cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Montana Hwy 73 Info

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Will be in SW Montana 2nd week of July, wondering aboot any info on sites along MT Hwy 73 (Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway). Looking for dispersed sites along or near the hwy that our 34ft trailer can access fairly easily. We do a lot of dispersed and will be coming from sites in the Sawtooths. Found a few spots with Google Maps, and may look into the many NF cg's along the hwy. But prefer a boonie site first!! Any info and spots (secret of course!) that you other boondockers have used and want to give up appreciated!!! PM if you don't want to divulge too much to the unwashed masses!!!! :B
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
4 REPLIES 4

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
This spot is not on MT73, but very close to Wise River on MT43. It's BLM East Bank Campground. A freebie when I was there for my 3rd time last year. Right on the beautiful Big Hole River. Across the river is boondocking, accessible by a turning off MT43 just before you get to the bridge before the campground. Never boondocked there, but usually see rigs there.

The Google map on this link will show East Bank CG on the W side of the river, but it's at my coordinates.
here.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome! We drove through every one, but for some reason I don't remember that one. Most would fit any sized rig, but there was one that I reported on specifically on Campendium that wouldn't. Little Joe was not it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Renee!! I have used all those, found quite a few sites on Goog Maps, and a couple of listings on FreeCampsites. Always looking for actual, local info before driving off into the wilderness!!!!

Did you happen to look at Little Joe CG by chance?? Small (3/4 sites) and 28ft length stated. We've fit into "stated" 22ft sites in the past, but not on a reg basis!!

Again, thanks for replying, and for past info you've provided!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last September and loved it so much we will be going back this fall again. We stayed in one of the campgrounds, but at that time of year, we were the only ones. Had it all to ourselves. We drove the entire byway and saw many boondockers along the way with much larger units. I could not tell you exactly where other than they were south of Boulder Creek CG. Using Google Maps, type in Boulder Creek Campground and Picnic Area, Wise River, MT, using satellite view, follow along the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway and you'll see some boondockers to the west of the highway and other roads much further down to the east.

Check out Campendium as well as this has a lot of info on various campgrounds. Again type in Wise River, MT and the campgrounds in that area will come up. No free sites appeared on this site though, but there are boondocking sites that may like FreeCampsites.net.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton