well. I just added a 2019 Wrangler and it bumped it up a little bit.

Thanks. I'll check them out as well.

I have found that having an agent and not an internet man in India sure makes a difference in responses and handling issues.

I used to think the same as well (and have had the same agent for over 2 decades), but after this recent experience I am questioning the value of having the "middle man." My "agent" did absolutely nothing when this insurance doubled. No phone call, no suggestions of "let's look at a different insurance company," nothing... And they did see the increase as they had reduced my coverage in order to save some on the premium (as I had asked them to do if it made $$ sense, before I knew of the increase). And for 3 weeks I got no communication from them regarding why this increased as it did. I had to keep calling them.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mercury, excellent coverage, fair price, agent a few miles from home. I have found that having an agent and not an internet man in India sure makes a difference in responses and handling issues.
I have had ALL my vehicles quoted by other companies, all 6 of them, and Mercury came up as the best value, my home is insured with them as well. I just added a 2019 Wrangler and it bumped it up a little bit.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m in Canada so dont have experience with US companies. I did have an interesting experience after using TD insurance on our small class C for years, and reducing the coverage to fire and theft for the winter months when not camping. Cost of roughly $250 a year. All of a sudden they said I had to keep liability insurance year round, increasing the cost a lot. It happened we bought a used wheelchair minivan with a loading ramp and low floor. TD refused to sell insurance for it until I had it towed to a city more than an hour away so they could figure out its value. It had been insured by Cooperators so I called them, getting an an employee who knew me. She had no problem emailing a pink card insurance certificate in 10 minutes at a reasonable rate. We didnโ€™t want collision insurance on the 6 year old van anyway. Later I got a quote for the motorhome - one third of the TD price for the same coverage. And I could reduce that if I didnโ€™t keep liability coverage in the winter. When I called TD to cancel the guy on the phone told me TD was not interested in insuring motorhomes so they didnโ€™t have a good price.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions to date everyone.

I will check them out.

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
We can shop it for you a The Good Sam Insurance Agency. We use National General, Safeco, Progressive and Foremost. We will make sure you have the correct coverage's at the best pricing.

Keith

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome insurance jumped up by over $400.00 last year. No claims ever. Found Progressive to be less than half of what I was paying and they offered more coverage. Check them out along with others before deciding.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could try AAA,Liability,medical,Comprehensive,Collision,Uninsured Motorist $297
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Progressive. We have collision, comprehensive and liability with them on our 2003 Class C for $407/yr. Never had a claim for the MH but did have one for our car and satisfied with the response.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Foremost Ins. I have a house in a "high fire danger area" and a pontoon boat, with them.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright