Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solo Women Travellers

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This is an unusual tack from this manufacturer
New Pathfinder 4WD motorhome offers super-single option
With statistics showing that 22 per cent of their buyers are solo female travellers, Clontarf, Queensland-based off-road motorhome manufacturer Explorer is offering a super-single bed as an alternative sleeping option on its latest Pathfinder 4WD model that made its debut at the recent Queensland Caravan Supershow.

Based on the buyerโ€™s choice of a Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger cab chassis, the Pathfinder is Explorerโ€™s first motorhome with a transverse front bed. The 900mm x 1000mm super-single, or alternative 1500mm x 1000mm double bed are located in the motorhomeโ€™s Luton peak, with those choosing the single bed option gaining additional storage space in the nose of the peakExplorerโ€™s joint owner John Burke, said the number of single female travellers had grown in recent years, with four wheel drive motorhomes being their preferred mode of transport.

โ€œEven if they never use the 4WD to its full capability, women like the security of knowing that it will get them out of a sticky situation in a wet National Park,โ€ .While Burke said that few of Explorer's solo female customers took advantage of their vehicleโ€™s 4WD to access remote areas, they had the confidence that their motorhome was built to take them there, if they wanted to.

โ€œOur motorhomes have conquered all the major Outback Highways, the Canning Stock Route and even the Telegraph Track to Cape York,โ€ he said. โ€œCustomers may not plan such adventurous travels, but they like to know they vehicle can.โ€

8 REPLIES 8

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't there a cult of desert dwelling single women in Lazy Daze class Cs?

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
Not a bad idea. I have been a solo female full timer for 15 years and have heard many stories of how sales people don't take single women seriously. And although the majority of buyers are couples, women are next. I have seen many more single women living in their RV than single men. As far as advertising a smaller bed, well that's hilarious...I just took that bed space, removed the large "camping mat" and put in a twin size bed and thus had more room. Not rocket science.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Doesn't the Majestic 19 foot fit this style? It sits on only four wheels, not six and the idea seems much the same. I actually met a single woman that truly enjoyed her Majestic 19, was definitely on her own, and did caravans with a single group quite often.

Seems very much a growing trend here, whether a Motorhome or a towed RV

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't the Majestic 19 foot fit this style? It sits on only four wheels, not six and the idea seems much the same. I actually met a single woman that truly enjoyed her Majestic 19, was definitely on her own, and did caravans with a single group quite often.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
This approach sounds insulting to women. Will solo men also be able to purchase this single-bed option? Will solo men use the 4WD?

As a solo 4x4 Class C user for almost 30 years, I have often wished for a single bed option to free up more space for other functions in the small size rigs I prefer.

Not at all, as there is a large group of women who organised a solo women's Rally in Australia of RV users.
No the manufacturer is not excluding men at all, but showing how their small Motorhomes are female friendly

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This approach sounds insulting to women. Will solo men also be able to purchase this single-bed option? Will solo men use the 4WD?

As a solo 4x4 Class C user for almost 30 years, I have often wished for a single bed option to free up more space for other functions in the small size rigs I prefer.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of niche marketing, something for everyone.
The concept that few people will use the capability, but they are happy to have it just in case is how we explain the demise of cars. Everyone seems to want to appear to be outdoorsy and own a "rugged vehicle" even if they never leave the pavement. Sometimes I think that the US is becoming the land of illusion.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sexist advertising? Which โ€œclaimโ€ wouldnโ€™t solo men like? Is that a dry bath or just made to look like one?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad