cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
ok - I currently do not have a 5th wheel. we sold the last one several years ago and later I sold the reese 15k pro series hitch and rails.

The 5th wheel was a Wildcat, do not remember the length, but probably in the mid 20 ft range. Had a rear kitchen which the wife really liked.

we are thinking of returning to a 5th wheel. small one - mid 20 ft range. about same size as the one we had before. there is only the 2 of us, so we do not need a bigger one.

question is - I have been looking at the same Reese 15K pro series hitch. But I have also saw a similar Curtis series hitch. The difference is about $100 less for the Curtis.

Any comments?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
22 REPLIES 22

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dads RBW bar broke. I had one also THOUGHT it was a great hitch. Then went B&W. It was weird not hearing any creaking popping and slamming.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
we are thinking of returning to a 5th wheel. small one - mid 20 ft range. about same size as the one we had before. there is only the 2 of us, so we do not need a bigger one. question is - I have been looking at the same Reese 15K pro series hitch. But I have also saw a similar Curtis series hitch. The difference is about $100 less for the Curtis. Any comments?

Its been almost two weeks since the OP asked a simple question about two different hitch brands for his very light weight trailer and as usual it turns into same ol' same ol' mine is best krapz.
Either of the two hitches the OP asked about will work fine for that small trailer.
My only recommendation is make sure the brand you choose will pivot 4 ways. Some of the lighter weight hitches some years back only pivoted fore and aft.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
so what is wrong with a Reese 15K?.. I been running one with the 10K fifth wheel for eons.

Was going to ask the same thing , bought new, a 18K Reese Signature same head as the Elite, 12 years ago. Been a great hitch . Granted not a 15K, but the non the less a Reese. I would venture to guess probably more Reese hitches out there then any other .

Previous to the 18K, I had the 16K Reese , equally a good hitch, but wanted a higher weight rated hitch.

Not really anything wrong with the Reese Hitch. I ran a 16K Select for 14 years. But there are better hitches. When we bought our 18 truck we bought it with the 5'th wheel prep. Also a new B&W in those factory mounts. The B&W is a better made hitch, closer tolerances and heaver gauge steel. The result is less slop, which means less jerking and less noise.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

raston
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL...
The 29footer is an older, heavier unit and the Curt was on for a good price. Otherwise, I'd have gone with a lighter hitch that met my needs.
And seriously, is there really that much difference between a 16K and a 20K hitch, as long as it meets or exceeds your requirements?

OP...
Look at the ones with the features you're interested in and make your choice.
You can't really go wrong with ANY name brand hitch regardless of the many opinions out there.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
raston wrote:
I have run a Curt 20k hitch pulling a 29foot 5th for almost 10 years now. Works great. Solid connection, reliable, never had an issue.

You'll get lots of conflicting opinions on this topic, and lots of 'fan boy' posts promoting their hitch of choice while dismissing everything else as pure junk.

So, look at the ones with the features you're interested in and make your choice.
You can't really go wrong with ANY name brand hitch.

Enjoy!

Not to be a wise azz, but a 20k hitch for a 29' 5er? Kinda like a dually pulling a pop up. Can see why you wouldn't/shouldn't have any problems with this set up. I've only used 3 hitches since I started RVing back in '03. 1st was a Reese "X" weight rating (don't remember) that was a slider and just front/back pivot and was okay and never used the slider even tho it was in a short box truck. Then bought a used Reese 16k 4 way pivot non slider from dealer. Did have chucking and still thought it was a good hitch. I mean afeterall, Reese has been around forever right? When we got the new 5er, IMO, it was more than what I felt comfy with the Reese 16k, so went with B&W 18k Patriot. Yes it's heavy and so are it's frame & bed rails compared to Reese's. It has numerous adjustments you can choose from. NO chucking, solid latching. Wish I had gone this route years ago.

As for the debate on a solid bar or the pincers to lock behind the kingpin, little tidbit of info. I too always thought the solid bar is the best. In discussion with one of our mechanics in our shop (semis), I said this to him about the solid bar. His reply was just the opposite, so I asked him why. He said with a solid bar, you never really know if it actually is 100% "locked" even tho the handle maybe in all the way, whereas the pincer type, when you look at them you know it's locked as there is no gap between the 2 halves. I could see his point, but still felt the solid bar is best. Still see both on semi's and we currently have the solid bar and I not only get under trailer and shine flashlight into jaws t see if it's locked, there is about a 1'2"-3/4" area on the bar that looks different when it's locked, so I know it's all the way across the kingpin. Also, if the pull handle isn't 100% tight against the 5th wheel plate, I know it's not locked all the way. All I know is that I love the B&W.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

raston
Explorer
Explorer
I have run a Curt 20k hitch pulling a 29foot 5th for almost 10 years now. Works great. Solid connection, reliable, never had an issue.

You'll get lots of conflicting opinions on this topic, and lots of 'fan boy' posts promoting their hitch of choice while dismissing everything else as pure junk.

So, look at the ones with the features you're interested in and make your choice.
You can't really go wrong with ANY name brand hitch.

Enjoy!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMMY034 wrote:
sljohnson1938 wrote:
ok - I currently do not have a 5th...

Any comments?

Look at the Demco Recon. American made, dual pivot, wrap-around jaw with lockbar, weighs only 75 lbs.

DEMCO RECON

Yes it looks like a quality US Made hitch.

My concern is the heads pivot point is several inches below the kingpin connection just like the CURT that is known for CHUCKING.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"However there is an after market locking cover for the handle."

Heard this before, never seen anything that would actually work. If there is such a thing it confirms there is a need for such an item.

BIG deal is there are A-HOLES out there and yes that type of behavior has happened.

But if it don't bother you no sweat off my back side.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
laknox wrote:
I've never even =seen= and Andersen, but for a small FW, I don't see why one wouldn't work well. Only real issues are 1) you have to lift the FW several inches higher to hitch/unhitch and that can be an issue with landing legs that might have a shorter stroke; 2) AUH users need to be aware that many states will consider it a ball hitch and require you to use safety chains. I =know= AZ will, assuming you're stopped and checked.

Lyle

No option to lock to the PinBox

SO, what's the big deal about the lock ? However there is an after market locking cover for the handle. Even tho I don't use an Andersen any longer , still don't use a lock on the handle. How many times have you seen a post where some joker pulled someone's handle ? With my 5er sitting on the plate, that guy would have to be one strong dude to pull it open.

JIMMY034
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
ok - I currently do not have a 5th...

Any comments?

Look at the Demco Recon. American made, dual pivot, wrap-around jaw with lockbar, weighs only 75 lbs.

DEMCO RECON
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
I've never even =seen= and Andersen, but for a small FW, I don't see why one wouldn't work well. Only real issues are 1) you have to lift the FW several inches higher to hitch/unhitch and that can be an issue with landing legs that might have a shorter stroke; 2) AUH users need to be aware that many states will consider it a ball hitch and require you to use safety chains. I =know= AZ will, assuming you're stopped and checked.

Lyle

No option to lock to the PinBox

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
so what is wrong with a Reese 15K?.. I been running one with the 10K fifth wheel for eons.

Was going to ask the same thing , bought new, a 18K Reese Signature same head as the Elite, 12 years ago. Been a great hitch . Granted not a 15K, but the non the less a Reese. I would venture to guess probably more Reese hitches out there then any other .

Previous to the 18K, I had the 16K Reese , equally a good hitch, but wanted a higher weight rated hitch.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer