cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So we came home with this.

Chucky5150
Explorer
Explorer
Hi y'all, I am trying to find some info out about this camper trailer. It's a 1967 Alpine 24 foot. That is about all I know on it. I can't even find something like this on google image search.

That being said it does have a roof leak and the ceiling is taking down. I am about 95ish% sure it is coming from the new AC unit they had put in the roof. Maybe from sagging or just a poor seal. That was a big reason we got a good price on it. It is also the same year as my el camino, and I can't wait to pull up to a camp ground with this combo.

I will be needing some advice on the repairing the ceiling, just looking for some info right now.

If anyone can point me in a direction that would be great.

13 REPLIES 13

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
In your picture of the roof you can definitively see the roof is sagging from he weight of the AC unit allowing water to pool and possibly leak. You're going to need to unbolt and lift that AC unit off so you can replace the gasket under it. Once the unit is off you'll need to find a way to lift the roof from the inside and keep it up so water runs away from the AC. As you can see a 2x4 laid on it's side is not adequate to hold the weight, it's also really heavy for the application. Your idea of the steel tubing is good, but I would go with something like a 1 x 2 rectangle standing on edge with 3/16 walls. Every time I try to work with 1/4" it just seems too thick for most applications.

You might also try just pushing the roof up from the inside and slide a piece of 1x4 pine tapered at the ends between the aluminum roof and the 2x4 to put a bow in the roof.

Use a new gasket when you replace the AC unit and only tighten it down enough to compress the gasket about 1/2 inch. Do not over tighten and tighten it down until flat. If no leaks wait about 30-60 days then go tighten the four bolts another 1/4 to 1/2 turn each.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is your link. New members cannot post links.

Your photo album

If you want to post photos, use this site. . All you need to do is upload your photo, copy the URL, and paste that URL into your post without making ANY changes. Your picture will then appear and be properly sized for use on our forums.
No need for a "Hurmph!" :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
don't have much to help you. wanted to wish you good luck though, water intrusion can be nasty to deal with. Please keep us up to date as that setup is friggin awesome!
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Chucky5150
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see there are 2x4s that span the width of the trailer. How hard with it be to open up the seam of the roof so I could just slide those 2x4s out and replace with some newer boards or even some aluminum tubing?

It just seems like some 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/4 wall tubing on each side of the AC unit will be stronger without adding much weight (1.6lbs per foot)

With that being said, how would you fix it? I have remodeled a house to the point of being able to walk through the exterior wall, so I should be able to do this.

Edit: You would think I could do better than upload full sized images. Here is the Imjur album. Should make it a little easier to view.
https://imgur.com/a/f6b8XB8 (and making it a link gets removed. Hurmph!)

Chucky5150
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Beautiful! Don’t change anything....except that ugly door.

A real ‘67 396 Chevelle?
Yes, it's a real 396 big block. I rebuild it a few years ago. My guess with the intake, carb, cam, headers that it is about 50hp over stock. It also has the Turbo 400, so I feel very confident on the drive train side of pulling this trailer.

toedtoes wrote:
It looks similar to a kencraft. Is it fiberglass? If so, look them up.
Not fiberglass. It is all aluminum.

Vintage465 wrote:
It wasn't until the '70's that most trailer manufacturers started reinforcing the roof for A/C units. It might be kind of difficult to sneak a piece of 3/4" plywood under the metal roof to span the opening to the next joist/rafter.

Lucky for me the inside ceiling has already been taken down. I'll try to post some pictures here of what I have to work with.

MitchF150 wrote:
Well, that trailer was probably never designed for a roof AC unit, so adding one and not reinforcing the roof structure could cause your issues.

Take the AC unit off or rebuild the entire roof to hold it.. Those AC unit's are heavy and need the proper install to not leak and to support itself.

Love the 67 El Camino and the trailer with the updated interior.

Good luck!

Mitch

The past owners said there used to be a window unit installed. Being down in Louisiana the AC is a must have.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, that trailer was probably never designed for a roof AC unit, so adding one and not reinforcing the roof structure could cause your issues.

Take the AC unit off or rebuild the entire roof to hold it.. Those AC unit's are heavy and need the proper install to not leak and to support itself.

Love the 67 El Camino and the trailer with the updated interior.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
It wasn't until the '70's that most trailer manufacturers started reinforcing the roof for A/C units. It might be kind of difficult to sneak a piece of 3/4" plywood under the metal roof to span the opening to the next joist/rafter.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks similar to a kencraft. Is it fiberglass? If so, look them up.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there is a company I've seen on tv the restores trailers like that, they are in Bend Oregon

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
This might be helpful:
https://tincantourists.com/identifying-an-unknown-trailer/
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no advice but to say it looks fantastic especially combined with the El Camino.
Safe travels.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. That's a neat looking rig.

Did you check on TINCANTOURISTS.COM? Sorry, for some reason I can't make a link.
It's a site for vintage RV's. Maybe they have some helpful info for your TT.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful! Don’t change anything....except that ugly door.

A real ‘67 396 Chevelle?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad