cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries not charging {Resolved}

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1999 National Tradewinds with a Heart Freedom 20D inverter which doesn't charge the house batteries. It has power to it but does not seem to be powered up. I'm wondering if there is a fuse inside on the input side that might be blown. Ideas? Thanks Arnold

Thanks for all the help on my problem and found my inverter was kaput. Since parts are no longer available for one that old, I bought a new Xantrex and controller. Will have it installed by local tech. As you all know, a very expensive fix, but necessary.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime
11 REPLIES 11

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have verified the inverter has no output and will tomorrow take it apart and determine that the pins that hold the boards together are in place. Saw that on youtube. Checked PPL on new Xantrex units and they are on sale until the 21st. One has a single output 100 watt and the other has a dual output 100 watt. Not sure which would be the one to get. Thoughts? Also the remote they show looks exaxtly like the one I have but "Horsedoc" says I need a new remote and new wire to it. I see running the wire as a definite problem. Open to suggestions. Thanks for all your help.. Will keep you posted as to the results.w
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Horsedoc wrote:
Not worried about semantics. Likely there is a reset button on the "device".

No, there is no reset button. The OLD Heart Freedom series, failure of the charge board module was common. Amazing it has lasted 20 years. You can replace the charge board, but I doubt anybody has a replacement part on the old Heart Inverter. After 20 years, it would be much better to replace the Inverter/Charger. BUT, that means replacing the Inverter/Charger AND the remote panel and running a new communication wire from the Inverter to the remote. The original remote control cable is not compatible with the new Xantrex Inverters. Xantrex is the company formed 15 years ago with the merger of Heart and Trace. On the OLD Heart Freedom series, they also had a problem internally with the module boards(there are 3) pin connections that connect the boards together. Hopefully this is his problem. You remove the Heart from the RV and remove the outer case and look at the small wire ties that hold the 3 module boards securely. You push the module board connections together and install new strong small wire ties to make the module boards stay connected. Then connect 120 power and battery and see if the charge system powers up. Doug

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not worried about semantics. Likely there is a reset button on the "device".
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
ArchHoagland wrote:
Well.....I was kinda right. HIS inverter doesn't charge batteries.

You are correct, HIS doesn't charge the batteries. But, it's supposed to, THAT is the reason for his post. :B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Well.....I was kinda right. HIS inverter doesn't charge batteries.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
A "Pass through" is any 120 VAC outlet that can be powered by the inverter (i.e. you have 120 VAC even without shore power or generator).

Galley, microwave and TV are common choices.

The "Pass through" is when there is an external source of 120 VAC (shore power or generator) the inverter does not "invert" which takes power from the batteries, Instead, it just "passes through" that 120 VAC and also automatically start charging the batteries.

Reading your inverter/charger's owners manual will help.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
What you should do is put your meter on the output of the converter right on the screw terminals. Should show 13.6. If you then put the meter onto your battery terminals and it is less than that while you are connected to power, it's very likely that either the positive or the negative feed to the battery has a loose connection. I was plugged in for three days and my batteries went dead. I found the loose connection on the negative main wire feed to the batteries on the terminal strip at the converter. A quick check is to locate those two heavy wires, and wiggle them while someone looks at your lights. If they suddenly go bright, you have found the bad connection.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Heart-Interface-20d-381532.html

download the manuals if you do not have and follow step by step to setup. Post back with results

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the inverter is turned on, the light on the panel blinks. One you tube video I checked indicated it was in "Service watts" mode. I reset as per instructions and light still blinks. Sorry, I don't know what Pass through outlets you are referring to.
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, that model is an INVERTER/CHARGER, so it should charge the batteries when it receives a source of 120 VAC from shore power or generator.

Does the "pass through" feature work (do outlets powered by the inverter work when the inverter is turned off? This would confirm that 120 VAC is getting to the inverter/charger.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Inverters don't charge batteries. They discharge them.

Converters charge batteries.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes