Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Triple digit heat! Generator won't run
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Triple digit heat! Generator won't run

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
viajante

Plumas Lake, CA, (near Yuba City) USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

First, if you have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) which I suspect you do have, no damage was done by plugging in assuming the ATS was functional.It's job is to only allow ONE source of 120 VAC to the main breaker panel-- either shore or generator.

The generator has two breakers on the generator itself. Turn them off an back ON.

If generator is running (i.e. not out of fuel, etc) exactly what 120 VAC things are working and not working?

The only thing that has trouble running is the a/c. With some fiddling I can get the a/c to run. However, even with the a/c turned off, the generator will start and run for about 10 minutes then it shuts down.

Dave & Brenda
Shadow (Sheltie), and Zoe (Shih Tzu)Faithful Companions
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35L

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is unrelated to it being plugged in. It just happens to have a problem at the same time.

Did you check the oil level in the generator? It’s getting an automatic shut down. So, something is causing that.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much fuel is in the MH? How long has it been since you last used the gen ?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assumed that you checked the obvious which is the fuel level in the main fuel tank as well as the OIL level in the generator. This may also be an issue with a crack in the rubber incoming fuel line to the generator, which is allowing air to reach the carb instead of just fuel.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

viajante wrote:

.... Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. ....

Someone plugged in your camper without you knowing about it? Is this in a campground, and maybe someone thought the shore power plug fell out?

Very odd.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your genset throwing a code - if so you need to look up what the value means in the manual - you can find that online.

You mentioned triple digit heat - is it possible your genset is in auto shutdown for overheating? The code would tell. Ours used to do that in temps near 100 without air moving over it.

Does anything else work that requires gen or shore power? (Fridge not on LP as example)

And as others have said, there are breakers on your genset itself. Reset those. Also reset the AC breakers on your main panel. This would not explain it shutting down however. Likely causes for that are low oil, fuel issue or overheat. I would bet on the latter since you mentioned the heat already.

And who/how would your RV get plugged back in without you knowing?? Can't say I would ever arbitrarily plug someone's RV back in. Especially with the genset running. Sounds weird or details are missing.

viajante

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect that the problem was triple digit heat. I went out this morning and the generator started right up. I turned on the a/c and let everything run for a while, with no problems.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, which I did pay heed to and tried.

viajante

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

viajante wrote:

.... Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. ....

Someone plugged in your camper without you knowing about it? Is this in a campground, and maybe someone thought the shore power plug fell out?

Very odd.

This was at our home. I have no idea why someone would do this.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one bit of advice

don't wait for the temp to hit 100,
start the genny and then the A/C before it goes over 80
let the genny and A/C ease into the heavy work load by starting early
it was triple digits here Sun, Mon,Tues and 90's Wed
in triple digits, i start early, and i set the 'stat' so the a/c does NOT cycle
it just stays on cold continuously

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

viajante wrote:

I suspect that the problem was triple digit heat. I went out this morning and the generator started right up. I turned on the a/c and let everything run for a while, with no problems.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, which I did pay heed to and tried.

Good news and thanks for letting us know.

I always found it ironic - and irritating - that when we needed the genset and AC the most was when it the hottest and would shut down due to overheat. I fixed the problem on that RV and sold it but man what a pain. Nothing like being stuck on the beltway in 100 deg heat with no AC.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Triple digit heat! Generator won't run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS