cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Triple digit heat! Generator won't run

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
We have a real issue! Triple digits, ready to leave for our trip in one day and the generator won't run the a/c.

We had unplugged shore power to cool the 2008 Itasca down for some pre-trip honeydo's, Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. Now, I've turned everything off and left the mh sit for 20 minutes. Returned and generator turned over and all seemed to be working till I added the a/c. It would not run it!

Anyone have any ideas what may have occurred, or better yet what do I need to do to fix this???
27 REPLIES 27

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a switch inside our motorhome on the dash that allows us to start the generator from inside. We don't have to go outside and unplug from electric - we can run generator while plugged in and there is some kind of automatic switch that allows that. You should have that too.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.

Really appreciate you knowledge and willingness to help. As someone that is not nearly as proficient as you, your abbreviations sometimes leaving me scratching my head. My problem not yours I know, but if you could maybe spell it out for those of us mechanically challenged it would be much appreciated. Again thanks for all your help over the years.

Very polite way of saying what needed saying.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
I suspect that the problem was triple digit heat. I went out this morning and the generator started right up. I turned on the a/c and let everything run for a while, with no problems.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, which I did pay heed to and tried.

I doubt it was the heat. The generators in all my Motorhomes for the last 15 years run more when the temp is over 90 than below. When traveling I usually start the generator when the outside temp is above 90 and leave it running with the A/C on until we arrive at our destination. I have run the generators in 115+ heat many times and never had any issues.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.

Really appreciate you knowledge and willingness to help. As someone that is not nearly as proficient as you, your abbreviations sometimes leaving me scratching my head. My problem not yours I know, but if you could maybe spell it out for those of us mechanically challenged it would be much appreciated. Again thanks for all your help over the years.

CB= Circuit Breaker

ATS= Automatic Transfer Switch
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

i disagree with statement, and this has been discussed many times

not designed to switch heavy running loads, like the A/C

not designed to be a 'fail over'

it is simply an automatic choice device

which ever one of the (2) power choices you choose , gets selected
but only one is supposed to be 'HOT', not generator running and plugged in to shore power

We've plugged into shore power before shutting down the genset plenty of times. I mean it's not like you can parallel these two sources.
Also the transfer switch relay contactors use the NC contacts for the shore power, so when genset is running the contacts close and essence have priority, so plugging in to shore, should have no effect.
One thing we always do though, is to shut off the ac, so that they don't ride down with the genset and even though, our unit shuts down pretty abruptly. Considering that there is a control sw. beside the bed as well, this thought of mine really doesn't have much merit, either.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

MrWizard
it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

i disagree with statement, and this has been discussed many times

not designed to switch heavy running loads, like the A/C

not designed to be a 'fail over'

it is simply an automatic choice device

which ever one of the (2) power choices you choose , gets selected
but only one is supposed to be 'HOT', not generator running and plugged in to shore power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got if fixed. Unless someone did some kind of crazy hack-job on your electrical work it should be no problem to have the shore cord plugged in with the generator running. The transfer switch keeps it isolated.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
viajante wrote:
I suspect that the problem was triple digit heat. I went out this morning and the generator started right up. I turned on the a/c and let everything run for a while, with no problems.

Good news and thanks for letting us know.

I always found it ironic - and irritating - that when we needed the genset and AC the most was when it the hottest and would shut down due to overheat. I fixed the problem on that RV and sold it but man what a pain. Nothing like being stuck on the beltway in 100 deg heat with no AC.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MrWizard
one bit of advice

don't wait for the temp to hit 100,
start the genny and then the A/C before it goes over 80
let the genny and A/C ease into the heavy work load by starting early
it was triple digits here Sun, Mon,Tues and 90's Wed
in triple digits, i start early, and i set the 'stat' so the a/c does NOT cycle
it just stays on cold continuously
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
viajante wrote:
.... Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. ....

Someone plugged in your camper without you knowing about it? Is this in a campground, and maybe someone thought the shore power plug fell out?

Very odd.

This was at our home. I have no idea why someone would do this.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is your genset throwing a code - if so you need to look up what the value means in the manual - you can find that online.

You mentioned triple digit heat - is it possible your genset is in auto shutdown for overheating? The code would tell. Ours used to do that in temps near 100 without air moving over it.

Does anything else work that requires gen or shore power? (Fridge not on LP as example)

And as others have said, there are breakers on your genset itself. Reset those. Also reset the AC breakers on your main panel. This would not explain it shutting down however. Likely causes for that are low oil, fuel issue or overheat. I would bet on the latter since you mentioned the heat already.

And who/how would your RV get plugged back in without you knowing?? Can't say I would ever arbitrarily plug someone's RV back in. Especially with the genset running. Sounds weird or details are missing.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
.... Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. ....

Someone plugged in your camper without you knowing about it? Is this in a campground, and maybe someone thought the shore power plug fell out?

Very odd.