cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnetic Cam Locks???

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried replacing their CH751 on their storage compartments with magnetic cam locks?

https://shoprvlocks.com/product/magnetic_lock/

They claim to be pick proof, but that isn't why they interest me. The CH751 locks on my storage compartment are a PITA to use. The key doesn't slide in as easy as it should and the locks are very stiff. These look like they will hold up well, the weather (ice and snow) and dirt should not be able to jam them....at least that's what they claim.

I fully recognize that the storage compartments can be easily broken into with a pry-bar or larger screw driver, but they are better than nothing. At least with these locks, I'll at least be able to open them up without fighting with the CH751 key.
18 REPLIES 18

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Graphite also attracts dirt.

Living in the frozen north, packing with Vaseline prevents the locks from freezing.

Edd505 wrote:
Never use oil it attracts dirt! Graphite Powdered Lock lubricant available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, & most auto parts stores. Use the right product for the job, only a few dollars.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I replaced all 6 cam locks with keyed alike for $21. I wouldn't want that odd magnetic key in my pocket. I had a cellphone that had a magnet in the speaker that attracted metal particles in my pocket from my metal working.

Don't get it near your debit/credit cards either, kills the strip on the back.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Spray the existing locks with penetrating oil. Wipe them clean, then "fill" them with Vaseline.

Never use oil it attracts dirt! Graphite Powdered Lock lubricant available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, & most auto parts stores. Use the right product for the job, only a few dollars.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I sometimes have problems with my 751 locks, but it's caused by the door frame getting bent from dragging things in and out of storage. Open the compartment door and remove the key from the lock. Then reinsert the key with the door open and see if the lock is free. In my case the locks are free when the door is open so know it's caused by the bent frame putting too much pressure on the cam arms. I just grab a pliers and bend the frame back flat. This takes pressure off the cam arm and frees up the lock.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing I did to mine was replace the locks. Local cabinet hardware outfit had everything I needed, keyed alike, $7 ea. for better quality!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all 4 of these CH751 locks with these. They are very well made and I am very satisfied with them.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you ever loose your key for those cheap locks all you need to open them is a flat blade screwdriver. Don't place too much trust in those cheap locks.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I use Break-Free CLP. It is a Military spec Gun Cleaning Formula that is a Lubricant, Solvent and Protectant All-in-One. It works great in lubricating locks. I use it on all my outdoor locks, including my vehicles and trailer doors. Just two or three drops is all that is needed for most locks. I've also used it to deice neighbors car door locks as well as my own since it has a low freezing point. I just put a drop on the outside of the lock and let it penetrate. Then I put a couple drops on the key and insert it turning it back and forth a couple. The smaller plastic bottles come with an applicator tube that can be inserted into the tip of the bottle for precision oiling and inserting into a lock.

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I replaced all 6 cam locks with keyed alike for $21. I wouldn't want that odd magnetic key in my pocket. I had a cellphone that had a magnet in the speaker that attracted metal particles in my pocket from my metal working.

Excellent points.....hadn't thought about having that odd shaped key in my pocket, nor did I consider what the magnet may attract.

I did not know that I could change the 751 locks to match the door lock. I think that's what I'm going to do....Thanks for the tip IAMICHABOD!

This is a classic example of why I love this web site!

Thanks all!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BeerBrewer wrote:
Has anyone tried replacing their CH751 on their storage compartments with magnetic cam locks?

https://shoprvlocks.com/product/magnetic_lock/

They claim to be pick proof, but that isn't why they interest me. The CH751 locks on my storage compartment are a PITA to use. The key doesn't slide in as easy as it should and the locks are very stiff. These look like they will hold up well, the weather (ice and snow) and dirt should not be able to jam them....at least that's what they claim.

I fully recognize that the storage compartments can be easily broken into with a pry-bar or larger screw driver, but they are better than nothing. At least with these locks, I'll at least be able to open them up without fighting with the CH751 key.
Looking at them, I can agree that the won't get water or dirt in them - there is no hole for it to go through. Pick proof though? Seems like anyone with a magnet could open them. Maybe before spending 23 bucks apiece for them, you could try keeping the current locks lubricate by using powdered graphite to lubricate the lock cylinder.

If you buy them, post back about what you think of them. Good luck
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have replaced all of mine with These ,they can all be keyed alike so I only have one key for everything. Just pick the size and how many you want.

I also like that they have a cover on the key slot that moves when you insert the key,thus keeping all grime out.They have worked flawlessly for more than 7 years.

I just finished the same project. I had 4 keys for my TT. Now I have 1. All the locks are keyed alike. No CH751.
I have the take off locks if anyone is interested. (PM me) Main door keyed for G354. Slam latch locks, qty 2, keyed for G390 (they all are)

Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are no pins in the cam locks. They have discs. penetrating oil followed by a blow out using compressed air. A shot of silicone is okay but TriFlo is better. It is silicone with teflon in it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have replaced all of mine with These ,they can all be keyed alike so I only have one key for everything. Just pick the size and how many you want.

I also like that they have a cover on the key slot that moves when you insert the key,thus keeping all grime out.They have worked flawlessly for more than 7 years.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C