cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

people ask why i do it

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
a lot of people don't get why I sink enormous amounts of time and effort into camping. burn my toy budget on the camper and fight the weekend crowds since I have to work to do it...............

this sums it up

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
11 REPLIES 11

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Non-campers still ask us- How do you keep warm. Or, what if it's hot? etc, etc.
Jayco-noslide

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Ours are in their fifties and still talk about desert dry camping, sandy winds on the OR coast, Navajo Land, meeting their cousins in Florence OR., their first ever showers(didn't have a shower at home) were at Beacon Rock on the Columbia, digging petrified wood in Prineville,OR, thunder eggs at the potato patch near Wiley's Well near Blythe.

Easter Sunday with their school clerk and her husband in "Q" looking for mutates and quartz crystals.

Grand kid are late teens and still recalling when they wer 3 and 4.

Best Family trips ever, best way to spend money, best way to spend those two weeks earned each year.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping goes back 5 generations in my family.
We all grew up that way.
Rvs are something new.
My Dad is 94 and he just quit camping last year.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Non campers usually don't get why we do it. For me, there are many reasons. The primary one is nature. I get no pleasure from sleeping in a small box with wheels, etc. but I sure like waking up surrounded by forest, or desert, or mountains, or wildlife; yet, I like some amenities. With an RV you get it all.

Agree. Friends of ours have a nice motorhome, but they fly because it's cheaper than driving their RV. They don't get it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of my friends camp with me on my property. We have had as many as 65 people camping in our group. Last Memorial Day weekend, we had 5 people that had never camped before and about 15 that have been camping since they were children.
While traveling, I prefer to keep those groups small, just immediate family-kids and grandkids. We have been asked by a couple of friends to travel together and I have turned them down. They are late risers and my wife and I get up with the sun. That combination does not work.
3 of my kids love camping, the other one not so much.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I tell them it's a different set of expenses and preferences that lead to the same outcome - fun. You gotta try it before you knock it, and maybe they'll love it.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my equivalent of your photo - seems like yesterday - now they are in their 30s.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer

"Enjoy it while you can. You'll be at their High School graduations before you know it."

This sums it up. I have one that just graduated Grad School, one just finished his first year of college, and one a Freshman in HS. A minute ago they were all that age playing in the sand.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Non campers usually don't get why we do it. For me, there are many reasons. The primary one is nature. I get no pleasure from sleeping in a small box with wheels, etc. but I sure like waking up surrounded by forest, or desert, or mountains, or wildlife; yet, I like some amenities. With an RV you get it all.
Jayco-noslide

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
a lot of people don't get why I sink enormous amounts of time and effort into camping. burn my toy budget on the camper and fight the weekend crowds since I have to work to do it...............

this sums it up

Enjoy it while you can. You'll be at their High School graduations before you know it.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

cajun70586
Explorer
Explorer
You only live once make the most of it and have fun