cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cleaning before eternabond

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Im going to eternabond my front and rear seams between the caps and roof.What works best to clean the cap and roof before applying the eternabond?
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.
8 REPLIES 8

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
Most videos I've seen applying Eternabond show using acetone. I have seen a few use windex also.

Eternabond makes a cleaner also if your wanting what they recommend. The acetone will be significantly cheaper and has been used for years without reports of any problems.

This as we have no idea what material is on your roof. Same with those that say they use XYZ on their roof material.

Contact your units roof material mfg or the trailer mfg and ask for their recommendations on what to use or not to use.
Most roof materials are compatible with Eternabond cleaners.
And follow their instructions.
And finish the job like the pros with a sealant around the Eternabond edges.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
Most videos I've seen applying Eternabond show using acetone. I have seen a few use windex also.

Eternabond makes a cleaner also if your wanting what they recommend. The acetone will be significantly cheaper and has been used for years without reports of any problems.

We used Eternabond's recommended cleaner in the link in this post. It worked well. Our thought was that using the manufacturer's recommended cleaner would be best for adhesion. So far, so good, 5 years later.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
The eternabond I bought said to use mineral spirits to clean the area. I have used rubbing alcohol with good success. It was I had in stock.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Acetone and Lacquer Thinner. They both work well.
Use a roller to apply the Eternabond. I like the steel roller, some people like the wooden roller.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The instructions that came with mine stated to use either Lacquer thinner or Gasoline.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Brake Kleen. It removes the dirt, dries quickly and leaves no residue.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use something "Hot" something that evaporates fast I like to use Acetone it is what I have always used with out any problems and have had no failures when I did the very same seams.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C