Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Both AC's quit.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick history all.

AC's were running, then back ac quit last week, Fan runs on high and low no problems , compressor wouldn't energize, slight hum. This morning, front ac fan was running, but compressor wouldn't start and a terrible odor, something melted maybe??? Anyway, after I open the windows and ran the fantastic fans a while, I ran both ac's on high and low fan, all was well,. Tried to run the ac's for cooling and heard compressors try to start, followed by a humming, I turned them both off immediately, oh and no breakers tripped and no fuses burned. Any suggestions will help, thanks. I got Rv on a dedicated 30amp / 125vac feed, and excellent line voltage / and amperage protection in the Rv, fed from my 200 amp house panel.

Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked in your RV line cord plug for loose frayed wires?

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add start/run capacitors

Songbirds

Chiming Oaks Butterfly Garden Inn

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if at some point the A/C units came on at the same time? This would create a power surge and can blow one of both FUSES. Replace after checking them an offset temp so as to prevent coming on at the same time again.

2020-3500-Coachmen, Galleria, Model 24A, with Li3, 20K-A/C, 3-Solars, 10hr s with NO Recharge, NO Generator, and a pull-out dog food & Water Dish. Two Alternators, one acts as a Generator 2-hr Charge.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is symptomatic of a loss of voltage. The A/C tries to draw full power, and the voltage drops, current goes up, and things fizzle and smell bad.

This is usually caused by a loose connection somewhere either in the feed out to the air compressor, or back from the air conditioner.

In your case, because you have had trouble with both A/C's, it is quite likely in the breaker panel and it could be either the feed to the positive buss in the panel, or the feed to the negative connection buss in the panel. Remember, the wires that are in your plugin connection feed that panel. Having a loose wire there would definitely cause your loss of starting voltage.

Also, check your plug. Also check the feed where you plug in. Can you reach to a different receptacle? Maybe you already have, and that would prove it is in your rig somewhere.

If I had to bet, I would start with the negative bus connection first. While you are in there, tighten all the screws holding wires.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running 2 AC units is not advisable on 30 amp service. EVEN if you have the Low amp model AC units that pull about 10 amps each. Smell is probably the capacitors have failed and the wiring melted slightly. You need to go on top and access the Capacitor cage and verify the wiring is intact at both the capacitors and connections to the Compressors. Doug

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that you say you have excellent voltage at the outlet but I'll bet that if you checked at your RV electrical panel, when the AC's are trying to start, the voltage will be dangerously low. Checking voltage without a load is not giving you accurate information. As an example....if all of the wires in your RV power cord are frayed, except ONE strand, your voltage will still read at 120 volts. Once you try to draw a large load, like AC units, that single, or several, strands cannot handle the current draw and your voltage inside will drop to probably close to 100 volts. This can be loose or frayed wires starting at the plug, and moving back to where they connect to your RV electrical panel. Obviously you want to be careful when working around the electrical panel, especially if you are not sure of what you are doing.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running two air conditioners on 30 amp service for any length of time isn't possible without having problems. Even if you don't trip the circuit breaker you'll melt the plug on your power cord. I seen a few RV with two air conditioners that didn't come from the factor wired for 50 amp but that doesn't make it right and always causes troubles.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT Towed - BX1648 Baseplate
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I got one of those intellitec thermostats ( which i had refurbished last year along with the ECC relay), and its supposed to be able to cyle both, but, alternating the compressor ( their not supposed to be running at the same time)s. After painstakedly tracing hand over hand the power feed from my home panel to and in the rv. It was hell getting at the feeds for the power distribution center, all good, terminals all good, I removed each breaker and inspected the bus bar, all good, no tale tales of arcing, and removed every fuse and checked continuity ( All Good), terminals are tight. So I ran the onan in the off chance I was having a shore power amperage issue. Made no difference, compressors try to start as on shore power, then locked out. Low and high fan run like "scaulded dogs", but the compressors dont have the ummhp. So next step is on the roof to check the capacitors, and to see if anything Has tried to make my RV its house too! So the search goes on.

real4u2c

Hampton, Va.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next jaunt is the roof, when i have a rain free day. Capacitors have ummph to start the compressors, and i got no ummph.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS