cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge on propane while driving

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have read opposing opinions on this. Should I just run the generator to power the refer or is it okay to utilize it on propane while driving down the road?
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
34 REPLIES 34

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
This is pretty simple. I have never been to a gas station that did not have warnings signs posted about open flames, cell phones, containers and such. Even though the flame in the fridge is behind an outer panel and inner sheet metal panel, this flame still takes in oxygen to burn therefore is considered open to the outside.

I have seen a lot of replies that state it does not matter, or there is no issue etc... This is one reason that I stay away from any type of RV when I am at a gas station even when I am towing our RV. I agree it would not be a common happening, but accidents can and do happen.

Here is the law that is similar in most states:

"Any person who smokes or uses an open flame within 20 feet of a pump used to fuel motor vehicles or a fueling tanker being used to deliver gasoline to a gasoline station is guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor if smoking or the use of an open flame is prohibited by a sign at the pump. Any person who causes a fire or explosion as a result of a violation of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
When I took the AEON insurance Safe Driving course the insurance company naturally said "TURN OFF PROPANE AT THE TANK".. I do understand why.

Iโ€™ve learned to take what insurance companies have to say with a LOT more than a grain of salt.

A couple of years back my home insurance company came out to do an โ€˜assessmentโ€™ because my coverage was so different from a standard policy.

When we got to my aircraft hangar and fuel tank the โ€˜expertโ€™ was satisfied with the tank, but was really shocked to find out the plane inside the hangar was full of AvGas!!!

He was so adamant this was totally unsafe he called the local FDโ€™s fire prevention officer who was onsite in minutes flat. The fire cop was also freaking out.

When I asked them both if they drained the gas out of their cars before they put them in their garages each night they got a little calmer.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
One of the main reasons for propane off or not permitted in some tunnels is that propane is heavier than air, and if the tunnel is U shaped, lower in the middle than at the portals (as when going under a city or body of water, for instance), propane that leaks out or otherwise escapes tends to collect in the tunnel and stay there. Tunnels through mountains, which are usually constructed to be higher in the middle than at the portals, often don't have the same restrictions since propane naturally tends to flow out of the tunnel. The main reason for constructing the tunnel with the portals lower than the middle if that is possible, of course, is so that water won't collect in it.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Things burn. Whenever you have millions of anything a few of them will burn. I travel with mine on, even when fueling.
I always thought the reason in tunnels and on ferries is your trapped; so just for extra precaution turn the valve off. Would they let you go through the tunnel with your generator running with a few gallons reserve in your (or my) cheap plastic gerri can, er small bomb? Maybe but I hope not.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with it on and dont turn it off at gas stations either

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
travel with it on....

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
hotjag1 wrote:

I totally agree with you ScottG. I think quite a few people don't know that the tanks will shut the flow of propane off if the lines are ruptured.

Supposed to.

In a violent crash they do not always shut off. Or were defective. Personal experience. Seen it twice in a 32 year career in fire.

How many RVs passed through my area in a 32 year career? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? I cannot even WAG. So a line rupture and fire is quite rare, but possible.

The risk is extremely low, but not zero. Having said that, I usually travel with mine on. I also occasionally practice an emergency total shutdown of my rig including battery disconnect and tank shutoff -- just to see how fast I can do it.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We run it. We just stop and turn it off before going near fuel pumps and leave before turning it back on.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
old guy wrote:
I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day

I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.

I totally agree with you ScottG. I think quite a few people don't know that the tanks will shut the flow of propane off if the lines are ruptured.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
path1 wrote:
Very seldom anymore. $25.00 wireless temperature gauge tossed on dash. I can keep eye on temps. I can go all day driving in most weather without it running. Guess depends on fridg/freezer.

Why? To save the $0.25 of propane or just like watching fridge temps?

So far we've got 1 no, 1 I'm not sure what, contradicted himself. 1 rarely. Who cares picks side of the fence and the rest yes.
For the no, maybe and confused, please
tell the rest of the class what makes it more dangerous than running when stationary? Or do you just believe propane is out to get you?

Actually the truth is my wife can see the temps for herself. Seems whenever we would stop, as soon as we get going again she would ask if I checked what the temps were, because she forgot to look Got tired of it.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
path1 wrote:
Very seldom anymore. $25.00 wireless temperature gauge tossed on dash. I can keep eye on temps. I can go all day driving in most weather without it running. Guess depends on fridg/freezer.

Why? To save the $0.25 of propane or just like watching fridge temps?

So far we've got 1 no, 1 I'm not sure what, contradicted himself. 1 rarely. Who cares picks side of the fence and the rest yes.
For the no, maybe and confused, please tell the rest of the class what makes it more dangerous than running when stationary? Or do you just believe propane is out to get you?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
old guy wrote:
I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day

I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.

Great post Scott. I was going to type something like you did but you beat me to it and did a much better job of explaining things.

The only thing I can add is the reason they want the propane turned off on ferry's is because propane it heavier than air and if an RV has a leak that propane will sink to the lowest part of the boat and if it finds an ignition source it will go boom. As you said, this has nothing to do with the propane on going down the road.

OP, our hobby involves driving down the road. Over 30 thousand people die in our roads each and every year. 30 THOUSAND! A fridge fire is the last thing you need to worry about with what we do.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been running on propane for 30 years with no problems , but, I also stay at Wal-Marts with out asking permission and I do not have a TPMS on my tires . WOW how did I last so long .

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We run ours. We were on the road Friday for over 9 hours so yes we keep propane on.
I will say have been thinking about getting an inverter & wiring to my transfer switch I installed but don't use anymore.