cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elkhart to Out West AFTER ACTION REPORT

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Touring Fleetwood next week then out west for the summer.

Best route from Elkhart towards Colorado Springs? We prefer back roads when it makes sense. 90/80 probably only option West of ELkhart?
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
23 REPLIES 23

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Because nice folks went out of their way to suggest the route vs the Interstate and I thought it proper to report back to them and future travelers how it went. Is there a problem doing that?

Nope just couuldn't make a connection, glad it worked out for you.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Because nice folks went out of their way to suggest the route vs the Interstate and I thought it proper to report back to them and future travelers how it went. Is there a problem doing that?

Always nice to have a OP report back if the suggested route worked out.:B

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory, NC

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the route have to do with after action report???
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and campground suggestions along the route. I looked them up and bookmarked for next year's trip.

Did you run into any issues with the flooding when crossing the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers?

It really was a nice trip. Ran 65 most of the way. We'd go a long long time and not have anyone behind us. Roads were good and seeing the little towns fun. Even saw where sliced bread started!

No flooding issues on 36 or the roads getting there. The tributaries were full of water but not threatening the roads (this was the week before 22 June). Lots of corn fields were not planted because of the flooding.
Hickory, NC

caver
Nomad
Nomad
My brother, who drove a semi for many years, suggested years ago I take #36 across Missouri heading northwest. From Sikeston it's maybe a 1-2 mile difference when heading to the northwest. There's a shortcut in Hannibal that shaves off a couple miles. Last September I went out that way and about a month later I was near I70 so just decided to take it all the way to St Louis. And I was quickly remined again how bad traffic is on I70 across Missouri.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback and campground suggestions along the route. I looked them up and bookmarked for next year's trip.

Did you run into any issues with the flooding when crossing the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers?
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Thought I'd report back for future travelers.

You folks were right about US-36! What a great route. Relaxed yet very efficient. We travel about 4 hours a day. So happy to go this far without using a busy Interstate.

Our first stop was the State Fairgrounds in Springfield, IL. Loved touring the city and the park was a great bargain.

Next was Pershing State Park in Laclede, MO. Again a great, quiet park and a bargain.

Next was the Washington KS City Park. 50 amp in a nice setting for $15!

Now we are at Prairie Dog like you suggested. Love it! We're in the new "CR" section with FULL hookups and amazing separation between sites. We're going to stay here for a few days and then do a non-stop to Colorado Springs.

Again, thanks to all. Given how valuable this info was to us will start another one on suggestions for the return via Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, and back to Richmond VA. THANKS!
Hickory, NC

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Why yes we have chatted in the past. Appreciated your help back then and now. We sold the water property a few years ago and are full timers with a base camp in Hickory, NC. This trip is 2 weeks inCO Springs to see son and then around 1 July mosey around Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, etc etc. Nothing detailed planned, just notions. We change our minds at the last minute so schedules don't work for us. We do have to be back in VA in mid August so that is only data point.

Thanks for the shout out! Steve
Hickory, NC

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Thanks all! Great help and advice. 36 it is and looking forward to it and no interstates.

Suggestions on stops to make along 36? It seems Springfield and Lincoln stuff is worth a few days. Others? I have Prairie Dog SP in the plan.

Steve,

Just looked back to see we have communicated before - What all do you intend to try to see once you get to the Foothills?

Looks like the Beach House is rented for the season so you are going for the entire summer?

If Colorado is your only Location this Summer let me suggest this one post as a place to try to enjoy down toward the San Juan's - In and around Ouray for a few days or a Few Weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy your time in Colorado. use the elevation to Keep Cool.

Best of Luck,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Touring Fleetwood next week then out west for the summer.

Best route from Elkhart towards Colorado Springs? We prefer back roads when it makes sense. 90/80 probably only option West of ELkhart?

While in Elkhart, you might want to visit the RV/MH Hall of Fame. They have a large display of RV's, Campers, and Motorhomes, most of which are displayed indoors. We found it an enjoyable stop.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Thanks all! Great help and advice. 36 it is and looking forward to it and no interstates.

Suggestions on stops to make along 36? It seems Springfield and Lincoln stuff is worth a few days. Others? I have Prairie Dog SP in the plan.

Not sure how many miles you want to make each day but, we'll usually do Springfield to eastern KS in one day on US 36. For an overnight stop in NE KS, here are a couple suggestions which could break up your trip about right: Seneca, KS Bailey's Good Sam Park or on down the road 30 miles, Marysville Walmart or Marysville City Park Campground. Both little towns offer some neat history along the original Oregon Trail and both have quaint Pony Express Museums if that might be of interest.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer

Hickory, NC

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living on the SW side of Indy we've been down rt 31 more than once. I would strongly suggest staying North of Carmel--traffic from there down into Indy is intense, almost any time of day. I haven't been on either in years but both US 24 and IN 32 should be good routes to start West. They are both 2 lane with a few small towns in IN. US 20 South of Elkhart West to US 31 is decent, but has a few trucks. Just did it last month.