Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Refrigerator Change in a Class A Gasser
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Refrigerator Change in a Class A Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach is in my signature. I replaced a Norcold N611RT, the cousin of your Dometic 2862, three years and 16,000 miles with a Magic Chef HMDR1000BE 10 cuft residential. I was pressed for time after the Norcold died and needed to get something in place prior to a two week summer vacation trip in a few days. Don't know if the Magic Chef was the best option but it fit after removing a small overhead cabinet that I never used and was available from Home Depot for $300 and change. Plus it fit thru the coach and the four extra cuft makes a big difference with meal planning and food shopping. If it ever dies I could easily have it out of the coach and a replacement installed in about 45 minutes.

[image]

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA

Replaced a Dometic RM1350. We installed a Samsung 17.5-cu ft Counter-Depth French ........gerator with Ice Maker (Stainless Steel). We love it. Makes Ice. Keeps ice frozen. Keeps ice cream and everything else frozen.

Easy to winterize, with pink.

We love it.

If you are a vet, you can get 10% off on order. You must register on their website. They deliver free. We had it delivered direct to the shop that installed.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Haier 10.1 cu ft replacement fridge is approaching 20,000 miles over the three years we've had it. The only work that's been done it was a compressor relay replacement due to a recall. It took the GE service tech that did the work about 20 minutes. He commented on how much nicer it was to work at the back of the fridge standing up versus laying on the floor in someone's kitchen...

Oh, and my wife really appreciates having a magnetic surface for pictures, notes, etc... [emoticon]

[image]

* This post was edited 06/09/19 05:58pm by Dutch_12078 *

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really, really, really wish people who are ignorant of the actual performance of residential refrigerators in RVs would stop spreading rumors that are just not true. Thousands of residential refrigerators are being used every day in RVs and there are no reports anywhere of massive failures. My Magic Chef has about 30000 miles and it is fine. I use it all the time when boon-docking. It's FINE!!! It uses less power than my Norcold 1200LRIM. Repeat! It uses less electric power than my 3 time failed Norcold. It runs ALL the time, as in ALL the time on power from a mod sine inverter. It stays cold. It WORKS. It is cheap. It WORKS. It is reliable. IT WORKS. I don't understand how these stupid rumors got started but they are false. Please stop spreading them.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't never heard of any negatives on a residential refer in an RV, other than if you want to stay for more than an overnight without hookups. and that could be fixed with a couple of good solar panels!

If and when my fridge dies I will probably go residential.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

vegasfoodguy

Reno Nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

OK, we are discussing changing out our Dometic 2862 for an all electric. One option is the guy who does the conversion in Indiana (JC Refeigeration I believe) and I spoke with him. $750 for him to do it. I just need to get the MH to him. Wife does not like that idea, and wants a new unit. So we've been looking at residential units, and there are a few out there - BUT - folks in the last 2 campgrounds have warned us that the residential units are not made to bounce around in an RV, and we need to look at the Norcold, Dometic Nova Kool, or other all electric units.

Question - who has made the change in their gassers (DP's ride much smoother, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison) and is happy with the performance and longevity, and what did you install.

Al

JC Refrigeration will give you 3 to 6 years warranty, I don't think your residential will do that. By the way, I have a JC unit, 94 degrees outside, 34 in the frig, 0 in freezer.

Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Refrigerator Change in a Class A Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS