cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for motorhome to travel to Alaska suggestions?

Iamfreeatlast
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting very close to buying my first and only motorhome. I am planning on full timing in it and go to Canada and then Alaska. Should I get one with no slide outs to help maintain inside temperature?
12 REPLIES 12

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 24โ€™ class C with dinette slide. Itโ€™s the perfect size for 2 of us and very easy to drive and maneuver as well as a good towing capacity. (7500 lbs)
A slide will give you more room when parked but sometimes much less when itโ€™s in.
For just 1 person and dogs, a non slide would be fine without any worry of issues of it not working.
If you want to stay on the shorter side, I narrowed my choices down to the Winnebago 22R, Forest River Sunseeker 2290 and Fleetwood Tioga 25K.
I decided on the Sunseeker and love it. Even with the slide in there is plenty of room to move around. It also has large tank capacities and you canโ€™t beat the Ford V10 and 6. Speed transmission.
Good luck.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Iamfreeatlast
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your post. I am an army of 1 since my husband passed. So I am looking for the least problematic type of motorhome. I donโ€™t need a lot of room just a bed big enough for me and 2 dogs.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Iamfreeatlast wrote:
I am getting very close to buying my first and only motorhome. I am planning on full timing in it and go to Canada and then Alaska. Should I get one with no slide outs to help maintain inside temperature?

I would never get MH with slides,too many potential problems and unecesary if youre alone.
I lived in TC quite comfortably and imagine that any MH would be plenty comfy even without slides.

Iamfreeatlast
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching my numerous options to the tenth degree so that I donโ€™t make a huge monetary mistake. I have been recovering from a severe fall and just now starting to walk again. Everything was put on hold. I will look at the various sites as mentioned and heed their advice. Thank you.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Look at www.rv-dreams.com they are currently travelling in Alaska with friends. Both have Class Cs with slideouts.

Also www.keepyourdaydream.com travelled through Alaska in a travel trailer with slideouts.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
This
is one of my favorites

As far as durability and being well built, It is near the top of the list.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A month ago you were looking to buy a 5er and now a MH. Without a budget and # of people we are just guessing at what you should buy. Heating and cooling is normally not a problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alaska is the US.
The weather is much different than the Lower 48.
I almost froze to death in Alaska on August 31 at the top of Chilkoot Pass.
I worked in SE in 150 inches of rain and wore wool long underwear every day even in July.
The Interior gets warm in summer, but it starts snowing by Labor Day.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice above. Summertime travel in Canada and Alaska is the same as the US.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great place to spend the summer until Sept.
I knew a guy that bought a Sarenghetti MH with a Cummins diesel, but it had no glow plugs. Watch out for things like that.
A medium to smaller MH is easier to buy fuel for and easier to heat.
A diesel is worth considering if you are planning to travel 5,000 miles.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to assume you'll be traveling north in the summer months and not the middle of winter???

Get one with slides - be comfortable. But, you should get one you can use with the slides closed if need be. By that I mean you need to be able to use the kitchen, use the bathroom and use the bedroom without any problems. We leave our slides in more when it's very hot out for better cooling, but have left them in at night when it's cold.

The interior of Canada and Alaska can be very warm during the summer months. Make sure you get a MH with two good working 15K air conditioners and a good dash air conditioner.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Do you plan on being in Alaska during the winter?

I really wouldn't advise that.

there really isn't a coach built with the insulation required for -40 degree temps.

we've done a couple nights in the 20s and our furness runs full time.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.