cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hose question........

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
So, we took the plunge and bought a used trailer. It has no freshwater or sewer hoses. We expect to camp in parks with full connections. So how long should each of the hoses be?

The trailer has a black tank flush port. Do I need to bring a hose to use that? Or does the park have one by the campsite or dump station?
20 REPLIES 20

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have 2x25 plus 2x10.
The tens are sufficient for 90% of the hookups. Occasionally use a 25 when the hose bib is further away. Used all 4 just once in Colorado when one pedestal was shared by two back-to-back sites and was far away. Also, many public campgrounds only have a few water faucets scattered around the campground. It's nice to be able to refill your tank by stretching hose instead of moving the rig to the faucet.

Even in a site with city water we fill the tank. Too many times the park shut down the water system for maintenance half a day, and one time overnight. We were glad we took the time to fill the fresh tank.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I generally need between 20'-35' of hose at the RV parks that I visit. I carry a 25' Zero G hose and that's my primary. I carry a 15' hose from RVWaterFilterStore.com. And I carry a 25' cheap Camco hose from Walmart.

It's a hodge-podge but mirrors my recommendation- buy what you need as you need it. Start with the 25' Zero G hose and then buy another if you need it.

Zero G hose
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea I actually have 250' of that flat hose but have only used it a couple times each in North Pines and Furnace Creek. I only carry when needed.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. I carry 100' of drinking water hose. Maybe more. Once two other campers and I combined hoses to refill fresh water tanks in a state park. I think we had around 300' of hose out that day. But so much better than moving the rig!

Carry a 25' electric cord, 30amp

2 10' sewer hoses, so max 20'.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 50' hose, cut it into a 15' and a 35'. That gives me 3 options for water: 15', 35' or 50'; have never needed more than that.

Got 20' of sewer hose (2-10' sections); usually 10' is enough.

I use an old green 10' hose for flush.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Because of my experiences I have a 50 foot and two 25 foot fresh water hoses, two 15 foot black water dump hoses and one 25 foot hose for the black water flusher.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Water Right 400 Series Polyurethane Slim & Light Drinking Water Safe Garden Hose, 25-Foot x 7/16-Inch, Brass Fittings, USA Made

Not the cheapest, but will not kink -- excellent drinking water hose ... Found it on Amazon at the recommendation of our Mod ... Different colors and different lengths ...

I'd just use a regular garder hose for the waste flush ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The black water hoses some come with the bayonet end in order to hook up several lenghts and an elbow to conect by screwing on to the parks sewer lines, on some older parks all they provide is a staight pipe down and you need to insert the hose at least 2' feet or more in order to prevent the end to "pop" out when you open the valve, I use the blue hoses and have never had a problem, I also have a device looks like a box that straddles the hose and I fill it with water at the campsite when done I use that water to either rince the hoses or the dump site, and some parks requiere you to use a cone shapped dougnut to seal the connection.

Hope it helps a little, we pick a town or area and if we like it we stay a few days or a month, if it is not to ower liking we move on.

navegator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though many use the fresh water hose to flush. I do not recommend it
WHite or clear = Fresh
Green - Flush
Black = Well you know what black water is
Gray. Likewise.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
Do a search on outfitting a newly purchased rv

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
we expect to camp in parks with full connections.

Any thought to a water pressure regulator?

Good insurance, but definitely not guaranteed if you leave water spikot on all the time. Personally myself I dont and just fill tanks when I need to.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very rare to need more than 25' fresh water hose or more than 20' sewer hose.
Worst case pick up what you need at the camp store. Carrying tons of extra stuff just in case will bury you in junk.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry one 10' water hose (spigot to water filter) and two 25' water hoses (to reach the trailer). I carry one 15' sewer hose. If that is not enough, I break camp when needed and go dump.

For the tank flush, my TT has a backflow preventer built in. I bought a 6' water hose and two more backflow preventers. I put one backflow preventer on each end of the 6' water hose. I feel safe using the 6' water hose attached to my drinking water hose as a flush. Three backflow preventers would all have to fail to contaminate it. (Those who demand a dedicated hose are still hooking their dedicated hose to the spigot where they get fresh water.)

I use a water filter whenever we fill the fresh water tank or use shore water because at one campsite in Florida (in 2009), I got sand in my water system and never got it out again (sold that RV in 2017).
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
For fresh water from site spigot to camper we carry a 10ft. and 20ft. Use the 10ft. most of the time. For sewer hoses we carry a 10ft. and a 20ft. with a coupler to combine the 2 together if need be. Again, we use the 10 ft. mostly. Also, keep in mind that these hoses particularly sewer hoses can take up a lot of storage space.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright