cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing accelerator pedal on 2005 E450 Fleetwood

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2005 Fleetwood 26Q. My husband has noticed that the accelerator pedal is so narrow and sits so close to the motor housing he is having a problem getting his foot on it. Has anyone replaced the pedal with something wider or cut away the housing or have a fix for this.

Thanks for any input.
11 REPLIES 11

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Raise the seat! I’m 6’4” and these seats are too low. They make your knees face out and your foot isn’t square to the accelerator.

I always add spacers to raise my seat two inches or more.

That is exactly what my husband is experiencing. May be that his legs are being pushed out like you said so his foot is not straight on the pedal.
He is also 6'4 and his foot just does not line up with the accelerator pedal so he feels like only his little toe is on it. The new seats and a wider pedal (The RV place we took it do will be doing both) should solve the problem. If it still doesn't work, will look into raising the seat or using a cushion to get him a little higher. He now feels like he is sitting in a hole

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raise the seat! I’m 6’4” and these seats are too low. They make your knees face out and your foot isn’t square to the accelerator.

I always add spacers to raise my seat two inches or more.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe adding a seat cushion to raise driver a little would help with long leg problems. Good luck with new seats.

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I am going to check the covers and we are getting ready to take it out and have it resealed and cab seats replaced. I called him and he said he might have some ideas. He remodels RV's and we have used him for years. I am going to look at covers to see if any might work also.

Bordercollie My husband is feeling the opposite. He feels like the seat is way to low. As he is 6'4 everything he drives the seat is as far back as possible. That is why we are going to replace the cab seats with a little taller seat for him. We are long time RV'rs. Traveled for 6 months of the winter for 12 years. As we have gotten older, health reasons either one or the other kept us home for 3 years plus my husband now does not feel comfortable driving a huge Class A and tow a car so we sold it last year and just now found the short Class C. We had one many years ago and loved it. We just have to do a few modifications to make it ours. Thanks again everyone. My husband just felt like he was using only his little toe on the accelerator. Might get used to it but would be better if wider for sure

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I now wear extra wide New Balance athletic shoes and they rub on the dog house requiring me to point my toe in our Tioga 26Q. Some kind of add-on thick plate carefully crafted not to interfere with brake pedal should work. When we first bought our Tioga 26Q, the seat was too high for me so I made an upholstered platform that fit the shape of the dog house. I guess Flexsteel and Ford engineers had long legs and skinny feet

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it was something that I could not get used to and it really bothered me I would remove the rubber cover on the pedal and bolt on a 1/8 in metal plate wide enough for my foot that would clear the dog house but not too wide that would interfere with the brake pedal. I heard the Chevy chassis have more foot room.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know if it would work on a Ford, but a friend broke his leg, didn't heal right. Holding his foot on the go pedal of his KW hurt so he just bolted another closer to seat. Wires are easier to reroute than rods/linkage..

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
When I drive long distances be it in my personal vehicles OR my motorhome I have found that wearing moccasins (my choice) over my street shoes or sneaks allows my feet to relax more. They are also narrower than my shoes. I wouldn't wear flops or open toes. My bride describes my footsies as "fred flintstones"
When I wear my street shoes I notice they rub on the engine cover.

For that matter, there's nothing wrong or illegal or particularly dangerous with driving barefoot. On a cold day with the heater pumping heat down there it can feel mighty nice on the toes, even.

I'd sooner drive barefoot than with flip-flops, since it's a lot harder to get half a foot stuck under a pedal or something.

I seldom go barefoot, even walking around the house. Now my step son paints on ladders barefoot, not sure if he even owns shoes.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
When I drive long distances be it in my personal vehicles OR my motorhome I have found that wearing moccasins (my choice) over my street shoes or sneaks allows my feet to relax more. They are also narrower than my shoes. I wouldn't wear flops or open toes. My bride describes my footsies as "fred flintstones"

For that matter, there's nothing wrong or illegal or particularly dangerous with driving barefoot. On a cold day with the heater pumping heat down there it can feel mighty nice on the toes, even.

I'd sooner drive barefoot than with flip-flops, since it's a lot harder to get half a foot stuck under a pedal or something.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
The accelerator pedal on the E450's are "fly by wire", which means there is not a throttle cable. They use a Potentiometer built into the pedal assembly to send an electrical signal to the computer to control the throttle. Basically, what I'm saying is you cannot just replace the pedal assembly with another style. Several companies do make add on pedal covers that can increase the width of the OEM pedal, just google search "Throttle Pedal Covers" . I would caution you on adding a cover though, worse case the cover interferes with the engine cover and sticks because yes, it's very close and narrow from the factory. You cannot modify the engine cover by cutting it as it fits a specific cut-out in the floor. I would think after some use, your husband would get used to the factory pedals, I know I had the same concerns and have adjusted to it. Good Luck !