cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing older mirror

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the driver-side mirror head on our 1997 Safari Sahara. (The original mirror head got clipped by a truck, which did not stop.) The 22-year-old mirror was made by Velvac and is what they called their Superstar mirror head. It’s 13 inches by 8+ inches, rectangular with rounded corners, not tapered at the top like newer models. The mirror head is out of production and I cannot find one in any of the major salvage yards. I therefore have in mind replacing both mirror heads and keeping the original bus mounting arms.

Speaking with Velvac technical assistance has been an exercise in frustration. All they seem to want to do is sell me two complete new mirrors. Never mind that the mounting holes in the new bases do not match the holes in the coach facing.

Has anyone replaced a 1990’s-era mirror head with a newer head on the original mirror arm? What problems did you need to overcome?

My mirror has 5 wires in the 6-wire plug, which looks the same as the newer plugs on 5-wire mirror heads. Can anyone tell me if the wiring pattern is the same, or will I have to puzzle out which new wire mates with which old wire?

Thanks!
Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540
7 REPLIES 7

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get the mirror part number off the bottom of the housing? I found an exact match to that number on Amazon for under $200.00. Velvac wanted $281.00 for it.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
Try Northwest RV supply in Eugene, OR. 1 866 678 7467. They used to buy all of the surplus parts from Monaco. I have bought many parts from them that no one else had, specific to Safari/Monaco.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no idea what to tell you, but have straightened the head and took it to a glass company?

kvh4636
Explorer
Explorer
Also got clipped by semi. found replacement on Amazon for less than $300.00

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve bought several pairs off of EBay...very reasonable.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned . . . I've been trying salvage yards all around the country for a couple of months. No luck.

I hope to be able to mate a pair of new heads to the arms I have.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several RV salvage yards around the country. I would contact one of them and see if you can get a replacement off of a similar RV. Just do a search of RV salvage yards and find one close, altho the shipping will not be that bad if you can't find one close.