cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator not working Norcold N611

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Second time out in a new camper. It worked great the first time. I had it on for 15 hours yesterday when my wife called me at work and said that it wasn't cold yet. I had her switch it to gas and it didn't help. Freezer was warm. I had to wait until this morning when I got home from work to check it out. Been on now almost 6 hours this time and again the freezer is still warm. The fridge reads 67°. Neither electric or LP gets it cold. The ammonia tank and lines are very warm almost hot and I can hear it circulate. We have flame and the electric works too. The led is green. No trouble codes. The thermistor reads 10.6 k and according to the Norcold chart that's dead on. I'm watching the temps using my Fluke with a thermocouple wire. What can I check next? We're camping this weekend and I may end up having to use coolers.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet
19 REPLIES 19

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
These absorption refrigerators are junk. Too many controls and ******** to contend with and in hot weather they barely cool . Have to use fans and other gimmicks.. Junk I say !

Hmm... mine seems to work just fine, even in hot weather. The one in my previous TT never missed a beat in the 13 years I owned it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Mine also died after a few trips when it was new and the repair was the same. On the good side it's now been 14 years and still going strong. Hopefully your repaired unit performs the same.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
We've only ran the fridge one other time and we were level. It's a brand new trailer.
Todd

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
LoudRam wrote:
Ava wrote:
Unless you are way off level, it sounds like the cooling unit is plugged and there is not much of a fix for that.

Your the winner. The cooling unit is bad. They have the new part on order and it's being covered under warranty as it should be. We should have it back in time for our next scheduled trip in July. I know it's unusual for something to fail that quickly but in my line of work I've seen brand new parts come out of the box bad so I guess anything is possible.

Thanks for letting us know they found the problem and the solution. I wonder why it went bad? Do you run the fridge out of level a lot of the time ??

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
LoudRam wrote:
Ava wrote:
Unless you are way off level, it sounds like the cooling unit is plugged and there is not much of a fix for that.

Your the winner. The cooling unit is bad. They have the new part on order and it's being covered under warranty as it should be. We should have it back in time for our next scheduled trip in July. I know it's unusual for something to fail that quickly but in my line of work I've seen brand new parts come out of the box bad so I guess anything is possible.

Great, the problem was identified and it's under warranty. If memory serves, the cooling unit is warranted for 3 years by Norcold. We had the N611 in our WhiteHawk. Freezer always worked well, the fridge would be challenged in the hot summer months but we never had milk turn to cottage cheese or died of food poisoning from spoiled food stored in the fridge. But, the mildly cold Miller Lite, that was an issue. :B

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for checking back in. These things happen but usually when you are out on the road. Glad it will be ready to go for you soon.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:

Todd

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
JCR-1 wrote:
These absorption refrigerators are junk. Too many controls and ******** to contend with and in hot weather they barely cool . Have to use fans and other gimmicks.. Junk I say !

Everybody keeps saying that. I sold my old 2004 trailer to a friend. The "junk" 15 year old Dometic still freezes ice cream rock hard. My new "junk" Dometic, 5 years old, still somehow does the same. Go figure.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
LoudRam wrote:
Our trailer is at the dealership. I'll let you know what they find.

Thank you, I am curious to see what they find out.

I like my absorption fridge. But, I do have a older, and apparently better one. Sometimes I go dry camping and with my 2 golf cart batteries I good to go for the weekend with no electricity. .

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is at the dealership. I'll let you know what they find.
Todd

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCR-1 wrote:

And your solution is?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
This should not be happening. You said new trailer, it must still be under warranty

It is. If it was a quick easy fix, I'd do it. But since it isn't, I'll be calling for an appointment on Monday.
Todd

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
This should not be happening. You said new trailer, it must still be under warranty
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"