Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: So we came home with this.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> So we came home with this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Chucky5150

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see there are 2x4s that span the width of the trailer. How hard with it be to open up the seam of the roof so I could just slide those 2x4s out and replace with some newer boards or even some aluminum tubing?

It just seems like some 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/4 wall tubing on each side of the AC unit will be stronger without adding much weight (1.6lbs per foot)

With that being said, how would you fix it? I have remodeled a house to the point of being able to walk through the exterior wall, so I should be able to do this.

Edit: You would think I could do better than upload full sized images. Here is the Imjur album. Should make it a little easier to view.
https://imgur.com/a/f6b8XB8 (and making it a link gets removed. Hurmph!)

* This post was edited 06/16/19 11:46am by Chucky5150 *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't have much to help you. wanted to wish you good luck though, water intrusion can be nasty to deal with. Please keep us up to date as that setup is friggin awesome!

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is your link. New members cannot post links.

Your photo album

If you want to post photos, use this site. . All you need to do is upload your photo, copy the URL, and paste that URL into your post without making ANY changes. Your picture will then appear and be properly sized for use on our forums.
No need for a "Hurmph!" [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your picture of the roof you can definitively see the roof is sagging from he weight of the AC unit allowing water to pool and possibly leak. You're going to need to unbolt and lift that AC unit off so you can replace the gasket under it. Once the unit is off you'll need to find a way to lift the roof from the inside and keep it up so water runs away from the AC. As you can see a 2x4 laid on it's side is not adequate to hold the weight, it's also really heavy for the application. Your idea of the steel tubing is good, but I would go with something like a 1 x 2 rectangle standing on edge with 3/16 walls. Every time I try to work with 1/4" it just seems too thick for most applications.

You might also try just pushing the roof up from the inside and slide a piece of 1x4 pine tapered at the ends between the aluminum roof and the 2x4 to put a bow in the roof.

Use a new gasket when you replace the AC unit and only tighten it down enough to compress the gasket about 1/2 inch. Do not over tighten and tighten it down until flat. If no leaks wait about 30-60 days then go tighten the four bolts another 1/4 to 1/2 turn each.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> So we came home with this.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS