cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AZ to NV, UT, ID, WY, CO and NM

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
We're going up to Coalville, UT for a wedding in a couple of weeks. Thought we'd make a longer trip out of it. Our route is linked below.

Las Vegas and Montpellier, ID are just to add a sticker to our map. Coalville is the main destination, but thought we'd take to opportunity to go see old faithful and a few other sites in the area.

Lastly, although I've lived in AZ most of my life, I've never visited Meteor Crater. Thought it would be cool.

Route

Any comments on the route are appreciated.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

14 REPLIES 14

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mean to dog all KOAs... we use them on occasion. But that one in Grand Junction is particular is pretty meh... I just went by it less than a week ago.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the OP is adult enough to make their own decision if they want to stay at a KOA or not. No need for everyone to pile on to the KOA hate.

BTW, I've stayed at plenty of private RV Parks that keep adding on the fees to where it is outrageous... that is not exclusive to KOA. Stay at a KOA, don't stay at a KOA but move on from that argument.
I love me some land yachting

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We also avoid KOA if possible. You know KOA stands for "keep on adding".
Betsy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay at a KOA only as a last resort: too pricey for what you get.

Can't generalize about all of them. I would stay at what fits your needs with secondary consideration to budget if possible. IMHO if it's where you want to be when you want to be there it's not too expensive.

If we followed the "too expensive for what you get" philosophy for everything in life then there would be no "need" for anyone to get anything above a pop-up or a TT.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the point of doing all of that traveling to sleep in parking lots and KOAs?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I'm a little late here, but since you're going by it anyway, Look into the James M. Robb State Park just east of Palisade right off I-70. We've stayed there before and while it's close to the highway, the sites by the river are really nice and you can't hear the road noise. I'd rather stay there than the KOA in Grand Junction since that KOA is next to a busier road in a pretty populated area. Fine for an overnight I guess but not when there's nicer options closer by ๐Ÿ™‚

We also just stayed at Rifle Gap State Park just last week, just north of Rifle. It's a favorite spot of ours and it's pretty much right on the way if your timing allows for it. Full hookups in the Lakeview Campground (and maybe others are too, can't remember since we just stay at Lakeview), sites are spread out and it's very quiet. Only negative (or positive depending on how you look at it) there is pretty much zero phone service unless you're by the check in station. In Lakeview, we've stayed in both sites 12 and 14. Great views from those sites and they are pull through and paved, so easy in/out for an overnighter.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
DavinD wrote:
Circus Circus is just a quick overnight. I thought it would be an interesting departure from the normal RV park. Maybe go in, play a little *****. They have a good steak house too.

As for Kanab to 89, I've done that route before, just not with a 40 footer behind me. It is a beautiful area.

**Edit - lol, the profanity filter doesn't like the dice game where you're looking for a 7. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cruds

Kraps

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your route. I disagree about KOAs and parking lot type RV parks. If it were me I would spend a couple of nights in USFS campgrounds in the woods along the way or boondock in a National Forest.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
DavinD wrote:
We're going up to Coalville, UT for a wedding in a couple of weeks. Thought we'd make a longer trip out of it. Our route is linked below.

Las Vegas and Montpellier, ID are just to add a sticker to our map. Coalville is the main destination, but thought we'd take to opportunity to go see old faithful and a few other sites in the area.

Lastly, although I've lived in AZ most of my life, I've never visited Meteor Crater. Thought it would be cool.

Route

Any comments on the route are appreciated.

Not sure of your time table - but we surely enjoyed this route a few times in one of our trips West - Options south from Yellowstone - Catching Flaming Gorge on the Water - Dino on the Green River - Moab along RT 128 and the Colorado - then Ridgway on the water. ๐Ÿ™‚

Think you might have Guessed that I'm a Water Guy - never miss the chance to drive or stay by a River or Lake/Reservoir - So much to See and never enough Time.

Enjoy your adventure,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Before Grand Junction, you may want to consider exploring the Dinosaur Scenic Byway through Colorado and Utah, hitting Vernal (KOA if you desire) as the next stop. I would next continue on the loop back around to Moab (again another KOA). From Moab you can head east to Grand Junction, down to Cortez or Grants (both have KOAs). From there I would try and make a drive through (if not done already) of Painted/Petrified before heading over to Meteor Crater. (Don't forget to go standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona.....)
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
After ID and then your stay at Rock Springs, consider driving south through Flaming Gorge area and staying there before heading through Dinosaur, CO and down towards I70. Flaming Gorge is really beautiful and if your into fishing, even better as the Green River fly fishing in that area rates VERY high. But also research the dinosaur digs and locations for the area.

Also consider looking up Black Canyon of the Gunnison for a slight side trip as you'll be very close to your route in CO.
I love me some land yachting

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Montpelier KOA is a bit pricey but they had a nice pool.Back then (2012)I had my small A-frame Chalet popup and they put in a spot right next to a small stream. There's a nice Oregon Trail museum in Montpelier right at the intersection of the road to KOA and the main drag. They had people in period costumes and "scenes" you walked through I think with narration in the background. I enjoyed it. If you want to call it a day early at Rock Springs there's the fairgrounds that offers camping with at least water and electric. Nothing fancy but a gravel lot. You pay the caretaker who lives on site. Tons of sites that will all be empty but make sure the fair isn't going on when you are there. It's called the Sweetwater Events Complex. I even think they had wifi. At Meteor Crater RV park the exit road to the south (as they lock the main gate at night) is actually old Route 66. If you wander west far enough you might see some partial sections of pavement. If you take that gravel road all the way to the next exit west that is an area called Two Guns with some old ruins of tourism attractions. There is even remnants of what looks like an old KOA.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Circus Circus is just a quick overnight. I thought it would be an interesting departure from the normal RV park. Maybe go in, play a little *****. They have a good steak house too.

As for Kanab to 89, I've done that route before, just not with a 40 footer behind me. It is a beautiful area.

**Edit - lol, the profanity filter doesn't like the dice game where you're looking for a 7. ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay at a KOA only as a last resort: too pricey for what you get. I stay at the Oasis RV Resort in Vegas, very nice. The Circus Circus is just a parking lot. From St George UT I'd head east to Kanab then north on the 89 to intercept the 15, this is a very beautiful route in between two mountain ranges.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE