cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A automatic leveling never works!

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Itasca that we LOVE except for the leveling effort when we reach our destination. We've had mechanics look at the Power Gear leveling system many times but the issue continues!

Went to the RV leveler blocks many years ago and now find those are cracking and generally need replacing. I understand those that love wood as a leveler, but we've attempted to keep things as lightweight as possible, without sacrificing safety.

Does anyone have a suggestion? What brand of leveling blocks do you use?

We're just not going to give up on this gem of a motor home. On the other hand we don't want to go to concrete slab destinations either! Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

deprived
Explorer
Explorer
viajante wrote:
What brand of leveling blocks do you use?

Since this was your original question, I'll answer it. I use LevelLynx. They're light and cheap and fairly durable and you can get them at any Walmart.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Our problem is even on what appears to be level sites, the auto level goes till at least one wheel is off the ground. Will definitely try the manual, one jack at a time method. Thank you all for the feedback.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Auto level systems do get out of calibration. Use your manual override, put down each jack until you feel it barely touch ground, then level with your right -left setting forside to side,
Then to your front-rear setting to level front to back.
Dont trust the auto bubble, check with a carpenters level or better yet a frying pan with a little bit of water, its a 4 way level. Move it to several places in the rig, you will be surprised, average what you see. Then if you can recalibrate the system.

I level mine at the frig, and also check the doors.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
It shows in the book that came with ours how to reset the auto level, Done mine on our level garage floor. works good after that. but before would have to tweek a little after auto level. We have the electric level leggs.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2007 Allergro that the leveling jacks quit working & the repair shop "reset" the system & now all works well
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Winnebago and had a tec. talk on the phone with the manufactor while adjusting the auto leverer .. works great ever since.. good luck on yours

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My auto level works great. It does lift a wheel or 2 off the ground when needed, but thatโ€™s what makes it level!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
we are the original owners of the coach in our signature. I used the automatic level function exactly twice in nearly 12 years and 97,000 miles. The automatic level raised the coach way too high. I have learned how to use the MANUAL level function per the instruction manual. Much easier and faster than waiting and watching the automatic function groan on and on while lifting at least one tire off the ground.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 3 coaches with Powergear automatic levelors, never had an issue. Most of the time we look for level sites to begin with. a few times we ended up on sites that were pitched and used them manually, useally with wood blocks under the feet. Seems strange that an RV tech hasn't been able to find the issue and make repairs.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Auto level systems do get out of calibration. Use your manual override, put down each jack until you feel it barely touch ground, then level with your right -left setting forside to side,
Then to your front-rear setting to level front to back.
Dont trust the auto bubble, check with a carpenters level or better yet a frying pan with a little bit of water, its a 4 way level. Move it to several places in the rig, you will be surprised, average what you see. Then if you can recalibrate the system.

MrWizard
I use the push buttons to get it level
Rather use the buttons to level hydraulically
Than mess with blocks where not needed
If I need blocks, I put them under the leveling jacks
Not the tires
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
As above, define what is happening when you auto level. Weโ€™ve had to train the system as to what is level, and it helps. (We have a different system than you, for mine there is a procedure for โ€œsetting the nullโ€ which is techno babel for telling the system what is level) At the same time, Iโ€™ll say that IF the site is reasonably level to start with, we will press the auto level. Otherwise we will level it manually using the buttons on the controller. Even then sometimes we have to adjust the location of the MH on the site to get it the way we want it.

We donโ€™t use leveling blocks, but do have some wood blocks that Iโ€™ll take with us if I know we will be parked on dirt or gravel. These are primarily for providing a good base, so just a single board per foot.

And we have had auto level crack a windshield so be aware.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Exactly what types of issues are you having? Do they not auto adjust, not work at all, get stuck, etc???

I have found that the automatic mode on any of the class A's we have had worked a little wonky. They simply do things and continually micro adjust to the point that it twists and groans and usually ends up with one wheel off the ground. Once I swore the windshield was going to pop out. The auto level simply does way more than it has to. In my experience - in all three class A's we've owned, that manual mode on the leveling jacks is the only way to go. I have a level app on my phone and adjust the jacks accordingly. Way more easier and I think it's overall better for the RV.

KISS method.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS