cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Canvas

crossman61
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at a used hybrid today that has some sap stains on the canvas and screen on one bunk end. Does anyone have a suggestion for removing it?

Thanks
Chuck R.
2005 Jayco 23B
2000 Chevrolet Astro
Me,DW, daughter(when she's home from college) and various others
7 REPLIES 7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Goof Off", turpentine or paint thinner.

BobSchaar
Explorer
Explorer
I use diluted "Simple Green" for my awning, roof and sides. Seems to work wonderfully. I also have friends that swear by a cleaner simply called "Awesome". It is orange in color and can be purchased at most dollar stores.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck, I applaud you for trying to get this trailer looking great. Cleaning tent trailers and hybrids is really important as a clean canvas will last longer and remain water proof PROVIDED you don't use some kind of cleaner that will damage it.

The rubbing alcohol sounds like a good option but I would caution you to be very careful. Check with the manufacturer and see what they say. If you can't do that carefully test a small patch before you go crazy. This is all common sense so I apologize if I somehow insulted you. Sometimes good intentions do go astray.

We had a hybrid for about 5 years and still am amazed at how open and spacious it was. I did get some gizmos but only used them when we camped in very cold conditions. My bunk ends were clean when we sold it. I used basic car wash soap with a soft brush. That worked for me. I did remove some very small spots of tree sap using a bug and tar remover formulated for car finishes.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
gwh1bass wrote:
I know rubbing alcohol cleans a vinyl coated exterior bunk end with great results. I only did this in small areas that I needed to patch due to mice chewing through the tent ends, so I cannot speak to the affect on the water proofing of the material, but the area's I cleaned looked like new and this is on 13 year old material that I haven't really cleaned before and it is vinyl, so I don't expect any adverse results.

This was on white bunk end tops. It removed pine tree sap, bird droppings and whatever else. I'm considering soaking an orbital polishing tool with rubbing alcohol and cleaning the entire bunk end top ( yeah I have time for that).

IF you had Popup Gizmos, you wouldn't have to do all that. Way easier to clean the Gizmos, than the canvas.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
I know rubbing alcohol cleans a vinyl coated exterior bunk end with great results. I only did this in small areas that I needed to patch due to mice chewing through the tent ends, so I cannot speak to the affect on the water proofing of the material, but the area's I cleaned looked like new and this is on 13 year old material that I haven't really cleaned before and it is vinyl, so I don't expect any adverse results.

This was on white bunk end tops. It removed pine tree sap, bird droppings and whatever else. I'm considering soaking an orbital polishing tool with rubbing alcohol and cleaning the entire bunk end top ( yeah I have time for that).

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
On the Hybrid we owned a couple of years ago I used peanut butter on the sap, loosed it off then washed the area with dish soap to remove the the peanut butter oil.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If itโ€™s not leaking, Iโ€™d leave it alone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad